Solder Question

  • Kez
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
      chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
      this is lead-free and acid-free.

      First question: Is this true?
      Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean up
      this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?

      Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?

      Thanks for your help.
      Bryan
    • ken schulz
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        Yes, it is still corrosive to nickel silver. I would still suggest a rosin core solder with a small diameter.

        Kez <bkeyser@...> wrote:
        For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
        chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
        this is lead-free and acid-free.

        First question: Is this true?
        Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean up
        this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?

        Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?

        Thanks for your help.
        Bryan

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Melissa Cull
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          No flux should contain lead that is usually in the solder unless using
          solder paste which has both flux and solder combined. Modern solders are
          often lead free though still toxic if ingested.

          Some fluxes are alkaline and can still corrode.

          Washing soda crystals are very good for removing flux residue.

          Cleaning is always necessary, I used to work in electronics engineering
          industry for many years before moving to clinical research.

          Hope this helps.

          Melissa (UK)

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@c...> wrote:

            > For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
            > chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
            > this is lead-free and acid-free.
            >
            > First question: Is this true?
            > Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean
            up
            > this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?
            >
            > Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?

            Not a chemist, but about a year ago used Tix flux (liquid zinc
            chloride from Allied Mfg Corp) to solder track joiners. At the time
            contacted the mfg to ask the same question, the returned data sheet
            recommended cleaning after use on electronic copper pcb work.

            Just had another look at the soldered tracks, after a year there is
            some brown discoloration now where the flux remains, scraping the
            flux off with a bright-boy shows no corrosion of the metal rails.
            Still, it would not hurt to wash any flux off with baking soda
            solution, then plain water afterwards to remove the baking soda just
            to be on the safe side. A year is not very long in the lifetime of a
            model railroad.
          • themohican2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@c...> wrote:

              > For the chemists/scientists on the list: I have Nokorode(TM) zinc-
              > chloride flux for soldering. The material data sheet claims that
              > this is lead-free and acid-free.
              >
              > First question: Is this true?
              > Second question: Will the recommended baking soda/water mix clean
              up
              > this flux sufficiently to prevent future corrosion?
              >
              > Is the clean-up even necessary if this is truly acid-free?
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              > Bryan

              Hi All
              I used some samples of Superior SuperSafe 30 flux which I got about
              30 years ago and confirmed that they still do produce this product.
              My reason for mentioning the product is: this flux is very good for
              making fine solder joints that need a minimum amount of
              solder...Example being for those of you making your own hand-laid
              track. This flux burns off with the heat applied to solder and I have
              made joints with this and never got any discoloration evident even
              after many years. I am going to renew my contacts with this company
              to find out the current price and minimum order with the possibility
              of breaking down an otherwise unrealistic amount for the average user
              and try offering bottles with 1 or 2 OZ for sale.
              Anyone interested keep watching for my results.
              Allan Borg
              SuZee-Line Rail Models