RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Also new for Christmas

  • Solvej Rolin
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi Jeremy

      Thanks for the link!

      I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
      words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
      is in English, but I WILL learn :o) It will hopefully be easier when I start
      the acutall building. I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board
      to begin with, to get some experience, but my first big goal is to build
      something in a briefcase, that I can bring along.

      Solvej

      I posted something a while back that you could try, although it may
      not start at the right place for you:

      You are welcome to email me if you have any questions. Jeremy.

    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hej Solvej,

        jeg håber du er kommet godt i det nye år :-)

        > I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
        > words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
        > is in English,

        it shouldn't be to difficult, but if you are more comfortable with
        German, then Jeremy understands that as well I believe :-)

        And you can mail me in Danish too. We will work out any problem in one
        of these ways.

        But anyway, since you wrote you had connected the track with the
        transformer (is this the right English word? In German it's a
        Transformator, maybe just name it power source, that's also closer to
        "strømforsyning"), and your trains are running, then this hurdle is
        mastered. About which color goes to which side of the track, Jeremys
        file is a perfect source.

        I just would add that for the installation of more than one power
        source you can isolate the track sections with the isolating rail
        joiners (Maerklin item 8954. To look those numbers up go to
        www.maerklin.de there to "Produkte" and "Produkt Datenbank" there you
        can search for the item#). Those are plastic rail joiners, that are
        used instead of the original ones. They might be not the perfect
        choice for the final layout, but I'm not sure about which way to use
        then too. For a temporary layout to learn about all those things they
        are just fine.

        > It will hopefully be easier when I start the acutall building.

        as you will see, it's not as complicated as it might look right now.

        > I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board to begin with,
        > to get some experience,

        this is exactly what I did. First I laid out the track, like shown on
        my start set. I got one with one oval, a siding and the yard in the
        middle...
        ...and that's where the turn outs came into the picture.

        Then I got more tracks and turn outs, and laid out a first own layout
        with a outer and an inner oval, which each has some sidings, and the
        inner oval has a yard and a reverse loop in the middle. This layout is
        only build to test out those wiring questions that might come up. I
        have posted some pictures of this layout in the Photo section of this
        group:

        Photos
        Uwe Liermann
        Layout and Switchboards

        Each oval has it's own power source and is isolated against the other
        with those plastic rail joiners. And each siding is isolated against
        the responding oval like Jeremy writes in his file. The same goes for
        the reverse loop in the middle, which is an isolated part too. Here
        you also have to watch out for the polarity of the rails. I used the
        set from Maerklin item# 8993.

        I also have installed three Maerklin uncouplers, but one is not
        working. There are a better solution to be found from a other source.
        But here Jeremy will be the better source of information too :-)

        Now I have a total of 7 track parts where I can park a train or at
        least an engine, while I can run 2 others at the same time
        individually.

        All this is fairly easy accomplished with the standard Maerklin parts.
        For a final layout I will probably not use those switch boxes from
        maerklin, but for now they are just right.
        BTW: with some switches I work two turn outs at the same time. Where
        the inner and the outer oval are connected it makes no sense to work
        those two turn outs separately, just to name one spot.

        For some small insights about the colors of the wiring of turn outs
        and the use of switch boxes and those little metal things you might
        read the thread started by Tina Fraser in July 2004: Wiring Question.
        It starts with message 24913:

        only I renamed the folder "Wirepics" to "Switchboards" since then...

        > but my first big goal is to build something in a briefcase, that I
        > can bring along.

        That's my goal at the moment too. And a hint from this side about the
        power source and the speed control of a briefcase layout: Jeremy has a
        fine speed regulator for this situation which is just great to work
        with. Only downside is, that it is some soldering work to be done to
        install the DeLuxe speed regulator.
        The layout to be seen in the photo section is momentary in use for
        running my trains, and I learned a lot about wiring (at least I know
        now what I will do different next time). Currently I try to make a
        layout in an old aluminium case I used long ago for my camera and
        flashlight. I will post pictures as soon as there is some more
        progress done.

        --
        HilZen
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
          Solvej

          I began with my first layout with this group and they worked me
          through wiring and on to soldering. I knew little about either until
          I started Zing--so if I can learn--you can too. The guys here are
          very patient with all our questions--and answer all of them--even if
          they have been asked before.

          Good Luck
          Ellen
          Indianapolis

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 2, 2005
            Hej Solvej,

            > I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
            > very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

            If your time allows for it, you could join one of the two weekly chat
            sessions. One is on Wednesday for a voice chat (but I can't get it
            working on this end, so I'm not sure about times), and the other one
            is on Sunday from 19:00 Danish/German time with an open end :-)

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
              -

              > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
              > NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for
              dummies"
              --
              Same here. But I follow the instructions from Maerklin 0299
              (Gleisanlagenbuch, clear introduction in connections etc.) and 07770

              Arno
            • Jeremy Brandon
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                > But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                > somewhere in the last years

                This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                rumour? Jeremy.
              • Peter Ibbotson
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                  >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                  >> But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                  >> somewhere in the last years
                  >
                  >This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                  >my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                  >turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                  >check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                  >manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                  >reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                  >rumour? Jeremy.

                  I don't know if it's been corrected BUT the "brown" controller I have is
                  back to front to the two white ones I have. They also have different output
                  wave forms when looked at on a scope. The brown version also "matches" the
                  documentation.

                  To be honest since I'm part way down the going DCC route I'm not that
                  bothered. I just need to sort out what the problem is with reading values
                  back from a CTElektronic decoder (I have a cunning plan but the room where
                  the workbench is currently occupied so I've been doing plan designs on
                  computer)

                  --
                  Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                  Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX