looking for alternate mfr’s to marklin

  • lexicats
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy New Year! I have been a member since, well, 48 hours,
      and I am incredibly impressed by the info presented on this site
      and the communications among its kind and ever-generous and
      helpful members. I've honestly never seen any group,
      regardless of genre, be so free in providing info. Markin, it
      seems to me as newcomer, to be the standard authority and the
      vest manufacturer in "z," and understandably the most frequently
      mentioned on the site. I wanted to ask anyone who might know
      of resources for other manufacturers, such as
      Micro-Trains.....and any others anyone may know of? Is it that the
      length and breadth of the Micro-Trains line is not as great as
      Marklin or am I unable to see the larger picture of the
      Micro-Trains line? Are there mechanical differences between
      Marlin and MT, which a newcomer should know about?
      Unfortunately, I have only questions and too many of them. I
      would be most appreciative to receive any answers at all,
      and I thank you for your assistance and again defer and bow to
      those who built and participate in this wonderful "z" resource,
      and I've only waded in ankle-deep!

      Best wishes for the new year, Kirk Reynolds
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        Kirk,
        I know of a few. Marklin and Micro-Trains are the two largest. The
        others are American Z Line (AZL), Swiss Z Line (SZL), PennZee, FR in
        Germany, and the Victoria RR.

        AZL/SZL - http://www.ztrack.com/
        PennZee -
        http://www.modellbahnott.com/marklinhomepage/pennzee/index.html
        FR - http://www.fr-model.de/
        Victoria _ http://www.victoriarr.com/

        I know their are a few others, but not much. The good thing is
        We "Z" are growing! I know others will add to this post so i will
        end my part here.

        Welcome Aboard Kirk, have a Happy New Year!

        Tim
      • Tom Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
          There's also the following in the USA:

          Robt. Ray's cars at

          http://www.featherrivertrains.com/

          Lajos Thek's German electric freight car, proposed SW
          switcher kit(when will it be ready?), and other
          products at

          http://www.zthek.com/index.htm

          Future releases at

          http://www.smallscalelogistics.com/zscale.html

          [Small Scale may have had a swithcher shell, but maybe
          it was someone else.]

          and at

          http://www.mark4design.com/index.html

          If I missed someone, my apologies.

          There are also European manufacturers other than
          Marklin:

          http://www.hecklkleinserien.de/index.htm

          http://www.heico-modell.de/start.html

          http://www.jann-modell.de/

          http://www.mikkelsen.ch/index_en.htm

          http://www.saller-modelle.de/main.htm

          http://www.westmodel.de/index.html

          There may be more, but I don't follow Euro trains
          though I do admire them.

          I know that there's at least one UK product, but I
          can't find the link just now.

          There seems to be some Japanese products, but they are
          pretty much a mystery to me. AFAIK, they are based on
          Japanese prototypes.

          Edited from sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...>

          [snip]

          Marklin

          Micro-Trains

          American Z Line (AZL)

          Swiss Z Line SZL)

          PennZee

          FR in Germany - Plus Uncle Will's special issues.

          Victoria RR - Victoria has not been answering email
          and hasn't released its product.

          AZL/SZL - http://www.ztrack.com/

          PennZee - Plus Uncle Will's special issues.

          http://www.modellbahnott.com/marklinhomepage/pennzee/index.html
          and at several other vendors.

          FR - http://www.fr-model.de/

          Victoria _ http://www.victoriarr.com/

          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
        • Kirk Reynolds
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
            Thank you Tom for all your help.
            There seems to be a lot...and there
            seems to be a little...Thank you very
            much for providing all those links.
            It�s been a fun search thus far,
            thanks to you...where there is something
            cool, it is trully great!

            Look forward to learning more
            and greatly appreciate your help.

            Best wishes,

            KIRK REYNOLDS
            126 Walnut Street
            South Portland, ME 04106
          • Kirk Reynolds
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
              Dear Tim,

              Thanks so much for all your help.
              You�ve given me a good start,
              and I see it will not be a simple matter
              to stop! Maybe that is a good thing!

              With all best wishes to you in 05!

              KIRK REYNOLDS
              126 Walnut Street