Maerklin Christmas set #81522

  • Jeremy Brandon
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      I understand that the new Christmas starter set has a version of the
      battery controller with built-in electronics. Has anyone tried it?

      There is a picture here:

      http://www.zscale.de/images/815/image_52.html

      which shows a little black button next to the direction switch. How
      does it work.

      I should point out that the Joerger Battery speed regulator available
      from Ztrack will not fit in this version of the battery controller!

      Jeremy.

      PS Buy now while the price is right:
      http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/detail.asp?item=81522
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Hello Roberto,

        > The news is also the curved feeder track

        That's how it looks at a first glance (and what I thought also at
        first), but I don't think so, because on the German Maerklin website
        www.maerklin.de under Produkte and 81522 it says:

        > Inhalt: Gleisoval aus 8 gebogenen und 2 geraden Gleisen, mit
        > Anschluss. Anlagengröße 357 x 302 mm.

        8 curves and 2 straight tracks. Which would be the same as in all the
        other fun sets too.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          I have the Maerklin Christmas set. Track is same as other start sets 2 x
          straight and 8 curved, the controller isn't electronic just has a start /
          stop button added, very disappointing as thought it might have speed
          control.

          1 x gold painted loco BR89 and 1 x refrigerator red and gold wagon with
          Cherubs on. The box folds out to form a layout base with tunnel.

          Also thrown in is 1 x 32 track CD of German Christmas Carols which is nice.

          Melissa (UK)

          I understand that the new Christmas starter set has a version of the
          battery controller with built-in electronics. Has anyone tried it?

          There is a picture here:

          http://www.zscale.de/images/815/image_52.html

          which shows a little black button next to the direction switch. How
          does it work.

          I should point out that the Joerger Battery speed regulator available
          from Ztrack will not fit in this version of the battery controller!

          Jeremy.

          PS Buy now while the price is right:
          http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/detail.asp?item=81522

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jeremy Brandon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
            --- "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@m...> wrote:
            > I have the Maerklin Christmas set ... the controller isn't
            > electronic just has a start / stop button added, very
            > disappointing as thought it might have speed control.

            Melissa, thanks for replying. That's very strange - the one I had a
            glimpse of briefly contained a whole bunch of electronics under the
            small cover. I thought I saw an encapsulated chip and other SMD
            components. The button seemed too short to use! Are there any
            instructions? Have you tried multiple clicks and long presses? The
            blurb on the Maerklin website definitely says the battery controller
            is "adjustable" ("regelbar" in German) - the first time it has ever
            been described in that way. Jeremy.
          • Melissa Cull
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
              Hi Jeremy,

              I've just had the Christmas set out again and examined it more closely and
              test run it again.

              Yes there is a PCB in it but the back plate is glued on. I tried the button
              again if held down it changes the speed by 3 increments fast, extra fast and
              extra extra fast. All 3 speeds are much two fast and the control is sort of
              stop start. All in all pretty disapointing.

              For a better small Maerklin controller try the new extension set 81951 for
              the Vacation Set 81521 they have made the mains controller smaller by taking
              out the transformer and supplying a seperate one. This means you could
              actually dump the mains unit and connect controller directly to a battery
              for a portable layout.

              Melissa (UK)