Re: [Z_Scale] Re: F7 PROBLEM AGAIN!!!

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      > I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure everything
      > was exactly put back correctly.
      > Nada, nothing, will only go backwards!

      Sounds like you didn't get the gears back in the right place. They can NOT
      be off by ONE TOOTH. Your mechanism is binding going one way and not
      binding going the opposite way - tells me there is a definite problem with
      the gears. Especially since you just took it apart.

    • Jerry Salamon
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

        > I have one MT F7. I have extremely man handled it, taken it
        apart,
        > dropped it several times, and it still works very well. Perhaps
        > your F7 is somewhat defective, OR perhaps your F7 has a complex
        and
        > is retaliating against you running it around and around! It just
        > might be dizzy! Just a thought.
        >
        > I'd say go with what works best for you. If Marklin never fails
        you
        > go with it, but please don't put down MT for one malfunctioning F7
        > unit. We "Z" scalers need every manufacturer and more. Keep on
        > Railroading in "Z"!
        > Tim
        >

        > , --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...>
        > wrote:

        The funny thing about this loco is that it is a replacement from
        MT.
        If it was just one malfunctioning loco, I would not say anything.
        This is my fouth one and all needed something done to them.
        Either wipers added or sent back to MT.

        Jerry

        > > Hello All!!
        > >
        > > One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!
        > > Glen applied wipers to it and it ran great for a few months.
        > > Now prob's again.
        > > I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure everything
        > > was exactly put back correctly.
        > > Nada, nothing, will only go backwards!
        > > Do I just have a bad one or am I not supposed to play
        > > with Micro Trains.
        > > My Marklin loco's are looking better all the time.
        > > I am afraid now to play with my other F7 just in case
        > > the same happens to it also.
        > >
        > > Jerry
        > >
        > > P.S.Micro Trains should just stick to making cars not locos.
        IMHO!
      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...> wrote:

          >> One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!

          Have sent a private email to recommend things to check. Mechanical
          is certainly a possibility, but it may be that motor brushes are worn
          short and the slight angled end from forward running only is now too
          short for good commutator contact. In reverse (assuming the brush
          makes enough contact to let the motor turn enough to get started) the
          wobble in the brush holder could still let the angled longer brush
          edge make contact with the commutator in reverse only.

          I've had to replace brushes after about 500 hours of SLOW operation
          of one of my own locos (it just quit one day but the headlight was
          lit, and never tried running in reverse, just checked and replaced
          the brushes), and only know this time because as a test loco i logged
          the running time for the most part. Faster operation and hauling a
          consist would wear brushes sooner.

          Other than my own loco and 1 other repair i've never seen a running
          problem caused by worn brushes. My practice is to replace them when
          the wear exceeds 0.5mm, they still work at wear of 1mm, and so far no
          unit has come in with severe brush problems other than minor wear up
          to 1mm.

          If anyone has experienced problems caused by severely worn brushes
          your input is requested. Has anyone actually seen where worn brushes
          allowed running in the opposite direction to what the loco is used
          to? And can anyone who has replaced brushes provide data as to
          running time (hours), average speeds used, average length of consist
          etc? In spite of all the variables involved it could be useful to
          get some idea of typical brush life under these various operating
          conditions.
        • Jerry Salamon
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
            wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...>
            wrote:

            > >> One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!
            >
            > Have sent a private email to recommend things to check.
            Mechanical
            > is certainly a possibility, but it may be that motor brushes are
            worn
            > short and the slight angled end from forward running only is now
            too
            > short for good commutator contact. In reverse (assuming the brush
            > makes enough contact to let the motor turn enough to get started)
            the
            > wobble in the brush holder could still let the angled longer brush
            > edge make contact with the commutator in reverse only.

            Glen,

            I have not been able to reply to you because
            my computer is down.
            I am using the one at work to reply.
            As soon as I have my computer back up
            I will reply..