Re: new layout opinion time for switching

  • Chris Mears
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hello again, thanks for the input so far.

      I agree that there are a great number of variations on the continuous
      run layout theme, and the feedback with layout design suggestions has
      been great too!

      Thanks for the feedback on rail size. I don't mind thinking of
      something closer to scale for a later project, but now I just want to
      get building, and my research tells me that the pile of
      MicroEngineering code 55 rail I already have will more than suffice to
      produce trackwork that should be directly interchangeable with
      Marklin, MT, and so on. What are the wheel flanges like on Marklin,
      can they handle the smaller rails (I only have MT trucks and wheelsets
      so far).

      With regard to operation, what I am curious to, and perhaps the
      allusion will have to suffice, but (given optimal conditions), is
      switching cars a possibility? What is the slow speed running like? I
      have been able to look through many of the videos online featuring Z
      layouts, and I am really impressed with the smooth operation over the
      main that is acheiveable. Perhaps I need to re-think, and consider a
      continuous run myself with options to set out cars?

      Happy new year all, thanks for taking the time to contribute to this
      list and make it (and the scale too!) so interesting.

      Chris Mears
      Charlottetown, PEI