Re: [Z_Scale] Converting Marklin caboose to MTL couplers

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
      I don't know for sure....

      Sounds like you need to use the ORIGINAL pin and bore/ream out the truck
      frame a bit to accommodate the larger pin.

      ??

    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
        Hi John,

        I can't stand the look of the M caboose truck spacing. I didn't go
        so far as to use MTL trucks.

        My solution was to cut the caboose undercarriage and move the
        couplers apart towards a more visually pleasing position. The M
        couplers themselves were replaced with MTL 902 short shank coupler
        conversions. I filling in the space in the middle of the
        undercarriage with styrene and some small styrene detail parts and
        wire to simulate brake parts.

        The FR solution also places the MTL trucks in the correct position
        and doesn't involve any surgery on the undercarriage.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
        > John:
        >
        > > >I have a Marklin caboose I want to convert to MTL couplers.
        >
        > > I think you have to replace only the coupler.
      • Dr John Lundy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
          Thanks for the info and advice on converting couplers. Someone said
          the MTL monitors this group and listens to what we would like to see
          as products. Hmmm... how about trucks with MTL couplers mounted for
          Marklin passenger cars and cabeese? BTW, do most folks leave the
          coupler on the rear of the Marklin observation car? I was thinking
          of removing it for a better look.

          Thanks all,
          John
        • johnegert
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
            I took my Marklin off the Obs, and body mounted an MTL, then painted
            it silver to give it the ATSF look. Also reduced( to near absurdity)
            a drumhead of the Chief for the square space above the coupler.
            john
          • Dr John Lundy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johnegert" <bonsaitrain@m...> wrote:

              > I took my Marklin off the Obs, and body mounted an MTL, then
              painted
              > it silver to give it the ATSF look. Also reduced( to near
              absurdity)
              > a drumhead of the Chief for the square space above the coupler.
              > john

              Hi John,
              I think I will do as you did. I have a set of ATSF passenger cars on
              the way and plan to redo them in CB&Q. Are the graphics pad printed
              with paint? I have had luck with N scale by using strong cleaning
              solutions and Q-tips to remove lettering without messing up the
              paint.

              John