Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Also new for Christmas

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hej Solvej,

      jeg håber du er kommet godt i det nye år :-)

      > I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
      > words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
      > is in English,

      it shouldn't be to difficult, but if you are more comfortable with
      German, then Jeremy understands that as well I believe :-)

      And you can mail me in Danish too. We will work out any problem in one
      of these ways.

      But anyway, since you wrote you had connected the track with the
      transformer (is this the right English word? In German it's a
      Transformator, maybe just name it power source, that's also closer to
      "strømforsyning"), and your trains are running, then this hurdle is
      mastered. About which color goes to which side of the track, Jeremys
      file is a perfect source.

      I just would add that for the installation of more than one power
      source you can isolate the track sections with the isolating rail
      joiners (Maerklin item 8954. To look those numbers up go to
      www.maerklin.de there to "Produkte" and "Produkt Datenbank" there you
      can search for the item#). Those are plastic rail joiners, that are
      used instead of the original ones. They might be not the perfect
      choice for the final layout, but I'm not sure about which way to use
      then too. For a temporary layout to learn about all those things they
      are just fine.

      > It will hopefully be easier when I start the acutall building.

      as you will see, it's not as complicated as it might look right now.

      > I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board to begin with,
      > to get some experience,

      this is exactly what I did. First I laid out the track, like shown on
      my start set. I got one with one oval, a siding and the yard in the
      middle...
      ...and that's where the turn outs came into the picture.

      Then I got more tracks and turn outs, and laid out a first own layout
      with a outer and an inner oval, which each has some sidings, and the
      inner oval has a yard and a reverse loop in the middle. This layout is
      only build to test out those wiring questions that might come up. I
      have posted some pictures of this layout in the Photo section of this
      group:

      Photos
      Uwe Liermann
      Layout and Switchboards

      Each oval has it's own power source and is isolated against the other
      with those plastic rail joiners. And each siding is isolated against
      the responding oval like Jeremy writes in his file. The same goes for
      the reverse loop in the middle, which is an isolated part too. Here
      you also have to watch out for the polarity of the rails. I used the
      set from Maerklin item# 8993.

      I also have installed three Maerklin uncouplers, but one is not
      working. There are a better solution to be found from a other source.
      But here Jeremy will be the better source of information too :-)

      Now I have a total of 7 track parts where I can park a train or at
      least an engine, while I can run 2 others at the same time
      individually.

      All this is fairly easy accomplished with the standard Maerklin parts.
      For a final layout I will probably not use those switch boxes from
      maerklin, but for now they are just right.
      BTW: with some switches I work two turn outs at the same time. Where
      the inner and the outer oval are connected it makes no sense to work
      those two turn outs separately, just to name one spot.

      For some small insights about the colors of the wiring of turn outs
      and the use of switch boxes and those little metal things you might
      read the thread started by Tina Fraser in July 2004: Wiring Question.
      It starts with message 24913:

      only I renamed the folder "Wirepics" to "Switchboards" since then...

      > but my first big goal is to build something in a briefcase, that I
      > can bring along.

      That's my goal at the moment too. And a hint from this side about the
      power source and the speed control of a briefcase layout: Jeremy has a
      fine speed regulator for this situation which is just great to work
      with. Only downside is, that it is some soldering work to be done to
      install the DeLuxe speed regulator.
      The layout to be seen in the photo section is momentary in use for
      running my trains, and I learned a lot about wiring (at least I know
      now what I will do different next time). Currently I try to make a
      layout in an old aluminium case I used long ago for my camera and
      flashlight. I will post pictures as soon as there is some more
      progress done.

      --
      HilZen
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
        Solvej

        I began with my first layout with this group and they worked me
        through wiring and on to soldering. I knew little about either until
        I started Zing--so if I can learn--you can too. The guys here are
        very patient with all our questions--and answer all of them--even if
        they have been asked before.

        Good Luck
        Ellen
        Indianapolis

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Solvej Rolin" <rolin@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Jeremy
        >
        > Thanks for the link!
        >
        > I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't
        know the
        > words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out
        what it
        > is in English, but I WILL learn :o) It will hopefully be easier
        when I start
        > the acutall building. I will try and build a simple track on a
        wooden board
        > to begin with, to get some experience, but my first big goal is to
        build
        > something in a briefcase, that I can bring along.
        >
        > Solvej
        >

        > I posted something a while back that you could try, although it may
        > not start at the right place for you:

        > You are welcome to email me if you have any questions. Jeremy.

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 2, 2005
          Hej Solvej,

          > I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
          > very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

          If your time allows for it, you could join one of the two weekly chat
          sessions. One is on Wednesday for a voice chat (but I can't get it
          working on this end, so I'm not sure about times), and the other one
          is on Sunday from 19:00 Danish/German time with an open end :-)

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
            -

            > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
            > NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for
            dummies"
            --
            Same here. But I follow the instructions from Maerklin 0299
            (Gleisanlagenbuch, clear introduction in connections etc.) and 07770

            Arno
          • Jeremy Brandon
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
              > But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
              > somewhere in the last years

              This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
              my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
              turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
              check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
              manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
              reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
              rumour? Jeremy.
            • Peter Ibbotson
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                >> But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                >> somewhere in the last years
                >
                >This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                >my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                >turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                >check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                >manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                >reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                >rumour? Jeremy.

                I don't know if it's been corrected BUT the "brown" controller I have is
                back to front to the two white ones I have. They also have different output
                wave forms when looked at on a scope. The brown version also "matches" the
                documentation.

                To be honest since I'm part way down the going DCC route I'm not that
                bothered. I just need to sort out what the problem is with reading values
                back from a CTElektronic decoder (I have a cunning plan but the room where
                the workbench is currently occupied so I've been doing plan designs on
                computer)

                --
                Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX