Re: [Z_Scale] Row Crops

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
      In a message dated 12/2/2004 10:56:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      tfisher10@... writes:
      The discussion of grass and a trip in the country
      yesterday made me think of row crops. I don't know if
      I've seen a Z layout with row crops.
      I've played around a bit with row crops, not corn, but some "low" type crops.
      I bought some thin, self adhesive cork gasket material, used an exact knofe
      to cut parallel slits into the adhesive backing. I pulled off every other piece
      of backing and applied landscaping soil to the exposed adhesive. After the
      soil was in place, I removed some of the remaining backing and applied woodland
      Scenics "brush" for "bushy" crops. Then I removed the remainder and applied
      mixed shades of grass to represent "new" crops. I haven't applied any of these
      to a layout, yet, but I think I still have a couple of my test pieces around.
      If I can find them, I'll photograph them. They didn't turn out too bad.

      Dan S.

    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
        I've played around a bit with row crops, not corn, but some "low" type crops.

        Visit this site:
        http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/8552/ASMMain/Corn.html

        If you remove the bottom leaf, the rest of the corn stalk is correct for Z
        scale.

        Have fun,
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
          I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that hard and it look great
          in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too hard. Check out:
          http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html

          See the bottom photo.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
            In a message dated 12/2/2004 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            dnhalt@... writes:
            I have been trying to figure out how to model a vineyard. Any ideas..Dale

            Full growth or winter vines, or somewhere in between?

          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
              I found one of my experimental pieces. I had originally planned on piecing
              the fields together like a patch quilt with trees and wilderness areas in
              between. It's not much, but I posted a couple of photos in an album called "Row Crop
              Experiments".
              Dan S.

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                --- ztrack@... a écrit :

                > I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that
                > hard and it look great
                > in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too
                > hard. Check out:
                > http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html
                >
                > See the bottom photo.
                >
                > Rob Kluz
                >
                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                > Dublin, OH 43016
                > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                > www.ztrack.com

                Hi Rob, very nice module! How did you make the plate
                girder bridge? Fully scratchbuilt?
                Dominique

              • Michael Janis
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                  This might not make sense to our European members, but maybe the
                  American members will understand.

                  I took an aluminum window screen repair kit and cut the screen to be
                  about 2 inches long and ½ inch high. I removed cross pieces of wire
                  from the bottom, leaving the cross pieces at the top.

                  I put super glue on the wire intersections for reinforcement and then
                  spray-painted it a brownish gray.
                  I then put white glue on the top cross wires and dipped in fine
                  ground foam.

                  The up/down pieces are "twisty" from where the cross wires were and
                  look like the vines with the green foam looking like the leaves. The
                  wire was flexible enough to put on a hillside and have the "vines' go
                  up/down instead of pointing off the hill side at a 45 degree angle.
                  I made several to look like a vineyard.

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Dominique,

                    Yes, it is completely scratch built. It was also very easy to do! I plan on
                    running an article in Ztrack. Total time was about an hour to make it.
                    Personally, I love the result!

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • DaleHalterman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                      Full growth. Dale
                      > In a message dated 12/2/2004 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      > dnhalt@... writes:
                      > I have been trying to figure out how to model a vineyard. Any ideas..Dale
                      >

                      > Full growth or winter vines, or somewhere in between?

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tom Fisher
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                        I liked the burnt out shack and the effective use of
                        the shot-gun shacks.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                          Not bad for young cotton, soy bean, or similar plants.

                          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                        • ztrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                            In a message dated 12/3/04 10:47:48 AM, tfisher10@... writes:

                            > I liked the burnt out shack and the effective use of
                            > the shotgun shacks.

                            Thanks! The shot gun house kits are from Blair Line. I love them! Blair line
                            allows you to build them two different ways (with or without additional back
                            add on room). They are easy to build and paint and weather very nicely. The
                            burned down one was created using extra wood from the kits. The goal of the
                            modules is to create an overall impression with detailed scenes mixed in. I
                            really like this scene. Also notice the rusting coupe in the bushes behind the top
                            right brown house.

                            Rob Kluz

                            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            Dublin, OH 43016
                            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                            www.ztrack.com

                          • Bill Hoshiko
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                              ztrack@a... wrote:

                              > I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that hard and it
                              look great > in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too hard.
                              Check out: > http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html

                              > See the bottom photo.
                              >
                              > Rob Kluz

                              Hi Rob,

                              Your photos are a great argument for ZBend modules. No need for a
                              show to set up. Just the wife's consent to clear space on the floor.
                              Finished modules or unfinished modlules. Makes no difference.

                              Just hook 'em up on the floor and talk and play trains for a few
                              hours. Everyone gets new ideas and renewed energy.

                              Your North American style layout seems to be coming along just fine.
                              The high line adds new dimensions to the modules.

                              Thanks,

                              Bill
                              El Toro, Ca
                            • Bill Hoshiko
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                dpstripe@a... wrote:
                                > I found one of my experimental pieces. I had originally planned on
                                piecing the fields together like a patch quilt with trees and
                                wilderness areas in between. It's not much, but I posted a couple of
                                photos in an album called "Row Crop Experiments".
                                > Dan S.

                                Hi Dan,

                                Your row crops look so real that, as I got up close to see better, I
                                could smell the fertilizer.

                                Today is a good day. Good ideas, positive feelings.

                                Bill
                                El Toro, Ca
                              • Jim Glass
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                  Ztrack magazine, May/June 2004, page 5, has a picture of NWPZS' Winery module. Maybe Rob will post a copy of picture here.

                                  JimGl
                                  Redmond, WA
                                  Yes, it is completely scratch built. It was also very easy to do! I plan on
                                  running an article in Ztrack. Total time was about an hour to make it.
                                  Personally, I love the result!

                                  Rob

                                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                  Dublin, OH 43016
                                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                  www.ztrack.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ecvdhq/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1706533816:HM/EXP=1102167496/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                                • dpstripe@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                    In a message dated 12/3/2004 5:38:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    michael.janis@... writes:
                                    I took an aluminum window screen repair kit and cut the screen to be
                                    about 2 inches long and ½ inch high. I removed cross pieces of wire
                                    from the bottom, leaving the cross pieces at the top.

                                    I put super glue on the wire intersections for reinforcement and then
                                    spray-painted it a brownish gray.
                                    I then put white glue on the top cross wires and dipped in fine
                                    ground foam.

                                    I was going to suggest a similar idea, but insted of the screen, using magnet
                                    wire (or other fine wire) fastened to wooden end posts. I like Michael's idea
                                    better. It is self supporting, yet still flexible.
                                    Dan S.