F7 PROBLEM AGAIN!!!

  • Jerry Salamon
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hello All!!

      One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!
      Glen applied wipers to it and it ran great for a few months.
      Now prob's again.
      I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure everything
      was exactly put back correctly.
      Nada, nothing, will only go backwards!
      Do I just have a bad one or am I not supposed to play
      with Micro Trains.
      My Marklin loco's are looking better all the time.
      I am afraid now to play with my other F7 just in case
      the same happens to it also.

      Jerry

      P.S.Micro Trains should just stick to making cars not locos. IMHO!
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        I have one MT F7. I have extremely man handled it, taken it apart,
        dropped it several times, and it still works very well. Perhaps
        your F7 is somewhat defective, OR perhaps your F7 has a complex and
        is retaliating against you running it around and around! It just
        might be dizzy! Just a thought.

        I'd say go with what works best for you. If Marklin never fails you
        go with it, but please don't put down MT for one malfunctioning F7
        unit. We "Z" scalers need every manufacturer and more. Keep on
        Railroading in "Z"!
        Tim

        , --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...>

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          > I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure everything
          > was exactly put back correctly.
          > Nada, nothing, will only go backwards!

          Sounds like you didn't get the gears back in the right place. They can NOT
          be off by ONE TOOTH. Your mechanism is binding going one way and not
          binding going the opposite way - tells me there is a definite problem with
          the gears. Especially since you just took it apart.

        • Jerry Salamon
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

            > I have one MT F7. I have extremely man handled it, taken it
            apart,
            > dropped it several times, and it still works very well. Perhaps
            > your F7 is somewhat defective, OR perhaps your F7 has a complex
            and
            > is retaliating against you running it around and around! It just
            > might be dizzy! Just a thought.
            >
            > I'd say go with what works best for you. If Marklin never fails
            you
            > go with it, but please don't put down MT for one malfunctioning F7
            > unit. We "Z" scalers need every manufacturer and more. Keep on
            > Railroading in "Z"!
            > Tim
            >

            > , --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...>
            > wrote:

            The funny thing about this loco is that it is a replacement from
            MT.
            If it was just one malfunctioning loco, I would not say anything.
            This is my fouth one and all needed something done to them.
            Either wipers added or sent back to MT.

            Jerry

            > > Hello All!!
            > >
            > > One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!
            > > Glen applied wipers to it and it ran great for a few months.
            > > Now prob's again.
            > > I took it apart and cleaned it, and made sure everything
            > > was exactly put back correctly.
            > > Nada, nothing, will only go backwards!
            > > Do I just have a bad one or am I not supposed to play
            > > with Micro Trains.
            > > My Marklin loco's are looking better all the time.
            > > I am afraid now to play with my other F7 just in case
            > > the same happens to it also.
            > >
            > > Jerry
            > >
            > > P.S.Micro Trains should just stick to making cars not locos.
            IMHO!
          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...> wrote:

              >> One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!

              Have sent a private email to recommend things to check. Mechanical
              is certainly a possibility, but it may be that motor brushes are worn
              short and the slight angled end from forward running only is now too
              short for good commutator contact. In reverse (assuming the brush
              makes enough contact to let the motor turn enough to get started) the
              wobble in the brush holder could still let the angled longer brush
              edge make contact with the commutator in reverse only.

              I've had to replace brushes after about 500 hours of SLOW operation
              of one of my own locos (it just quit one day but the headlight was
              lit, and never tried running in reverse, just checked and replaced
              the brushes), and only know this time because as a test loco i logged
              the running time for the most part. Faster operation and hauling a
              consist would wear brushes sooner.

              Other than my own loco and 1 other repair i've never seen a running
              problem caused by worn brushes. My practice is to replace them when
              the wear exceeds 0.5mm, they still work at wear of 1mm, and so far no
              unit has come in with severe brush problems other than minor wear up
              to 1mm.

              If anyone has experienced problems caused by severely worn brushes
              your input is requested. Has anyone actually seen where worn brushes
              allowed running in the opposite direction to what the loco is used
              to? And can anyone who has replaced brushes provide data as to
              running time (hours), average speeds used, average length of consist
              etc? In spite of all the variables involved it could be useful to
              get some idea of typical brush life under these various operating
              conditions.
            • Jerry Salamon
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
                wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Salamon" <jjssmm01@t...>
                wrote:

                > >> One of my F7's will only run backwords but not forwards!
                >
                > Have sent a private email to recommend things to check.
                Mechanical
                > is certainly a possibility, but it may be that motor brushes are
                worn
                > short and the slight angled end from forward running only is now
                too
                > short for good commutator contact. In reverse (assuming the brush
                > makes enough contact to let the motor turn enough to get started)
                the
                > wobble in the brush holder could still let the angled longer brush
                > edge make contact with the commutator in reverse only.

                Glen,

                I have not been able to reply to you because
                my computer is down.
                I am using the one at work to reply.
                As soon as I have my computer back up
                I will reply..