Source for lighthouses

  • elf_rohirrim
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Interested in a lighthouse on your layout?

      When traveling this weekend, I saw a display
      of model lighthouses -- one of which which might
      fit your needs and layout. The company
      has a website and you can check them out
      at your leisure:

      www. harbourlights. com (remove spaces)

      Many of the SMALL lighthouses could be
      appropriate -- some in the front of a layout as a
      focal point, and others at a point further away.
      And they are priced about US$12 - 15 each,
      which seems quite reasonable for models
      with this level of detail (and landscaping). There
      are over 150 to choose from, so it may be possible
      to use one that you know quite well, or even one
      to which you might have a sentimental attachment.

      A quick comment -- these models are all
      produced to be about the same size,
      irrespective of the size of the original. For
      instance, the Mukilteo lighthouse (prototype) is
      quite small, but its model is about the same size
      (3 inch x 3 inch base and maybe 4.5
      inches tall) as the Gray's Harbor model, even
      though the real Gray's Harbor lighthouse is
      more than 3 times taller than the Mukilteo one.

      If you are interested, check the website and
      maybe even contact the company for more
      detailed info on a particular model. There is
      also a dealer locator on their website.

      Another source is a company called Spoontiques;
      their models are about equally detailed, but it
      has been a long time since I saw them, so I am
      not sure what their relative size is compared to
      the smaller Harbour Lights models.

      (I have no connection with either company --
      just saw what might be of interest to some in
      the group.)

      ELF