Re: [Z_Scale] looking for alternate mfr ’s to marklin

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 10:39:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      lexicats@... writes:
      Micro-Trains.....and any others anyone may know of? Is it that the
      length and breadth of the Micro-Trains line is not as great as
      Marklin or am I unable to see the larger picture of the
      Micro-Trains line? Are there mechanical differences between
      Marlin and MT, which a newcomer should know about?

      Kirk,
      Micro-trains has a fairly large selection of Z rolling stock, but at this
      time, they only offer one locomotive, the F7(in several roadnames). Their website
      doesn't really show what is available. Every month, they release 2 or 3 new
      or reprinted cars. Lately, their new releases have sold out fairly quickly, but
      there are a lot of stores that have stock. Tim mentioned Model Bahn Ott as a
      source for PennZee, they are also a good source for Micro-trains products.
      Below are a couple of other sources for micro-trains Z. Norms is a good source
      for newer releases. They also have good prices on the F7s if you don't mind
      waiting a couple of extra days. http://www.normstrainworld.com/z_scale.htm.
      Another lesser known source is Pennsylvania Model Railroad Supply (www.parail.com)
      Search by Microtrains and Z scale. They also have other Z products. A larger
      on-line dealer that has a lot of Microtrains is Caboose Hobbies
      (www.caboosehobbies.com). They also have AZL, Marklin, and a lot of other accesory
      manufacturers.

      A good source for FR and PennZee products in the states is Will Wright
      (Uncle Will). He does many special runs and has offerings that no other PennZee
      dealer has. He is also an excellent source for out of production and hard to
      find American Marklin items.(http://sbiii.com/fulthrtl/fulthrtl.html) . He is
      an excellent resource. The web site listed here provides hi e-mail address and
      some background. It also provides a link to his permanent on-line store on the
      major auction site (that I wasn't sure if I could list here).

      The biggest thing to keep in mind between MT, FR, AZL and PennZee is the
      coupler types. MT cars can be fairly easily converted to Marklin "style"
      couplers if you can't find a car you like with marklin type. I also know that Uncle
      Will has provided Pennzee sets with Marklin Style couplers. But, converting
      Marklin products to MT knuckle couplers is a bit more difficult.

      Dan S.