Re: RE: Re: Re: Realistic Boulders - Small Ones

  • Vincent Goudreault
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
      > Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:33:55 -0000
      > From: "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: Re: Realistic Boulders - Small Ones
      >
      > Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers are usually 40khz or a little lower. Will
      > keep
      > the little horrors off your Z scale track though and if you use the high
      > frequency track cleaners or DCC they will get a nice zap if they touch
      > both
      > rails as can humans so be careful if you have pacemakers, irregular
      > heartbeat etc...!

      Not wanting to make too much of an issue with somethign that is getting a
      bit OT;
      but most ultrasonic repellers will warble (instead of staying at only one
      frequency)
      and may leak sub-harmonics below 20 kHz. I experienced this first hand in
      1983,
      when a drugstore near where I lived then in Toronto had one of those, and I
      could
      not stand being in there as it gave me headache. I did locate the source of
      my discomfort
      and asked an employee what that box on the ceiling was, and I was told it
      was an
      ultrasonic repellent, but I was not supposed to hear it (why do people
      believe that if
      they are unaffected, then nobody does?)

      Evidently, there may be more models some of them safe for even the ones with
      better
      than average ears, but if one gets a ultrasonic repellent and end up being
      the one chased
      away from their Z layout, well, not much is gained...

      CBVG