Re: Solder Question

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@c...> wrote:

      > For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
      > chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
      > this is lead-free and acid-free.
      >
      > First question: Is this true?
      > Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean
      up
      > this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?
      >
      > Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?

      Not a chemist, but about a year ago used Tix flux (liquid zinc
      chloride from Allied Mfg Corp) to solder track joiners. At the time
      contacted the mfg to ask the same question, the returned data sheet
      recommended cleaning after use on electronic copper pcb work.

      Just had another look at the soldered tracks, after a year there is
      some brown discoloration now where the flux remains, scraping the
      flux off with a bright-boy shows no corrosion of the metal rails.
      Still, it would not hurt to wash any flux off with baking soda
      solution, then plain water afterwards to remove the baking soda just
      to be on the safe side. A year is not very long in the lifetime of a
      model railroad.
    • themohican2003
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@c...> wrote:

        > For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
        > chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
        > this is lead-free and acid-free.
        >
        > First question: Is this true?
        > Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean
        up
        > this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?
        >
        > Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        > Bryan

        Hi All
        I used some samples of Superior SuperSafe 30 flux which I got about
        30 years ago and confirmed that they still do produce this product.
        My reason for mentioning the product is: this flux is very good for
        making fine solder joints that need a minimum amount of
        solder...Example being for those of you making your own hand-laid
        track. This flux burns off with the heat applied to solder and I have
        made joints with this and never got any discoloration evident even
        after many years. I am going to renew my contacts with this company
        to find out the current price and minimum order with the possibility
        of breaking down an otherwise unrealistic amount for the average user
        and try offering bottles with 1 or 2 OZ for sale.
        Anyone interested keep watching for my results.
        Allan Borg
        SuZee-Line Rail Models