That video!

  • Jeremy Brandon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Regarding the video link I posted recently, (I hope everyone who
      wanted to see it has managed now.) I just noticed I had not answered
      Roberts question: "Is it a tv news clip?"

      No, it is part of a 30 minute program. The TV station in south-west
      Germany (SWR) has a long-running series called "Eisenbahn Romantik"
      (Railway Romance):

      http://www.swr.de/eisenbahn-romantik/ (translates nicely into English)

      While Manfred Joerger and I were at the Modellbau Bodensee exhibition:

      http://www.modellbau-bodensee-messe.de (translates not so nicely)

      the Eisenbahn Romantik film team were making a program of the model
      railway part of the exhibition. The program was called "Layouts to
      fall in love with"!

      The team did some really nice shots of Manfred's layout (which were
      included in the program) and then wanted to film the loco depot. "No
      problem" said Manfred helpfully, and passed them over to me. I had
      never run the depot! I had no idea how the controls worked. We had not
      even cleaned the trackwork because the depot is just for display. I
      cleaned a section of track, put a loco on it and tried the controls -
      it was hopeless! "Never mind" said the cameraman, "We'll come back
      tomorrow."

      So I spent the rest of that day and the next cleaning the track,
      familiarising myself with the controls, finding locos that ran well.
      Checking, checking, checking! I happened to have a spare DeLuxe in my
      bag which I installed into the control box. Now the locos ran OK. But
      the turntable had problems: it would not start every time and not
      every track got power.

      Manfred and I worked hours on the turntable. The cameraman filmed us
      at intervals - that is the first part of the video. The team gave us
      another day. Eventually the moment arrived for the final filming -
      that is the second part of the video. It worked!

      It's so much fun to play trains. Jeremy.