Ready to nail Aspen Switches to the backyard fence!

  • epressey2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
      When I was a kid and lived in the country when we shot rodents our
      tradition would be to nail the rats to the back yard fence, it was
      just tradition. I've been involved with model railroading for nearly
      35 years and actually did some Z scaling 20 years ago. About 6 months
      I slipped back into Z scale and have looked at this group as an very
      important information source. If something is happening in Z scale
      then this group was talking about it. From this group I have meant
      some great people. Thank you very much for making this forum available.

      Several weeks ago I recieved about 8 Aspen 1200 series switches.
      Items of beauty, all metal frogs, electrical wire attached to the
      frog, deep flangeways. I was really pleased. I laid one down in a
      test section, and found a slight problem, the tips of the
      switch blades would move on the throwbar. My thought pattern said if
      anyone else was using these switchs, they would have the same problem.
      Two messages to this board, no replys, my assumption was no one is
      using these switches. I attempted to contact the party who sold me
      the switches, again no responce, meaning ????, I emailed
      Aspen.....you know the rest of the story, no reply. My take on this
      product is that no one is using them, the party whos sold them to me
      doesn't want anything to do with them, and Aspen doesn't have very
      good customer service. Now I know that I will be banished from this
      forum, the previous seller will curse my family, and Aspen will have a
      three suit piece visit my place of employemnt. But a product with a
      problem is a product with a problem.

      Well Merry Christmans and Happy New Years. Did I accidently flame
      someone, I didn't mean to , just wanted someone else not to make the
      same mistake I did. Also I don't know if I can wait for Micro Trains
      planned salvation.

      Ed
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
        Ed, I can only sympathize with you regarding the "no reply"
        phenomenon. It happens in our instant messaging and rapid-fire email
        world. I have found that when the electrons don't elicite a response,
        then traditional snail mail tends to do the trick.

        I do not have any experience with Aspen switches so I can't help you
        there. I remember your post by the way. Sorry you didn't get any
        help from the forum. That does happen occasionally and the troops
        usually wake up when they get a friendly reminder. If my memory is
        correct I believe that Dominique deChampeau has taken possession of
        some Aspen switches. Maybe he can help. Look up a message from him
        on this board and click on his email ID. You can send him a personal
        email that way. Other than that, if you don't get satisfaction, I
        don't know what else to suggest to you re: the switches except to
        arrange to return them and get your money back.

        Happy New Year and all the best for 2005.

        CheerZ,
        Jeffrey

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
          In a message dated 12/31/2004 3:41:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          epressey@... writes:
          Several weeks ago I recieved about 8 Aspen 1200 series switches.
          Items of beauty, all metal frogs, electrical wire attached to the
          frog, deep flangeways. I was really pleased. I laid one down in a
          test section, and found a slight problem, the tips of the
          switch blades would move on the throwbar. My thought pattern said if
          anyone else was using these switchs, they would have the same problem.
          Two messages to this board, no replys, my assumption was no one is
          using these switches.

          Ed,
          First of all, thanks for reminding me. I have never actually used one of the
          Aspen Switches, but I knew that I had one, somewhere. I dug it out a while
          back, but with the holidays and the big push at work to get all of the year end
          stuff done, I forgot all about it.
          Anyway, after looking at it, I noticed that mine has the same problem.
          Then, I noticed why. On the throw bar, there are three pieces of "wire
          insulation" looking things that are also used as spacers, and they had worked loose. It
          looks like they would work loose through normal use, as well. I pressed the
          three pieces together so that they were as close together as possible, and put
          a drop of CA(super glue) on the outer most piece (toward the loop) to bond it
          to the throw bar. I have actuated it manually about 50 times, and it still
          seems to be holding. I don't know if this is a fix, or not, but it seems to be
          working right now. Anyway, without actually having any installed, it's about the
          only insight that I have.
          Sorry about the delayed response.
          Dan S.

        • Lajos Thek
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "epressey2002" <epressey@s...> wrote:

            > Several weeks ago I recieved about
            > 8 Aspen 1200 series switches...
            >
            > I laid one down in a test section,
            > and found a slight problem, the tips
            > of the switch blades would move on
            > the throwbar.

            If you would send one to me, I'll gladly
            find the fix to the problem. My sneaky
            reason behind this offer is to have a
            chance to compare the Aspen turnouts to
            our new (under development) NMRA turnout
            standards. Contact me off forum.

            Lajos
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
              > If my memory is
              > correct I believe that Dominique deChampeau has
              > taken possession of
              > some Aspen switches. Maybe he can help. Look up a
              > message from him
              > on this board and click on his email ID. You can
              > send him a personal
              > email that way.

              Yes, my friends, I have a bunch of them. But as I
              haven't yet laid them, I have unfortunately no
              informations about their behaviour. All I can say is
              that they look like very fine. But on the other hand,
              mine have an euro style tie spacing, and I consider
              selling them (if anybody here is interrested, please
              contact me off forum) prior to purchase samples with
              US style tie spacing. But for the time I have
              experience only with modified / "Tortoised" Marklin
              turnouts, and with Wright Nn3's.

              BeZt to all,

              Dominique