Re: Solder Question

  • themohican2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@c...> wrote:

      > For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
      > chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
      > this is lead-free and acid-free.
      >
      > First question: Is this true?
      > Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean
      up
      > this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?
      >
      > Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      > Bryan

      Hi All
      I used some samples of Superior SuperSafe 30 flux which I got about
      30 years ago and confirmed that they still do produce this product.
      My reason for mentioning the product is: this flux is very good for
      making fine solder joints that need a minimum amount of
      solder...Example being for those of you making your own hand-laid
      track. This flux burns off with the heat applied to solder and I have
      made joints with this and never got any discoloration evident even
      after many years. I am going to renew my contacts with this company
      to find out the current price and minimum order with the possibility
      of breaking down an otherwise unrealistic amount for the average user
      and try offering bottles with 1 or 2 OZ for sale.
      Anyone interested keep watching for my results.
      Allan Borg
      SuZee-Line Rail Models