The Scheinenzeppelin

  • Jacob Munkhammar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 1999
      I'm considering buying a Rail Zeppelin (#8876, one of my little loves), but
      have never seen or run any, so I have two questions.

      1) Someone told me the detailing isn't impressive. I only want it if it
      looks good; does it?

      2) It has only two, fixed axles and a *very* long distance between the
      axles; how sharp turns can it navigate? (Regardless of what may look silly
      - there are tunnels ;-) (M�rklin's HO version is shortened (and thus out of
      scale) and has two two-axle boogies, to make it a better model RR runner.)

      The Rail Zeppelin is perfect for my layout; wouldn't mind having two
      actually. If I can only get it through my extreme tunnels...

      Happy for any thoughts,

      /Jacob

      - - - Jacob Munkhammar - - - jacob@... - - -
      - ARCHITECTURE - DESIGN - COMP.SOFTWARE - WRITING -
      mail: Arkitekt Christies gate 4b, N-7012 Trondheim, Norway
      www: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~jacob/
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hey Jacob,

        There is a Rail Zeppelin being offered on eBay.com at the moment. There is
        a picture of it although not all that useful for judging details. If you
        check the completed auctions search list for the 8876 you might come up with
        a few other pics. From what I gather the 8876 in Z is true to scale, that
        is it is not forshortened as is the case with the HO version. Several units
        have been sold on eBay this year. I suggest that you check the completed
        list again and contact the buyers or sellers by email and ask for their
        opinions.

        I will not offer an uneducated opinion concerning the other questions that
        you asked since I have never seen one in operation.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        >From: Jacob Munkhammar <jacob@...>
        >To: z_scale@onelist.com
        >Subject: [z_scale] The Scheinenzeppelin
        >Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:39:04 +0200
        >
        >From: Jacob Munkhammar <jacob@...>
        >
        >I'm considering buying a Rail Zeppelin (#8876, one of my little loves), but
        >have never seen or run any, so I have two questions.
        >
        >1) Someone told me the detailing isn't impressive. I only want it if it
        >looks good; does it?
        >
        >2) It has only two, fixed axles and a *very* long distance between the
        >axles; how sharp turns can it navigate? (Regardless of what may look silly
        >- there are tunnels ;-) (M�rklin's HO version is shortened (and thus out of
        >scale) and has two two-axle boogies, to make it a better model RR runner.)
        >
        >The Rail Zeppelin is perfect for my layout; wouldn't mind having two
        >actually. If I can only get it through my extreme tunnels...
        >
        >Happy for any thoughts,
        >
        >/Jacob

        > - - - Jacob Munkhammar - - - jacob@... - - -
        > - ARCHITECTURE - DESIGN - COMP.SOFTWARE - WRITING -
        > mail: Arkitekt Christies gate 4b, N-7012 Trondheim, Norway
        > www: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~jacob/

        >What do fashion and football have in common?
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >They both have communities at ONElist. Find yours today!

        >Z Scale RULES!
      • Manfred Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 1999
          Hi Jacob,
          I have a rail zep in HO. I did not know that it was shortened. In any
          case When I tried to run it on a test track of old Mtrack it did not do
          very well. The curves tend to slow it down a lot. The track came from an
          old set in the days when there was only one curve type. it may run
          better on the more modern track with a wide radius.

          As far as the Zgauge one goes I would like one also, and may get lucky
          some day. I would think that the same would apply to it, ie. on a tight
          curve it will tend to slow down because of it's length. No first hand
          experiance, just a guess based on the HO model and physics.

          Let me know of any info you get on it please.
          --
          Manfred Gottschalch
          Finance & Accounting Records Mgr.

          Ph: (352) 392-2329
          Fax: (352) 392-3831
          Suncom: 622-2329
          e-mail megott@...
        • Jacob Munkhammar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 1999
            >From: Manfred Gottschalch <megott@...>
            >
            >I have a rail zep in HO. I did not know that it was shortened.

            So I have read and heard, anyway. Compare yours with the Z-scale model on
            this page:
            http://www.hhmueller.com/z/schienen.htm

            I have studied photos of the real thing and I noted that in some pictures
            it has a four-bladed propellor, in others a two-bladed.
            Also, the right side windows seem to change (rear ones covered on the
            two-bladed version).
            But there was only one original one, right?

            /Jacob