Row Crops

  • Tom Fisher
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
      The discussion of grass and a trip in the country
      yesterday made me think of row crops. I don't know if
      I've seen a Z layout with row crops.

      Has anyone modeled corn (maize), sorgum (milo), or
      cotton (sow bean plants and cotton plants -- sans
      cottom boles -- look a lot alike from the Interstate
      at 75 mph) fields?

      Also, has anyone modeled mesquite or chaparal (brush)
      mottes? NOT cactus.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • DaleHalterman
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
        I have been trying to figure out how to model a vineyard. Any ideas..Dale

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
          In a message dated 12/2/2004 10:56:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          tfisher10@... writes:
          The discussion of grass and a trip in the country
          yesterday made me think of row crops. I don't know if
          I've seen a Z layout with row crops.
          I've played around a bit with row crops, not corn, but some "low" type crops.
          I bought some thin, self adhesive cork gasket material, used an exact knofe
          to cut parallel slits into the adhesive backing. I pulled off every other piece
          of backing and applied landscaping soil to the exposed adhesive. After the
          soil was in place, I removed some of the remaining backing and applied woodland
          Scenics "brush" for "bushy" crops. Then I removed the remainder and applied
          mixed shades of grass to represent "new" crops. I haven't applied any of these
          to a layout, yet, but I think I still have a couple of my test pieces around.
          If I can find them, I'll photograph them. They didn't turn out too bad.

          Dan S.

        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
            I've played around a bit with row crops, not corn, but some "low" type crops.

            Visit this site:
            http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/8552/ASMMain/Corn.html

            If you remove the bottom leaf, the rest of the corn stalk is correct for Z
            scale.

            Have fun,
            Bill K.
            Houston

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
              I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that hard and it look great
              in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too hard. Check out:
              http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html

              See the bottom photo.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com

            • dpstripe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                In a message dated 12/2/2004 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                dnhalt@... writes:
                I have been trying to figure out how to model a vineyard. Any ideas..Dale

                Full growth or winter vines, or somewhere in between?

              • dpstripe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2004
                  I found one of my experimental pieces. I had originally planned on piecing
                  the fields together like a patch quilt with trees and wilderness areas in
                  between. It's not much, but I posted a couple of photos in an album called "Row Crop
                  Experiments".
                  Dan S.

                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                    --- ztrack@... a écrit :

                    > I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that
                    > hard and it look great
                    > in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too
                    > hard. Check out:
                    > http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html
                    >
                    > See the bottom photo.
                    >
                    > Rob Kluz
                    >
                    > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    > Dublin, OH 43016
                    > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    > www.ztrack.com

                    Hi Rob, very nice module! How did you make the plate
                    girder bridge? Fully scratchbuilt?
                    Dominique

                  • Michael Janis
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                      This might not make sense to our European members, but maybe the
                      American members will understand.

                      I took an aluminum window screen repair kit and cut the screen to be
                      about 2 inches long and ½ inch high. I removed cross pieces of wire
                      from the bottom, leaving the cross pieces at the top.

                      I put super glue on the wire intersections for reinforcement and then
                      spray-painted it a brownish gray.
                      I then put white glue on the top cross wires and dipped in fine
                      ground foam.

                      The up/down pieces are "twisty" from where the cross wires were and
                      look like the vines with the green foam looking like the leaves. The
                      wire was flexible enough to put on a hillside and have the "vines' go
                      up/down instead of pointing off the hill side at a 45 degree angle.
                      I made several to look like a vineyard.

                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                        Dominique,

                        Yes, it is completely scratch built. It was also very easy to do! I plan on
                        running an article in Ztrack. Total time was about an hour to make it.
                        Personally, I love the result!

                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        www.ztrack.com

                      • DaleHalterman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                          Full growth. Dale
                          > In a message dated 12/2/2004 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          > dnhalt@... writes:
                          > I have been trying to figure out how to model a vineyard. Any ideas..Dale
                          >

                          > Full growth or winter vines, or somewhere in between?

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Tom Fisher
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                            I liked the burnt out shack and the effective use of
                            the shot-gun shacks.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                              Not bad for young cotton, soy bean, or similar plants.

                              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                            • ztrack@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                In a message dated 12/3/04 10:47:48 AM, tfisher10@... writes:

                                > I liked the burnt out shack and the effective use of
                                > the shotgun shacks.

                                Thanks! The shot gun house kits are from Blair Line. I love them! Blair line
                                allows you to build them two different ways (with or without additional back
                                add on room). They are easy to build and paint and weather very nicely. The
                                burned down one was created using extra wood from the kits. The goal of the
                                modules is to create an overall impression with detailed scenes mixed in. I
                                really like this scene. Also notice the rusting coupe in the bushes behind the top
                                right brown house.

                                Rob Kluz

                                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                Dublin, OH 43016
                                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                www.ztrack.com

                              • Bill Hoshiko
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                  ztrack@a... wrote:

                                  > I added to my modules a plowed field. It wasn't that hard and it
                                  look great > in my opinion. Adding crops to it should not be too hard.
                                  Check out: > http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKMODpg.html

                                  > See the bottom photo.
                                  >
                                  > Rob Kluz

                                  Hi Rob,

                                  Your photos are a great argument for ZBend modules. No need for a
                                  show to set up. Just the wife's consent to clear space on the floor.
                                  Finished modules or unfinished modlules. Makes no difference.

                                  Just hook 'em up on the floor and talk and play trains for a few
                                  hours. Everyone gets new ideas and renewed energy.

                                  Your North American style layout seems to be coming along just fine.
                                  The high line adds new dimensions to the modules.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Bill
                                  El Toro, Ca
                                • Bill Hoshiko
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                    dpstripe@a... wrote:
                                    > I found one of my experimental pieces. I had originally planned on
                                    piecing the fields together like a patch quilt with trees and
                                    wilderness areas in between. It's not much, but I posted a couple of
                                    photos in an album called "Row Crop Experiments".
                                    > Dan S.

                                    Hi Dan,

                                    Your row crops look so real that, as I got up close to see better, I
                                    could smell the fertilizer.

                                    Today is a good day. Good ideas, positive feelings.

                                    Bill
                                    El Toro, Ca
                                  • Jim Glass
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                      Ztrack magazine, May/June 2004, page 5, has a picture of NWPZS' Winery module. Maybe Rob will post a copy of picture here.

                                      JimGl
                                      Redmond, WA
                                      Yes, it is completely scratch built. It was also very easy to do! I plan on
                                      running an article in Ztrack. Total time was about an hour to make it.
                                      Personally, I love the result!

                                      Rob

                                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                      Dublin, OH 43016
                                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                      www.ztrack.com

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ecvdhq/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1706533816:HM/EXP=1102167496/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                                    • dpstripe@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
                                        In a message dated 12/3/2004 5:38:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                        michael.janis@... writes:
                                        I took an aluminum window screen repair kit and cut the screen to be
                                        about 2 inches long and ½ inch high. I removed cross pieces of wire
                                        from the bottom, leaving the cross pieces at the top.

                                        I put super glue on the wire intersections for reinforcement and then
                                        spray-painted it a brownish gray.
                                        I then put white glue on the top cross wires and dipped in fine
                                        ground foam.

                                        I was going to suggest a similar idea, but insted of the screen, using magnet
                                        wire (or other fine wire) fastened to wooden end posts. I like Michael's idea
                                        better. It is self supporting, yet still flexible.
                                        Dan S.