Looking for fellow Z-ers in the Long Island/NYC Metro area

  • miked_r@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2004
      I think the subject says it all. I have researched but found no clubs
      that pertain to Z in the NYC Metro or Long Island areas. I am in Great
      Neck so I am willing to travel to about anywhere within 60-90 minutes.

      Thanks and Happy New Year!

      Michael
    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2004
        I hope you have better luck than I did. Rob Kluz sent an e-mail to a
        number of subscribers in the Northern Ohio area around me -- sort of a
        caller ID Blocker as I don't know who they are. Two answered. One
        e-mailed a few times but said he really wasn't ready to build yet and
        the other contacted me but never answered my return e-mail. ...so I'm
        puttering along with someone at the other end of the country. If it
        wasn't for E-mail and the ability to post/view photos this would be a
        real introvert hobby. ....if you don't mind a 10 hour drive, one way,
        the door is open......

        Don

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
          Michael, Try Sam Berliner in Glen Head. I don't think he is on this list, but I think he is listed in ZTrack as a regional contact for that area (I don't have an issue handy so I can't check).

          His website is at the following link and there is a link for contacting him at the very bottom of the page:

          http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/mrr2.html

          There are also some Z scale folks in northern New Jersey too I think.

          Randy Smidt
          Springfield, VA

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
            Hi Michael,

            It's hard to connect with people here in the metro NYC area, everybody just seems so buzy all the time. I'm in Wilton, Connecticut, 1 hr. drive to midtown Manhatten, or 1 1/2 hr. by train via the metro-north CT line.. I'm probably about the same distance from you, maybe less.

            If it weren't for the support on this list, I don't think I'd know of anyone into Z gauge. I talk and e-mail more people on the west coast, OH, and TX, than anyone local, when it comes to Z. To date I've met only one list member in person, Cliff Travis in Hastings on the Hudson, NY. A great guy, very imformative about Z and trains in general. Other than that, I can only think of 3 others I've spoke to or exchanged e-mail with within 60-90 min. of me, one only 10-15 min from me, but have never talked to or met.

            Anyway, my door is always open for a Z guest, with advance notice, and I can always pick someone up from the train station about 1 1/2 miles from me, I hear the horns all day. Wheather you wana talk Z, discuss new ideas, questions, or check out what's on my workbenches, just give me a call or e-mail.

            Personally, I'd love to organize a local metro NYC Z group or club, but I don't think I could do it all by myself, help! I certainly would be willing to even host a club meeting once or twice a month, and even start building the Northeast Z Moduals using the Z-Bend standards (I'd have to register my trailer to transport them <smile>) . I know that a moduals project here in the N.E. would be a combination of american and european, Besides the trains themselves, the landscape & arcitecture in our part of the country if very similar.

            Feel free to contact me and anyone else into the club idea above that doesn't think Wilton, CT is in the middle of nowhere, there's no such thing to me when a train runs through town, especially with passenger service. I'll post later about my workbench pic I posted lastnight during chat, hint, choo choo terrain photo folder pic #18.

            Michael Hilliard
            P.O. Box 273
            Wilton, CT 06897
            choochooterrain@...
            Ph. 203-762-2476 til 8pm est.

          • centralparknyc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
              "Z" gauge fan here in Manhattan. and have other interests too. Let's
              chat.

              Bob

            • elliott trice
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2005
                Michael, et al:

                It's great to see that there is actually some sort of Z scale contingent in the NYC area. I'm in Astoria, and I've even been to Wilton by train for business. From my recollection, Wilton isn't in the middle of nowhere, but it is very close. That said, I'd be willing to travel there for a club meeting. I love the NYC metro Z scaler club idea, although I haven't much to contribute at this time, except possibly some help organizing it, and more questions than answers. I just purchased my first starter set a few weeks ago, and I've already received a TON of advice from this list so far. Let me know if/ when you want to start something up. Thanks.

                elliott trice

                Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...> wrote:
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2005
                  > Michael, et al:
                  >
                  > It's great to see that there is actually some sort of Z scale
                  contingent in the NYC area.

                  While I am not the best at managing an organization outside of my day
                  job, I thought this might be a beginning way to at least get us all
                  together in one place.

                  This might fall flat on its face or it may become another successful Z
                  Scale Club.

                  I will give administrative rights to anyone who would like as I do not
                  want the sole responsibility of managing this group.

                  I thank you all for your interest and feedback.

                  I do not want it to become a place for advice outside of local
                  retailer information; I'd rather people come here to find and share
                  advice.

                  in this newly formed Yahoo Group.

                  Thank you for your attention!

                  Happy New Year,

                  Michael
                • Michael Hilliard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2005
                    Hi,

                    It's sounding like the time is ripe for forming a group, some start with only 2 and grow quickly. There's a lot of good advice in the area, and plenty of questions. On a in person basis it's easier to often demonstrate how tos rather than to try to make a posting.

                    I've already many ideas floating around my head head about this, for instance a Tri State Z Bent Track group. I already recieved the subliminal message Bill (Houston, TX), isn't he ever going to get it right!! It's Z Bend Track!! The bent part was thinking about the confines of many people in the tri state area, why not use the Z bend Track stadards to build layouts but design a 2' x 2' modual system so people could make a pair of 2x2' layouts or one that connects together to form a 2x4' layout but be able to more easily transport them if using the subway, bus, or trains, which a lot of people do around here to avoid the hassles of highway traffic. Would also be a start for setting up a starter set and later add on to form a full 2x2' and 2x4' moduals. Would allow the beginner and the more advanced modeler a zmall start, but be able to expand to current Z Bend Track standards. I think it would be practical to carry one 2x2', opens to 2x4',
                    layout on a train, even easier to handle in a car.

                    Lots of good ideas and imformation can be shared and a common intrest that we can eventually share and run Z with other groups in the country and in our own nehborhood. I'll say more at a more reasonable hour, Time for bed, hope this can become real in the near future, Night,

                    Michael Hilliard
                    Wilton, CT

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Michael,

                      You might be able to go smaller than 2'x2' even. A while back someone, I can't remember who, was contemplating a "half Z-Bend Track" module of about 1'x3' or so. The two sides could be bolted together to form a 2'x3' Z-Bend Track module. I discussed this Bill K. and he thought it would be too hard to get the two sides to mate precisely enough for the two mailines to mate up at exactly 9" from the center. I personally think it could be done, but it would have to be some precise wood working, possibly above the skill level of the average z scaler and my skills personally.

                      I am also interested in trying a TTrak style module when MTL releases it's snap track later in the year. I think the N scale TTrak standard module size is about 1'x1'. The ZtrainZ standard originated by the Richmond, VA Z scale group and also used by the Mid-Atlantic Zeds ( a few hours away from you) started out as I believe 8"x32" modules. They now allow wider modules also.

                      If you all get a group together before NTS 2005 and anyone is interested in participating, be sure to let me know so I can get you on the display list (need to know by May 1st).

                      Randy Smidt

[...]

                    • jim_manley_alpha_six
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Randy, Randy, Randy,

                        I'm ashamed of you. All that hot air (OK, bitZ) I expended, and you
                        can't even remember it was me blathering on (and on, and on ... :)
                        about my miniModuleZ!

                        Briefly (yeah, I'm working on breaking a resolution to keep thingZ
                        short this year already), miniModuleZ are 12 x 20 inch sections, made
                        from 3/4 x 1/2 inch wood trim frames that are each wood-screwed at the
                        corners in a lap-joint (eaZy, fellaZ! ;) covered with a 1/4 inch pink
                        foam panel substrate layer (currently attached with eight small wood
                        screws vertically down into the frames). Eight miniModuleZ with cable
                        reinforcement, four collapsible legs, trainZ, and accessorieZ easily
                        fit into a 22-inch standard airline roll-aboard bag. Any number of
                        miniModuleZ can be connected along their edges to form larger moduleZ,
                        up to a full-size layout, using wing nuts and machine screws through
                        the sides and ends of the frames. Since the frame height is only 3/4
                        of an inch, wire rope (e.g., garage door cable) is laced through 3-1/2
                        inch high, 1/2 x 3/4 inch wide vertical stand-offs and attached via
                        closed-loop lugs to the machine screws connecting the miniModuleZ
                        together. The cables run longitudinally under the frames to provide
                        strength along the length of the layout, and can also be run laterally
                        on wider layouts.

                        The above forms the benchwork for the layout, and I typically assemble
                        the miniModuleZ two-wide, and two to four long, resulting in 24 x 40,
                        or 24 x 80 inch moduleZ that are just the right size to attach to 24
                        inch wide Z-Bend Track moduleZ. My 24 x 80 inch frame, with the cable
                        bracing, weighs well under five pounds, which meets my criteria for
                        hyper-light weight for transportation on general aviation aircraft
                        (e.g., Cessnas, Pipers, King Airs, experimentals, etc.). On top of
                        the 1/4 foam substrate panels (which are slit/drilled wherever needed
                        to route wiring), I affix track, scenery and structure subModuleZ that
                        are fabricated in 4-inch multiples (not-so-coincidentally, about 100
                        mm) in width and length on 1/4 inch, or thicker, foam panels that can
                        be carved/cut with a hot-wire cutter, knife, etc. A four-inch width
                        allows for plenty of room for double-mainline track subModuleZ (but
                        they can be any size for curves, switchyards, etc.), complete with
                        ballast, track-side ditches, vegetation, signalling, etc. The
                        four-inch multiple also makes for good-sized lots with individual
                        small buildings on them, and the larger sizes allow for city blocks,
                        industrial facilities, etc., to be built on single subModuleZ.
                        Scenery subModuleZ can contain anything from grass, to farmland, to
                        forests, to hills, to mountains. One of the primary reasons I
                        designed the subModuleZ this way was so that I could swap them out to
                        allow mixing things up (to prevent layout boredom over the long term),
                        and upgrading a layout in manageable-sized sections.

                        I've posted photos in the BAZ_Modules Photos section, and as soon as
                        I've got time, I'll copy them over to the Z_Scale_2 Photos section,
                        too, since they take up a significant amount of space. This does
                        require pretty precise carpentry work, and if anyone is interested, I
                        would be happy to provide cut and drilled components, as well as
                        assembled miniModuleZ (and perhaps subModuleZ), as I have built
                        tooling to crank scores of miniModuleZ out for my own layoutZ and
                        moduleZ for the Bay Area Z Scale Modules group.

                        OK, so I tried to keep this down to a dull moan. In the immortal
                        words of former NYC Mayor Ed Koch, "How'm I doin'?"

                        All Z BeZt,
                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                          Jim, Jim, Jim,

                          How could you think I would forget your miniModuleZ? I was just waiting for you to chime in and explain them yourself, you do a much better job at it than I could. ;-) I was actually thinking of another discussion with someone from a different group where we talked about a module with "standard" 1"x4" construction than simply split the sections with each mainline apart. This discussion may have been on the Z-Bend_Track list or perhaps on one of the chats earlier last year. I thought it was an idea worth looking at.

                          Take Care,
                          Randy Smidt
                          Springfield, VA