Realistic Boulders - Small Ones

  • Phil Risbridger
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2004
      My friend came round the other night and commented on the realistic
      textured small boulders at the base of my hills.

      Odd, I have not started on the finer details, so I had a closer look.

      Mouse droppings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      It appears that the mice have found the Scenics Foam a nice warm
      place for winter.

      I suppose I could get a cat, but a cat could do even more damage.

      Anyone got any ideas, without using poison or traps?

      Phil
    • Randy Smidt
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
        You might try one of those ultrasonic emitters, that gives off a very high pitch sound that supposedly keeps rodents away. Anyone know what the proper name for these devices is? I've never used one so I don't know how well they work. I have seen them used in warehouses that store plant seeds so they must be at least partially effective.

        Randy Smidt
        Springfield, VA

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Risbridger" <phil@r...> wrote:

          > Mouse droppings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          > Anyone got any ideas, without using poison or traps?

          I'n guessing your dislike of traps is to avoid killing. There are a
          number of different types of catch-and-release humane traps
          available, will let you free the critter(s) again in a more suitable
          habitat. But best done quickly, while droppings may add to the
          scenic effects, drippings may cause corrosion of rails, wiring, or
          locos.
        • Flayrah
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
            I purchased live traps from Home Depot. They are completely
            enclosed and made of a translucent plastic so any captured mice can
            be seen and quickly released. But I found two problems that might
            affect use on a layout: Mice are suprisingly strong - I've found
            traps that have been flipped upside down by mice trying to escape;
            the movement of the traps would easily damage a layout. And the
            traps need a level surface, perferably in a corner, in order to lure
            the mice and not look suspicious. If you could find were the mice
            are coming from, before they go onto your layout, and catch them
            there, that would probably be a better solution. And please do not
            use poison unless there is NO other choice. Most "pest" poison
            causes death by internal hemorage, and I can't think of a more
            painful and prolonged way to die. Plus the poison is very unsafe if
            you have any pets or children.

            > > Mouse droppings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > > Anyone got any ideas, without using poison or traps?
            > >

            > I'n guessing your dislike of traps is to avoid killing. There are
            > number of different types of catch-and-release humane traps
            > available, will let you free the critter(s) again in a more
            suitable
            > habitat.
          • Melissa Cull
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
              I'd disinfect the layout as you can get some horrible diseases from mouse
              urine and droppings and worse if its rats....

              If using traps don't use cheese mice love chocolate and raisins.

              Ultrasonic rodent repellents are OK but cats and dogs can't stand the noise.

              In UK mice are considered a health risk, the local councils send people out
              to put boxes of poison out which will cause the mouse to mummify once dead
              so it won't smell or cause a health risk. Just keep away from children and
              pets.

              Its better to exterminate them unless you can release them out in the wild
              away from any buildings.

              Melissa (UK)

              I purchased live traps from Home Depot. They are completely
              enclosed and made of a translucent plastic so any captured mice can
              be seen and quickly released. But I found two problems that might
              affect use on a layout: Mice are suprisingly strong - I've found
              traps that have been flipped upside down by mice trying to escape;
              the movement of the traps would easily damage a layout. And the
              traps need a level surface, perferably in a corner, in order to lure
              the mice and not look suspicious. If you could find were the mice
              are coming from, before they go onto your layout, and catch them
              there, that would probably be a better solution. And please do not
              use poison unless there is NO other choice. Most "pest" poison
              causes death by internal hemorage, and I can't think of a more
              painful and prolonged way to die. Plus the poison is very unsafe if
              you have any pets or children.

              > > Mouse droppings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              > > Anyone got any ideas, without using poison or traps?
              > >

              > I'n guessing your dislike of traps is to avoid killing. There are
              > number of different types of catch-and-release humane traps
              > available, will let you free the critter(s) again in a more
              suitable
              > habitat.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada

            • Vincent Goudreault
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
                Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:07:19 -0000
                From: "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
                Subject: RE: Re: Realistic Boulders - Small Ones

                (...)

                Ultrasonic rodent repellents are OK but cats and dogs can't stand the noise.
                (...)

                Ultrasonic repeller may also give you a headache, if you percive the high
                pitch whine.
                Chances are, if you can percieve the 16 kHz moise from a TV set, the
                ultrasonic unit,
                at elast some which iare not really ultrasonic as such since it is below 20
                kHz, will
                make life uncomfortable for you as well.

                CBVG
              • Melissa Cull
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers are usually 40khz or a little lower. Will keep
                  the little horrors off your Z scale track though and if you use the high
                  frequency track cleaners or DCC they will get a nice zap if they touch both
                  rails as can humans so be careful if you have pacemakers, irregular
                  heartbeat etc...!

                  Not being paranoid with the nasty diseases rodents can give you, just
                  sensible and thinking of peoples safety with their Z scale trains, what do
                  you think gave most of Europe Bubonic plague - fleas on rodents. Viles or
                  is it Biles disease is also a killer that is in rodent urine if it gets in
                  the water supply or you touch or accidently ingest fresh puddles or
                  droppings on your layout. Some vermin can also give you salomonella.

                  I work in clinical research so I get to read lots of medical papers and we
                  get the 'rat man' around regularly to make sure the buildings don't have
                  rodents or cockroaches which are also a health hazard.

                  We should also keep our layouts as dust free as possible because dust can
                  host the deadly MRSA antibiotic resistant bacteria, gentle careful vacuuming
                  with a computer vacuum works wonders, just remember to clean / change the
                  filters / bags regularly.

                  Safe and happy Z scale modelling.

                  Melissa (UK)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
                    > Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:33:55 -0000
                    > From: "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
                    > Subject: RE: Re: Re: Realistic Boulders - Small Ones
                    >
                    > Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers are usually 40khz or a little lower. Will
                    > keep
                    > the little horrors off your Z scale track though and if you use the high
                    > frequency track cleaners or DCC they will get a nice zap if they touch
                    > both
                    > rails as can humans so be careful if you have pacemakers, irregular
                    > heartbeat etc...!

                    Not wanting to make too much of an issue with somethign that is getting a
                    bit OT;
                    but most ultrasonic repellers will warble (instead of staying at only one
                    frequency)
                    and may leak sub-harmonics below 20 kHz. I experienced this first hand in
                    1983,
                    when a drugstore near where I lived then in Toronto had one of those, and I
                    could
                    not stand being in there as it gave me headache. I did locate the source of
                    my discomfort
                    and asked an employee what that box on the ceiling was, and I was told it
                    was an
                    ultrasonic repellent, but I was not supposed to hear it (why do people
                    believe that if
                    they are unaffected, then nobody does?)

                    Evidently, there may be more models some of them safe for even the ones with
                    better
                    than average ears, but if one gets a ultrasonic repellent and end up being
                    the one chased
                    away from their Z layout, well, not much is gained...

                    CBVG