modest suggestions

  • Richard Minutillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      There have abeen a fair number of posts from new users lately ('tis the
      season, I guess) and I can't help mentioning a couple of things I've
      found useful in the few months I've been in Z.

      Temporary layouts: I like playing with the geometry of track and, yes,
      creating interesting loop layouts in small spaces. I've found that plain
      pegboard makes a nice base for these temporary or experimental
      layouts. You can get it in smallish pieces (2' X 2' and 2' X 4' are
      common) and the peg holes provide a ready-made grid, and make neat
      wiring a snap, especially if you put little rubber feet on the edges of
      the board, to give it a 1/4" clearance or so from the work table.

      Dremel makes what it calls a 'golfers friend' tool, the battery powered
      Minimite 760. It's very inexpensive, takes all normal Dremel
      attachments, and since it's cordless it's quite easy and convenient to
      work with.

      Likewise, Red Devil makes a very small hand-held rechargable vacuum
      called the Detailer (model CV1000) and provides just enough suction to
      actually be useful, but not enough to do damage on a layout.

      And of course, the most useful thing: this list and the good folks who
      patiently answer questions.

      RGMinutillo