RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Also new for Christmas

  • Solvej Rolin
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1 7:19 AM
      Hi
      I live close to Helsingor, (Elsinore) in the Northeastern part of Denmark.
      We have several dealers here who has Z but most of them only have a very
      tiny selection, but Josti (www.josti.dk) has a lot of mini-club.
      www.togcenter.dk er very nice people and they also have some used Z items,
      most of what i got for Christmas was used but in great condition and runs
      smoothly.

      The biggest problem is that most of them are hobby dealers and have very
      limited opening hour, and that makes it hard to go visit and see what they
      have. I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
      very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

      My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
      NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for dummies"
      to get started, I can manage to but the vires in the little track and
      connect it to the power-gizmo (I have no idea what it's called in
      English????) in Danish it is "stromforsyning"

      Happy new year to everyone!

      Solvej Rolin
      Answer too:
      " BTW: if I may ask, where's your location in Denmark? And how is your
      situation with Z-scale dealers in your area? Last summer I tried to
      find a model rail road dealer on Fyn (I did pack an empty turnout box
      in my vacation package... :-( ). I found only one dealer in Odense."

    • Jeremy Brandon
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1 7:44 AM
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Solvej Rolin" <rolin@a...> wrote:
        > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecile
        > and know NOTHING about these things, I could really use an
        > "electronics for dummies" to get started.

        I posted something a while back that you could try, although it may
        not start at the right place for you:

        You are welcome to email me if you have any questions. Jeremy.
      • Solvej Rolin
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1 12:19 PM
          Hi Jeremy

          Thanks for the link!

          I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
          words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
          is in English, but I WILL learn :o) It will hopefully be easier when I start
          the acutall building. I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board
          to begin with, to get some experience, but my first big goal is to build
          something in a briefcase, that I can bring along.

          Solvej

          I posted something a while back that you could try, although it may
          not start at the right place for you:

          You are welcome to email me if you have any questions. Jeremy.

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 1 3:40 PM
            Hej Solvej,

            jeg håber du er kommet godt i det nye år :-)

            > I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
            > words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
            > is in English,

            it shouldn't be to difficult, but if you are more comfortable with
            German, then Jeremy understands that as well I believe :-)

            And you can mail me in Danish too. We will work out any problem in one
            of these ways.

            But anyway, since you wrote you had connected the track with the
            transformer (is this the right English word? In German it's a
            Transformator, maybe just name it power source, that's also closer to
            "strømforsyning"), and your trains are running, then this hurdle is
            mastered. About which color goes to which side of the track, Jeremys
            file is a perfect source.

            I just would add that for the installation of more than one power
            source you can isolate the track sections with the isolating rail
            joiners (Maerklin item 8954. To look those numbers up go to
            www.maerklin.de there to "Produkte" and "Produkt Datenbank" there you
            can search for the item#). Those are plastic rail joiners, that are
            used instead of the original ones. They might be not the perfect
            choice for the final layout, but I'm not sure about which way to use
            then too. For a temporary layout to learn about all those things they
            are just fine.

            > It will hopefully be easier when I start the acutall building.

            as you will see, it's not as complicated as it might look right now.

            > I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board to begin with,
            > to get some experience,

            this is exactly what I did. First I laid out the track, like shown on
            my start set. I got one with one oval, a siding and the yard in the
            middle...
            ...and that's where the turn outs came into the picture.

            Then I got more tracks and turn outs, and laid out a first own layout
            with a outer and an inner oval, which each has some sidings, and the
            inner oval has a yard and a reverse loop in the middle. This layout is
            only build to test out those wiring questions that might come up. I
            have posted some pictures of this layout in the Photo section of this
            group:

            Photos
            Uwe Liermann
            Layout and Switchboards

            Each oval has it's own power source and is isolated against the other
            with those plastic rail joiners. And each siding is isolated against
            the responding oval like Jeremy writes in his file. The same goes for
            the reverse loop in the middle, which is an isolated part too. Here
            you also have to watch out for the polarity of the rails. I used the
            set from Maerklin item# 8993.

            I also have installed three Maerklin uncouplers, but one is not
            working. There are a better solution to be found from a other source.
            But here Jeremy will be the better source of information too :-)

            Now I have a total of 7 track parts where I can park a train or at
            least an engine, while I can run 2 others at the same time
            individually.

            All this is fairly easy accomplished with the standard Maerklin parts.
            For a final layout I will probably not use those switch boxes from
            maerklin, but for now they are just right.
            BTW: with some switches I work two turn outs at the same time. Where
            the inner and the outer oval are connected it makes no sense to work
            those two turn outs separately, just to name one spot.

            For some small insights about the colors of the wiring of turn outs
            and the use of switch boxes and those little metal things you might
            read the thread started by Tina Fraser in July 2004: Wiring Question.
            It starts with message 24913:

            only I renamed the folder "Wirepics" to "Switchboards" since then...

            > but my first big goal is to build something in a briefcase, that I
            > can bring along.

            That's my goal at the moment too. And a hint from this side about the
            power source and the speed control of a briefcase layout: Jeremy has a
            fine speed regulator for this situation which is just great to work
            with. Only downside is, that it is some soldering work to be done to
            install the DeLuxe speed regulator.
            The layout to be seen in the photo section is momentary in use for
            running my trains, and I learned a lot about wiring (at least I know
            now what I will do different next time). Currently I try to make a
            layout in an old aluminium case I used long ago for my camera and
            flashlight. I will post pictures as soon as there is some more
            progress done.

            --
            HilZen
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 1 4:18 PM
              Solvej

              I began with my first layout with this group and they worked me
              through wiring and on to soldering. I knew little about either until
              I started Zing--so if I can learn--you can too. The guys here are
              very patient with all our questions--and answer all of them--even if
              they have been asked before.

              Good Luck
              Ellen
              Indianapolis

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2 12:39 AM
                Hej Solvej,

                > I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
                > very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

                If your time allows for it, you could join one of the two weekly chat
                sessions. One is on Wednesday for a voice chat (but I can't get it
                working on this end, so I'm not sure about times), and the other one
                is on Sunday from 19:00 Danish/German time with an open end :-)

                --
                GreetingZ
                Uwe
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 5 7:32 AM
                  -

                  > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
                  > NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for
                  dummies"
                  --
                  Same here. But I follow the instructions from Maerklin 0299
                  (Gleisanlagenbuch, clear introduction in connections etc.) and 07770

                  Arno
                • Jeremy Brandon
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 5 7:48 AM
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                    > But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                    > somewhere in the last years

                    This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                    my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                    turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                    check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                    manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                    reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                    rumour? Jeremy.
                  • Peter Ibbotson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 5 10:20 AM
                      >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                      >> But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                      >> somewhere in the last years
                      >
                      >This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                      >my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                      >turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                      >check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                      >manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                      >reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                      >rumour? Jeremy.

                      I don't know if it's been corrected BUT the "brown" controller I have is
                      back to front to the two white ones I have. They also have different output
                      wave forms when looked at on a scope. The brown version also "matches" the
                      documentation.

                      To be honest since I'm part way down the going DCC route I'm not that
                      bothered. I just need to sort out what the problem is with reading values
                      back from a CTElektronic decoder (I have a cunning plan but the room where
                      the workbench is currently occupied so I've been doing plan designs on
                      computer)

                      --
                      Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                      Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX