New for Christmas

  • Robert Swarts
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
      Hello Group!

      Finally, after asking for a model train set for about 30 years, I got
      a Marklin mini-club kit for Christmas (beats the heck out of the
      usual shirts & sweaters)! I love the small size as space is a
      constraint for me, and I enjoy doing detail work. I set the kit up on
      my dining room table and now I'd like to get some more track and
      start a permanent layout.

      I'm new to the hobby, so I'm looking for information on accessories
      and compatibility. My understanding is that the scales are fairly
      standardized, so if you buy a kit from one manufacturer and say a
      locomotive from another, the new engine should work on the original
      track. Is that right?

      I'm in the SF Bay Area and so far I've only found one shop that
      carries Z-scale accessories, and they're pretty pricey. Most
      apparently only carry the Marklin starter kits like I have and a few
      seperate cars and engines. Where would be a good place to get a book
      of layouts, some scenery and buildings, roadbed (I'm not sure what
      this is or why I need it exactly, but a friend assures me that I
      do :D) and generally stuff to make my basic set a little bigger.
      Also, can anyone recommend a good, authoritative book on Z-scale?

      Any advice, suggestions or hints are welcome, and feel free to
      contact me via e-mail or Yahoo Messenger (I'm inetmonkey).

      And now, back to my train! Wheee!

      Robert
    • Dennis Skea
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
        Robert,
        First, welcome to "Z" hobby. Second, I would suggest a subscription to "Z-Track Magazine"
        http://www.ztrack.com/,
        Third, If there is a club in your area, join. Fourth, ask EVERYTHING on this list. No stupid questions, plenty of great(and varied and different) answers, so pick the answer you like. The old take what you want ans leave the rest approach.
        Fifth, start a layout, get some more track, and don't worry about scenicking it right away. PLAY WITH YOUR TRAINS!!!! I use 1" and 2" thick insulating styrofoam from home depot. comes in 2' x 8' wsections, and I use a 2x4 layout base.
        Sixth, HAVE FUN!!!!
        dennis Skea

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Flayrah
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
          I'll add my "Hello" and welcome to the group! I'm fairly new at Z
          also, so I don't have much to add, but as the previous post stated I
          encourage you to start on a layout board. Z easily picks up dust
          and dirt; carpet fibers and hair can cause much frustration and un-
          necessary down time. While a layout won't prevent every spot of
          dirt from clogging your loco, it will help your train run more
          smoothly. And have fun!!
        • Robert Swarts
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
            Dennis,
            Sounds like good advice to me; playing with the trains is what
            it's all about, right?

            What's the styrofoam for? I've seen a lot of it used in the
            pictures of layouts that are in progress. Is it just the
            standard "building material" that everyone uses because it's cheap
            and easy to work? I guess it's not like you need to use 3/4" plywood
            and 4x6s to frame up a workplace...

            Robert

          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
              >I'm in the SF Bay Area and so far I've only found one shop that
              >carries Z-scale accessories, and they're pretty pricey. Most
              >apparently only carry the Marklin starter kits like I have and a few
              >seperate cars and engines. Where would be a good place to get a book
              >of layouts, some scenery and buildings, roadbed (I'm not sure what
              >this is or why I need it exactly, but a friend assures me that I
              >do :D) and generally stuff to make my basic set a little bigger.
              >Also, can anyone recommend a good, authoritative book on Z-scale?

              Robert -
              The only problem I see is that we already have a guy named Robert in our
              group ;)

              We have a Cooperative in the Bay Area that meets regularly and is building
              modules for eventual display at local [and maybe not so local] venues.

              Please visit our group called BAZ_Modules@yahoogroups.com - Stands for
              Bay Area Z Modules.

              We started with four guys, and we are up to about 16 now; several that meet
              regularly.

              In the greater Bay Area there are numerous good Z dealers - but I'm not
              sure where you are...Here is a list from most recommended to least
              recommended:

              Loco-Boose on main street in Redwood City. [Closed Monday, Tuesday and
              Wednesday unless Holiday season]
              Great selection of MicroTrains and good selection of Maerklin.
              Prices are average.

              San Antonio Hobby Shop in Mountain View. [Closed Sundays]
              Great selection of Maerklin and small selection of MT. Other
              manufacturers occasionally too. Prices are the best in the BA. Counter
              help here, however, isn't too good.

              Talbots Hobby Shop in San Mateo.
              Small selection of Maerklin with OK prices similar to Loco Booses'.

              Trackside Trains in Burlingame.
              Generally an N scale store. Nn3 guys go there. Good source of Peco
              track. Store just turned over to a guy that I think is a Z-Scaler.
              Might be a great thing. I have not been there since the change in
              management.

              HobbyTown in San Carlos.
              Small selection of MicroTrains and Maerklin. Average prices. Guy
              who runs it is open to just about anything so a good opportunity to
              wholsale your wares.

              I'd be interested in which stor you had experience with.

              We are all available for assistance with varying degrees of availablility.

              Hope to see you sign up for the Bay Area group soon!!

              As far as books are concerned - Get a good book for another scale, like
              Kalmbachs Model Railroader Scenery, Tips and techniques.
              http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/kal/kal12243.htm

              This book is not specifically for Z, but the concepts are exactly the same
              for any scale.

              Roadbed: The surface upon which you build your rail line. There are many
              different approaches, none being that much better than the next - just
              depends what you want to do. Lightweight, Industrial Strength etc...

              My personal preference is Homasote over wood, then cork on that.

              Thanks, and welcome.

              Ted LaMar
              QAE-EPM-Portal
              925-694-5839

              "Let us not grow tired of doing good, for in due time we shall reap the
              harvest, if we do not give up."
            • Dennis Skea
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                Robert,
                re: Styrofoam- I use it for light weight as a base platform. I break all the rules since I don't use "roadbed" ( cork or other) but attach track directly to the foam. You can make it super sturdy by cutting lengths of foamboard to simulate 1x4 wood, and build your frame with glue, and not nails. I use Duct Tape around the edges. FYI- I use file cards folded in half, write a "location" and viola- instant scenicking (or at least a place to pick up and drop cars). fun to build, easy to store, quick to set up and play with.
                Dennis
                Sounds like good advice to me; playing with the trains is what
                it's all about, right?

                What's the styrofoam for? I've seen a lot of it used in the
                pictures of layouts that are in progress. Is it just the
                standard "building material" that everyone uses because it's cheap
                and easy to work? I guess it's not like you need to use 3/4" plywood
                and 4x6s to frame up a workplace...

                Robert

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Skea <kc2ccz@o...> wrote:
                > Robert,
                > First, welcome to "Z" hobby. Second, I would suggest a
                subscription to "Z-Track Magazine"
                > http://www.ztrack.com/,
                > Third, If there is a club in your area, join. Fourth, ask
                EVERYTHING on this list. No stupid questions, plenty of great(and
                varied and different) answers, so pick the answer you like. The old
                take what you want ans leave the rest approach.
                > Fifth, start a layout, get some more track, and don't worry
                about scenicking it right away. PLAY WITH YOUR TRAINS!!!! I use 1"
                and 2" thick insulating styrofoam from home depot. comes in 2' x 8'
                wsections, and I use a 2x4 layout base.
                > Sixth, HAVE FUN!!!!
                > dennis Skea

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                  In addition to those that Ted gave, I had good luck with Micro trains
                  Z at Chans on 101 just south of the Golden Gate Bridge. An old style
                  train store, dark and crowded, but they have some of almost every
                  thing.
                  Ed Scullin

                  --- ted_lamar@... wrote:

> [...]
                  > like
                  > Kalmbachs Model Railroader Scenery, Tips and techniques.
                  > http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/kal/kal12243.htm
                  >
                  > This book is not specifically for Z, but the concepts are exactly
                  > the same
                  > for any scale.
                  >
                  > Roadbed: The surface upon which you build your rail line. There
                  > are many
                  > different approaches, none being that much better than the next -
                  > just
                  > depends what you want to do. Lightweight, Industrial Strength
                  > etc...
                  >
                  > My personal preference is Homasote over wood, then cork on that.
                  >

                  > Thanks, and welcome.
                  >

                  > Ted LaMar
                  > QAE-EPM-Portal
                  > 925-694-5839
                  >
                  > "Let us not grow tired of doing good, for in due time we shall reap

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Jeffrey MacHan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                    Welcome to Z, Robert.

                    For an in-depth, step-by-step description of building a layout section
                    using styrofoam and acrylics, you are welcome to join the "Val Ease
                    County Library" and read Howard Kannitbee's "Val Ease Summit"
                    Construction Diaries. Seven chapters are on-line now and the final
                    detailing chapters will be "restored" shortly.

                    You must join the VECRR yahoogroup to get your "library card". Of
                    course this invitation is offered to all Z-scalers or anyone
                    interested in the VECRR adventureZ.

                    CheerZ,
                    Jeffrey MacHan
                    Chief Imagineer - Val Ease Central RR
                    http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
                  • Robert Ray
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                      Hi Robert, Welcome to Z! I live in Fremont, and am the other Robert
                      that Ted is talking about. I'm building a couple modules to connect
                      with other guys modules so we can all get together and run some trains.

                      Space is a problem for me too, however Z Scale is the answer. I
                      started modeling in Z less than 2 years ago, but have made lots of Z
                      friends already.

                      You will find Z Scale is quite addictive, and before long you will
                      have lots of Z Scale stuff. I already have 3 boxes of stuff now. What
                      I need to do is finish laying track so I can run trains on my modules
                      instead of a test loop on a board.

                      Do join the BAZ_modules list to keep up on what is happening in the
                      Bay Area. Several of us have been getting together and working on our
                      trains and DCC, and we have gone to the GATS shows to get ideas and
                      talk trains. I hope to see you on the list..

                      -Robert
                    • michael
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                        Hello Robert,

                        I will second Ed's advice on Chan's Trains. I live in Campbell (near
                        San Jose) and have gotten some of my best *local* Z-deals there -
                        they sell new and used Z stuff. It's in SF on Van Ness Ave (at
                        Union). For customer friendliness (this is very important to me),
                        I'd put in a personal vote for Chan's and Talbot's, though I've found
                        DandJ and San Antonio to have the best "nearby" over-the-counter
                        stuff.

                        Have LOTS of fun, as that's what it's all about. Z scale is a
                        beautiful thing. What attracted me to Z is the conveniently small
                        size and the challenge of stuffing yet more electronics into them DCC!

                        -michael tuason

                      • Arie Knoops
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                          Hi
                          The guys at Tin Plate Junction over in Oakland are super nice. I'm new to
                          all this and they took the time in the busy holliday season just to talk to
                          me. This is something I've never experienced whenever I've walked into
                          Chans on Van Ness.
                          Arie
                        • Robert Ray
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 28, 2004
                            Hey Michael, It seems there are quite a few Z Scalers in the San Jose
                            area that are into DCC. Just today Kim Vellore and I were testing some
                            Z locomotives that we packed with DCC and lights. Kim even has a DCC
                            sound car, and a custom track cleaning car. We were testing the
                            performance enhancements of using banks of caps to overcome dirty
                            track and running over tissue paper, as a limbo down to see how slow
                            we can go before the loco stalls on the tissue. There is another guy,
                            Jeff Merril of San Jose who is coming over this weekend to explore the
                            virtues of DCC.

                            You are welcome too.

                            Make sure you sign up with BAZ_modules, the San Francisco Bay Area Z
                            Scale Module Yahoo Group, and keep up to date with what kind of neat
                            DCC and Modular stuff we are up to.

                            -Robert Ray, the othr Robert

                            "michael" <mptuason@y...> wrote:

                            What attracted me to Z is the conveniently small
                            > size and the challenge of stuffing yet more electronics into them DCC!
                            >

                            > -michael tuason

                          • jim_manley_alpha_six
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                              Hi Robert (no, not you, Old Robert, the New and Improved Robert! :)

                              GreetingZ and welcome to the wonderful world of Z, Spicy Bay Area
                              Flavor, in addition to the Regular Flavor North American (gotta
                              remember our compatriots in Canadia and Meheeco! ;) Style, Asian
                              CuiZineZ, European Culinary DelightZ, and even African AromaZ, all
                              repreZented by the many memberZ of this esteemed group.

                              I'm the member of the BAZ_ModuleZ group that they keep hidden away in
                              a cloZet that has been nail-gunned shut many timeZ, but around this
                              wee hour of the morning (4:30 AM, as I write this, being serenaded by
                              the forlorn horn on a UP loco heading up a four-loco consist and a
                              100+ car train, working its way South to LA-LA-Land, no doubt to
                              deliver, to our good friendZ Bill Hoshiko, John Duino, et al, in the
                              Other California, some fine Northern California productZ from uZ here
                              around The Bay, and Pacific Northwest productZ from the vicinity of
                              Loren Snyder, Terry and Helen Sutfin, Jim Glass, Andy Hunting, Tom
                              Gilchrist, Dr. John Lundy, and otherZ too numerous to recall at this
                              ungodly hour :) I occasionally manage to escape through a tunnel that
                              the otherZ don't know about - and if they do find it, I'll just dig
                              another one ("Run, Rabbit, run ... Don't slow down, it's time to dig
                              another one ... " ;)

                              If you, or any of the IM Force are caught or killed, The Secretary
                              will disavow any knowledge of your actionZ. Oh, wait, sorry, wrong
                              tape. If you, or any of the other recently-discovered SF Bay Area
                              ZeesterZ are interested, we will be showing our moduleZ at the Great
                              American Train Show in Sacramento on January 8th and 9th (the train
                              can be an enjoyable way to get there, especially given the very ugly
                              turn in the weather here this week - snow in Houston, tsunamis in the
                              Indian Ocean, and no sun in California - weren't these some signs of
                              the approach of The Apocalypse? ): If we're all still alive, we'll
                              also be exhibiting at the Kow Kastle (aka PalaZio De Los HeferZ, or
                              the Cow Palace) on February 13th - 14th, and Modesto, Bakersfield,
                              Reno, Pleasanton, and San Jose, through the Spring and Fall. Some of
                              uZ will even be trekking to Cincinnati (yeah, the one in Ohio) in July
                              to attend the NMRA National Train Show and the preceding First-ever Z
                              Scale Summit, Conference, Meal Deal, and Pie Eating/Throwing Contest
                              (I may not be recalling all of the detailZ correctly from the brochure
                              on that last group of eventZ! :) We plan to bring some of our moduleZ
                              to participate in the Giant Z Scale Layout to be assembled at NTS
                              2005. As you will no doubt hear from someone (OK, probably me), I'm
                              an FAA-certified (or is that certifiable?) private pilot, currently
                              working on my instrument and commercial ratings, and may be able to
                              fly a contingent of BAZtahdZ to future NTSs, if not this year'Z.

                              Ted, Old Robert, Michael and Dennis (hey, where you been hidin'? Did
                              they lock you in a cloZet, too? :) gave you the low-down on Bay-area
                              train shopZ, but if you're at a local GATS, or up in the San Rafael
                              area, make sure to stop by and see Chuck Ciaccio at Feather River
                              Trains (he sells Old Robert's kitZ there, and has lots of other nice
                              stuff in N that we are wishing into existence for Z :) Tom van Horn
                              recently bought Trackside Trains in Burlingame, and although he
                              doesn't carry Z at the moment, he can order anything you might need at
                              a good price, and is probably the most savvy of all of the train shop
                              owners in the Bay area, as he is a long-time member of the Pacific
                              Coast Region (PCR) of the National Model Railway Association (NMRA),
                              and runs the Time-Saver contest at local meetings (Old Robert and I
                              know him well, and he is a model railroader's model railroader - he
                              can tell you details about prototypes that even the professional
                              railroaders don't know). I know Hal & Rhonda Dodd at Loco-Boose in
                              Redwood City fairly well, and if you tell them we sent you, and we
                              said they should give you a discount off their already reasonable
                              prices on Märklin and Micro Trains locos, rolling stock, track, and
                              accessories, they will very likely do so (the more you buy, the better
                              the discount, so save up your pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters ...
                              well, a few Ben Franklins would help a lot, too!). Rhonda is a fellow
                              Navy retiree and electronics technician, and does a great job
                              repairing and refurbishing Z scale itemZ - she always seems to have
                              her jeweler's loupes hanging off her glasses whenever I visit. I have
                              to agree that San Antonio Hobbies' people are not interested in Z at
                              all, and their prices seem to match their attitude - just follow their
                              noses into the stratosphere - plus, I hate that they're only open
                              until 6 PM, and not at all on Sundays. D & J Hobbies in Campbell
                              carries most of Märklin's Z itemZ, but no MTL, if I recall, although
                              they do have pretty much everything else needed for doing scenery,
                              scratch-building, etc., since they're a fairly good-sized hobby shop,
                              in addition to being a decent-sized model railroading place. The
                              Train Shop in Santa Clara is a favorite haunt for South Bay model
                              railroaders of all scales, even though they don't carry anything in Z,
                              but again, they have all the tools of the trade, books, magazines, and
                              materials needed for modeling, the larger-scale items are good for
                              inspiration, and they know what they're talking about prototype-wise,
                              along with modeling advice.

                              We certainly hope to see you soon at one of our almost-weekly, now,
                              get-togetherZ ("meetingZ" would be far too formal a term for the
                              shenaniganZ we engage in - that's what the NMRA is for - all that
                              organization, dues, hierarchy, dues, elections, dues, rules, dues,
                              etc.! Did I mention dues? :) Old Robert's is where we most often
                              congregate, mostly because he has a garage dedicated to model
                              railroading and places to eat within walking distance, not to mention
                              his fantastic laZer cutter (he doeZ freebieZ for us localZ - and will
                              gladly cut anything new from model airplane plywood, basswood, etc.,
                              that you send/bring in the form of a CorelDraw computer file). Ted
                              has hosted a few gatheringZ, and I even managed to squeeZe half a
                              doZen of uZ in my open storage excuse for a garage once. None of us
                              biteZ, but, it should be obviouZ by now, that we've all been bitten by
                              various real and imagined vagarieZ (mostly just that pesky Z bug)!

                              Between all of uZ, we can certainly come up with doZenZ of wayZ to do
                              thingZ wrong, and occasionally we may accidently provide advice on how
                              to do thingZ right, but we see the journey aZ the reward (sort of a
                              Steve JobZ Reality Distortion Field, focused down into miniature form!
                              :) Between uZ all, we probably own at least one of everything, so we
                              can probably show you almost anything you want to know about, and will
                              be more than happy to demonstrate our respective skillZ for your
                              entertainment, if not edification.

                              Anywaaaaay, I digress, aZ alwayZ, but we're really looking forward to
                              having another victim, I mean, venturer, join our clan of craZieZ in
                              our never-ending pursuit of fun and frivolity. The Sun, I mean, the
                              rain, will be coming up soon, so I'd better head back in the direction
                              of my lair before They discover I've escaped again.

                              We now return you to your trainZ, already in progreZZ!

                              Take care, and All Z BeZt,
                              Jim and the rest of the BAZtahdZ
                            • michael
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                                Hello Robert Ray (and hello everyone else, too!),

                                Thank you - I did sign up with BAZ_modules (have been quite the
                                silent member :). I was excited to find that there was a locally
                                organized group doing Z, and made a special attempt to go to this
                                past GATS show in Pleasanton. Needless to say, I was bummed to find
                                out that the group didn't make it there. Additionally, more bummed
                                to find out that there was no Z at all running there (Nn3 yes,
                                though).

                                Thank you for the invite to the local meeting - where do I find the
                                detailed where-and-when info for the meetings? I am very interested
                                in Z and would like to connect with local folks on the common
                                passion, but I don't think that I'm anywhere near ready to commit to
                                building modules (a "BAZ" instead of "BAZ_Modules" would be more to
                                my tune). I'd still like to go check out the meetings, though, if
                                that's still OK.

                                Yes - I am very much aware of Kim's work, the awareness of which was
                                one of my main motivations for deciding to go forward with DCCZ.
                                (THANK YOU KIM, for sharing your information if you're reading
                                this.) At the time, I did not know that Kim was local - funny how
                                the web is - you're looking at something posted only seconds before,
                                and it could be from Timbuktu or across the table (Columbus was
                                wrong, the world IS flat!)

                                Cheers,

                                Michael (Tuason)

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:

                                > Hey Michael, It seems there are quite a few Z Scalers in the San
                                Jose
                                > area that are into DCC. Just today Kim Vellore and I were testing
                                some
                                > Z locomotives that we packed with DCC and lights. Kim even has a
                                DCC
                                > sound car, and a custom track cleaning car. We were testing the
                                > performance enhancements of using banks of caps to overcome dirty
                                > track and running over tissue paper, as a limbo down to see how
                                slow
                                > we can go before the loco stalls on the tissue. There is another
                                guy,
                                > Jeff Merril of San Jose who is coming over this weekend to explore
                                the
                                > virtues of DCC.
                                >
                                > You are welcome too.
                                >
                                > Make sure you sign up with BAZ_modules, the San Francisco Bay
                                Area Z
                                > Scale Module Yahoo Group, and keep up to date with what kind of
                                neat
                                > DCC and Modular stuff we are up to.

                                > -Robert Ray, the othr Robert
                                >

                                > "michael" <mptuason@y...> wrote:
                                >
                                > What attracted me to Z is the conveniently small
                                > > size and the challenge of stuffing yet more electronics into
                                them DCC!

                                > > -michael tuason

                              • Solvej Rolin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                                  Hi

                                  My name is Solvej Rolin, and I also got Miniclub for Christmas from my
                                  husband, and I can't wait to get started. I don't have very much (yet!!!),
                                  and only want to build a small track (wrong word??), and preferably one that
                                  I can transport, like in a briefcase or something similar. I have no
                                  previous experience with model train and hope to learn allot from this list.

                                  Many greetings from Denmark.
                                  Solvej Rolin

                                • Loren Snyder
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                                    Greetings Solvej !! Welcome to the wonderful world of Z scale. I won't
                                    elaborate much here as there are many, many, much smarter guys and gals in Z
                                    than I am, but I wanted to welcome you and say that you have done a wise
                                    thing by contacting the group. There is a world of useful information at
                                    your finger tips and folks will be more than happy to share information and
                                    helpful building tips with you. You are in for the ride of your life!!!
                                    Happy Zeeing !!! Loren
                                    -----
                                    Subject: [Z_Scale] Also new for Christmas

                                    > Hi
                                    >
                                    > My name is Solvej Rolin, and I also got Miniclub for Christmas from my
                                    > husband, and I can't wait to get started. I don't have very much (yet!!!),
                                    > and only want to build a small track (wrong word??), and preferably one
                                    > that
                                    > I can transport, like in a briefcase or something similar. I have no
                                    > previous experience with model train and hope to learn allot from this
                                    > list.
                                    >
                                    > Many greetings from Denmark.
                                    > Solvej Rolin
                                  • Uwe Liermann
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                                      Hej Solvej,

                                      mit navn er Uwe, og jeg er fra tyskland...

                                      velkommen her blandt de Zkøre model bane venner. Medlemmer af listen
                                      kommer fra hele verden rundt, og hjælper meget gerne med alle
                                      spørgZmåler...

                                      men jeg skal heller fortsætte med engelsk, eller nogle få kan ikke
                                      læse hvad vi skriver om...

                                      For your questions I recommend to have a look in the files, links and
                                      photo section (as soon as this section is online again). The briefcase
                                      theme is very popular in different sizes. You can find the SKA I - III
                                      (a very small layout http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html), or some
                                      beautiful wooden crates converted to a layout case.

                                      As I said above, just don't hesitate to ask your questions, either on
                                      list, but also as a PM. There will always be someone with a helpful
                                      answer... most of the time you will get a wee bit more than just one
                                      answer :-)

                                      --
                                      GreetingZ
                                      Uwe
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 29, 2004
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 30, 2004
                                          Hei Solveig.

                                          En hilsen fra Norge, men la meg fortsette på engelsk......

                                          If you want to get info about a small layout, Heine Pedersen have
                                          some good information on the net, a coffee-table and some other
                                          small layouts on his homepage.

                                          Look at the link: http://www.heinepedersen.com

                                          regards,
                                          Svein-Martin Holt
                                          Norway
                                          http://www.platelayer.com

                                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                                          > Hej Solvej,
                                          >
                                          > mit navn er Uwe, og jeg er fra tyskland...
                                          >
                                          > velkommen her blandt de Zkøre model bane venner. Medlemmer af
                                          listen
                                          > kommer fra hele verden rundt, og hjælper meget gerne med alle
                                          > spørgZmåler...
                                          >
                                          > men jeg skal heller fortsætte med engelsk, eller nogle få kan ikke
                                          > læse hvad vi skriver om...
                                          >
                                          > For your questions I recommend to have a look in the files, links
                                          and
                                          > photo section (as soon as this section is online again). The
                                          briefcase
                                          > theme is very popular in different sizes. You can find the SKA I -
                                          III
                                          > (a very small layout http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html), or some
                                          > beautiful wooden crates converted to a layout case.
                                          >
                                          > As I said above, just don't hesitate to ask your questions, either
                                          on
                                          > list, but also as a PM. There will always be someone with a helpful
                                          > answer... most of the time you will get a wee bit more than just
                                          one
                                          > answer :-)
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > GreetingZ
                                          > Uwe
                                        • Solvej Rolin
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 30, 2004
                                            Hi

                                            Thanks a lot for the warm welcome IN DANISH, very niZe and unexpected :o)

                                            I know Heine Pedersen's page, it is AWESOME, I would love to have a coffey
                                            table like that one day!

                                            The pages with the briefcases was great too, THANKS!

                                            Solvej

                                            En hilsen fra Norge, men la meg fortsette på engelsk......

                                            If you want to get info about a small layout, Heine Pedersen have
                                            some good information on the net, a coffee-table and some other
                                            small layouts on his homepage.

                                            Look at the link: http://www.heinepedersen.com

                                            regards,
                                            Svein-Martin Holt
                                            Norway
                                            http://www.platelayer.com

                                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                                            > Hej Solvej,
                                            >
                                            > mit navn er Uwe, og jeg er fra tyskland...
                                            >
                                            > velkommen her blandt de Zkøre model bane venner. Medlemmer af
                                            listen
                                            > kommer fra hele verden rundt, og hjælper meget gerne med alle
                                            > spørgZmåler...
                                            >
                                            > men jeg skal heller fortsætte med engelsk, eller nogle få kan ikke
                                            > læse hvad vi skriver om...
                                            >
                                            > For your questions I recommend to have a look in the files, links
                                            and
                                            > photo section (as soon as this section is online again). The
                                            briefcase
                                            > theme is very popular in different sizes. You can find the SKA I -
                                            III
                                            > (a very small layout http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html), or some
                                            > beautiful wooden crates converted to a layout case.
                                            >
                                            > As I said above, just don't hesitate to ask your questions, either
                                            on
                                            > list, but also as a PM. There will always be someone with a helpful
                                            > answer... most of the time you will get a wee bit more than just
                                            one
                                            > answer :-)
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > GreetingZ
                                            > Uwe

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          • Uwe Liermann
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 30, 2004
                                              Hej Solvej,

                                              > Thanks a lot for the warm welcome IN DANISH, very niZe and unexpected :o)

                                              that's what I like about this group too:

                                              You never know what will be the next surprise around the corner...
                                              :-)

                                              BTW: if I may ask, where's your location in Denmark? And how is your
                                              situation with Z-scale dealers in your area? Last summer I tried to
                                              find a model rail road dealer on Fyn (I did pack an empty turnout box
                                              in my vacation package... :-( ). I found only one dealer in Odense.

                                              --
                                              HilZen
                                              Uwe
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                Hi
                                                I live close to Helsingor, (Elsinore) in the Northeastern part of Denmark.
                                                We have several dealers here who has Z but most of them only have a very
                                                tiny selection, but Josti (www.josti.dk) has a lot of mini-club.
                                                www.togcenter.dk er very nice people and they also have some used Z items,
                                                most of what i got for Christmas was used but in great condition and runs
                                                smoothly.

                                                The biggest problem is that most of them are hobby dealers and have very
                                                limited opening hour, and that makes it hard to go visit and see what they
                                                have. I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
                                                very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

                                                My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
                                                NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for dummies"
                                                to get started, I can manage to but the vires in the little track and
                                                connect it to the power-gizmo (I have no idea what it's called in
                                                English????) in Danish it is "stromforsyning"

                                                Happy new year to everyone!

                                                Solvej Rolin
                                                Answer too:
                                                " BTW: if I may ask, where's your location in Denmark? And how is your
                                                situation with Z-scale dealers in your area? Last summer I tried to
                                                find a model rail road dealer on Fyn (I did pack an empty turnout box
                                                in my vacation package... :-( ). I found only one dealer in Odense."

                                              • Jeremy Brandon
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Solvej Rolin" <rolin@a...> wrote:
                                                  > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecile
                                                  > and know NOTHING about these things, I could really use an
                                                  > "electronics for dummies" to get started.

                                                  I posted something a while back that you could try, although it may
                                                  not start at the right place for you:

                                                  You are welcome to email me if you have any questions. Jeremy.
                                                • Solvej Rolin
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                    Hi Jeremy

                                                    Thanks for the link!

                                                    I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
                                                    words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
                                                    is in English, but I WILL learn :o) It will hopefully be easier when I start
                                                    the acutall building. I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board
                                                    to begin with, to get some experience, but my first big goal is to build
                                                    something in a briefcase, that I can bring along.

                                                    Solvej

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                      Hej Solvej,

                                                      jeg håber du er kommet godt i det nye år :-)

                                                      > I have printet it out, and will see if I can figure it out, I don't know the
                                                      > words in Danish, so it will probably be a little hard to figure out what it
                                                      > is in English,

                                                      it shouldn't be to difficult, but if you are more comfortable with
                                                      German, then Jeremy understands that as well I believe :-)

                                                      And you can mail me in Danish too. We will work out any problem in one
                                                      of these ways.

                                                      But anyway, since you wrote you had connected the track with the
                                                      transformer (is this the right English word? In German it's a
                                                      Transformator, maybe just name it power source, that's also closer to
                                                      "strømforsyning"), and your trains are running, then this hurdle is
                                                      mastered. About which color goes to which side of the track, Jeremys
                                                      file is a perfect source.

                                                      I just would add that for the installation of more than one power
                                                      source you can isolate the track sections with the isolating rail
                                                      joiners (Maerklin item 8954. To look those numbers up go to
                                                      www.maerklin.de there to "Produkte" and "Produkt Datenbank" there you
                                                      can search for the item#). Those are plastic rail joiners, that are
                                                      used instead of the original ones. They might be not the perfect
                                                      choice for the final layout, but I'm not sure about which way to use
                                                      then too. For a temporary layout to learn about all those things they
                                                      are just fine.

                                                      > It will hopefully be easier when I start the acutall building.

                                                      as you will see, it's not as complicated as it might look right now.

                                                      > I will try and build a simple track on a wooden board to begin with,
                                                      > to get some experience,

                                                      this is exactly what I did. First I laid out the track, like shown on
                                                      my start set. I got one with one oval, a siding and the yard in the
                                                      middle...
                                                      ...and that's where the turn outs came into the picture.

                                                      Then I got more tracks and turn outs, and laid out a first own layout
                                                      with a outer and an inner oval, which each has some sidings, and the
                                                      inner oval has a yard and a reverse loop in the middle. This layout is
                                                      only build to test out those wiring questions that might come up. I
                                                      have posted some pictures of this layout in the Photo section of this
                                                      group:

                                                      Photos
                                                      Uwe Liermann
                                                      Layout and Switchboards

                                                      Each oval has it's own power source and is isolated against the other
                                                      with those plastic rail joiners. And each siding is isolated against
                                                      the responding oval like Jeremy writes in his file. The same goes for
                                                      the reverse loop in the middle, which is an isolated part too. Here
                                                      you also have to watch out for the polarity of the rails. I used the
                                                      set from Maerklin item# 8993.

                                                      I also have installed three Maerklin uncouplers, but one is not
                                                      working. There are a better solution to be found from a other source.
                                                      But here Jeremy will be the better source of information too :-)

                                                      Now I have a total of 7 track parts where I can park a train or at
                                                      least an engine, while I can run 2 others at the same time
                                                      individually.

                                                      All this is fairly easy accomplished with the standard Maerklin parts.
                                                      For a final layout I will probably not use those switch boxes from
                                                      maerklin, but for now they are just right.
                                                      BTW: with some switches I work two turn outs at the same time. Where
                                                      the inner and the outer oval are connected it makes no sense to work
                                                      those two turn outs separately, just to name one spot.

                                                      For some small insights about the colors of the wiring of turn outs
                                                      and the use of switch boxes and those little metal things you might
                                                      read the thread started by Tina Fraser in July 2004: Wiring Question.
                                                      It starts with message 24913:

                                                      only I renamed the folder "Wirepics" to "Switchboards" since then...

                                                      > but my first big goal is to build something in a briefcase, that I
                                                      > can bring along.

                                                      That's my goal at the moment too. And a hint from this side about the
                                                      power source and the speed control of a briefcase layout: Jeremy has a
                                                      fine speed regulator for this situation which is just great to work
                                                      with. Only downside is, that it is some soldering work to be done to
                                                      install the DeLuxe speed regulator.
                                                      The layout to be seen in the photo section is momentary in use for
                                                      running my trains, and I learned a lot about wiring (at least I know
                                                      now what I will do different next time). Currently I try to make a
                                                      layout in an old aluminium case I used long ago for my camera and
                                                      flashlight. I will post pictures as soon as there is some more
                                                      progress done.

                                                      --
                                                      HilZen
                                                      Uwe
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                        Solvej

                                                        I began with my first layout with this group and they worked me
                                                        through wiring and on to soldering. I knew little about either until
                                                        I started Zing--so if I can learn--you can too. The guys here are
                                                        very patient with all our questions--and answer all of them--even if
                                                        they have been asked before.

                                                        Good Luck
                                                        Ellen
                                                        Indianapolis

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 2, 2005
                                                          Hej Solvej,

                                                          > I am a nurse and often work weekends, afternoons etc, and it can be
                                                          > very difficult to find time to go to the shops when they are open.

                                                          If your time allows for it, you could join one of the two weekly chat
                                                          sessions. One is on Wednesday for a voice chat (but I can't get it
                                                          working on this end, so I'm not sure about times), and the other one
                                                          is on Sunday from 19:00 Danish/German time with an open end :-)

                                                          --
                                                          GreetingZ
                                                          Uwe
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                            -

                                                            > My biggest problem right now is that I am a electronic-imbecil and not
                                                            > NOTHING about these things, I could really use an "electronics for
                                                            dummies"
                                                            --
                                                            Same here. But I follow the instructions from Maerklin 0299
                                                            (Gleisanlagenbuch, clear introduction in connections etc.) and 07770

                                                            Arno
                                                          • Jeremy Brandon
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                                                              > But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                                                              > somewhere in the last years

                                                              This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                                                              my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                                                              turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                                                              check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                                                              manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                                                              reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                                                              rumour? Jeremy.
                                                            • Peter Ibbotson
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                                >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arno Bekers" <abekers@y...> wrote:
                                                                >> But it is a pity Marklin changed brown and red wires
                                                                >> somewhere in the last years
                                                                >
                                                                >This seems to be one of the great mysteries of miniClub! When I wrote
                                                                >my Wiring document I was as surprised as anyone that the red wire
                                                                >turned out to be negative. I was using my white Märklin controller to
                                                                >check what I wrote. Since then I have heard that there was a
                                                                >manufacturing glitch which caused the red and brown terminals to be
                                                                >reversed - and that it has now been corrected. Can anyone confirm this
                                                                >rumour? Jeremy.

                                                                I don't know if it's been corrected BUT the "brown" controller I have is
                                                                back to front to the two white ones I have. They also have different output
                                                                wave forms when looked at on a scope. The brown version also "matches" the
                                                                documentation.

                                                                To be honest since I'm part way down the going DCC route I'm not that
                                                                bothered. I just need to sort out what the problem is with reading values
                                                                back from a CTElektronic decoder (I have a cunning plan but the room where
                                                                the workbench is currently occupied so I've been doing plan designs on
                                                                computer)

                                                                --
                                                                Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                                                                Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX