need input for market research Thank you

  • mikelie@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2001
      Hello
      I am currently developing a model railroad system that would be smaller than Z scale. With our onboard motors we are able to scale down to 1-400 or so for a GP 40 size loco or Zn3. We will be posting photos of the GP 40 w/4 cars soon once endurance testing is complete.
      Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?
      all items will be sold in the mm system for ease of conversion (We americans are a bit off with our imperials, and generally bad in math)
      My aim is a 1-500 sys for mass production
      Any input will be greatly accepted. Thanks
      Mike D
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 7, 2001
        Hello Mike,

        Did you know that there are thousands of modelers who build 1/350 scale
        ships?
        I have four ships: The USS Houston, the Prince of Wales, the USS Stevens

        and the Battleship Texas, all 1/350 scale. Not only that, but many
        Japanese ship
        model companys make their products to this scale. I'm sure that you
        would have
        an even larger market for 1/350 because many of us ship modelers would
        like
        to build an operational dockside layout with our ships. 1/400 would be
        just
        too small.

        Think about it.

        Reynard

        mikelie@... wrote:

        > Hello
        > I am currently developing a model railroad system that would be
        > smaller than Z scale. With our onboard motors we are able to scale
        > down to 1-400 or so for a GP 40 size loco or Zn3. We will be posting
        > photos of the GP 40 w/4 cars soon once endurance testing is complete.
        > Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?
        > all items will be sold in the mm system for ease of conversion (We
        > americans are a bit off with our imperials, and generally bad in math)
        >
        > My aim is a 1-500 sys for mass production
        > Any input will be greatly accepted. Thanks
        > Mike D
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2001
          Mike, I don't understand your scale calculations. Zn3 is still
          1/220 scale not 1/400. The n3 simply indicates that the track
          gauge is 36" and not standard gauge.

          So you are planning to produce a GP40 in 1/400 scale. What is
          the track width in mm? I assume that you are producing track as
          well?

          However, my preference would be to see more hood units in Z
          scale or even some more exotic steamers that have been
          impossible due to motor size limitations. I'm thinking of
          Plymouth industrial switcher, GE 40 - 70 ton, EMD SW1200,
          GP7-9, Alco S2-3-4, RS18 etc. for diesels and Shay, Mallet,
          Porter 0-4-0 etc. for steamers.

          I don't have any personal interest in a 1/400 GP40. If you plan to
          produce some authentic narrow gauge motive power in 1/220, I
          would consider it.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan

          --- In z_scale@egroups.com, mikelie@w... wrote:
          > Hello
          > I am currently developing a model railroad system that would
          be smaller than Z scale. With our onboard motors we are able to
          scale down to 1-400 or so for a GP 40 size loco or Zn3. We will
          be posting photos of the GP 40 w/4 cars soon once endurance
          testing is complete.
          > Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?
          > all items will be sold in the mm system for ease of conversion
          (We americans are a bit off with our imperials, and generally bad
          in math)
          > My aim is a 1-500 sys for mass production
          > Any input will be greatly accepted. Thanks
          > Mike D
        • ben scaro
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2001
            Hi Jeff and others

            I concur. I really cannot see the need for *yet* another scale. Z scale is
            currently supplied with the grand total of 3 RTR US locos, a USRA-ish 2-8-2,
            F7 A and B, and the MT Mogul. The Rogue locos have come and gone and should
            not be considered for these purposes.

            If the technology permits, a Z GP7-9 or SW switcher would be far more use to
            far more people. It would have application to Nn3 too.

            Cheers

            Ben

          • Peter Anderson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2001
              Why is the question?

              How about Mallard in Z
              or Silver Fox?
              Take Care

              Peter.J.C.Anderson
            • Kari Tanskanen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2001
                mikelie@... wrote:

                > Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?

                I guess there's not much interest in this group as there isn't enough
                choices available in current scales. I'd like to see European Nm or Zm
                stuff.
                I might buy one 1:400 item just for curiosity if I got it cheap. I don't
                even mention how cheap, as I guess such prices are not possible.

                Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
                http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
                Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
              • Jay & Anne Greer
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2001
                  Hi Mike,
                  I am interested both in Zn3 and Zm. However, I fear that 1:400 is pushing
                  the limit too far for my old eyes.
                  I would however, be interested in hearing more about narrow and meter gauge
                  Z.
                  Jay Greer

                  > From: Kari Tanskanen <ktanskan@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:51:47 +0200
                  > To: z_scale@egroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [z_scale] need input for market research Thank you
                  >
                  > mikelie@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?
                  >
                  > I guess there's not much interest in this group as there isn't enough
                  > choices available in current scales. I'd like to see European Nm or Zm
                  > stuff.
                  > I might buy one 1:400 item just for curiosity if I got it cheap. I don't
                  > even mention how cheap, as I guess such prices are not possible.

                  > Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
                  > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
                  > Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

                • Robert Allbritton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 8, 2001
                    Mike,

                    I would be very interested in some 1 meter gauge equipment in Z scale
                    (1:220) but I can not say that I have any interest in another scale such as
                    1:400. I believe that you are looking for the novelty of the smaller size to
                    be a selling point, but I think you may find that an entrenched base of Z
                    scale enthusiasts may provide a better customer list, especially if the
                    price is right.

                    Best,
                    -Rob

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 8, 2001
                      Mike,
                      A while back some people were talking about HZ 1/440.
                      As much as these interest me from a scientific point of view, I feel Z is
                      about as small as I want to model, because Z scale already has the
                      perspective of being veiwed from a long way up and away.(Such as flying at
                      1000 ft in a helicopter only without the loud noise, and in my case the
                      little brown bag:) If you go out to 1/400, no matter how much detail you put
                      into your models you wouldn't be able to see it at a normal distance from
                      the layout. That said, I'm sure if you build it there are people who could
                      not live without it.

                      Don

                      ps. Some of us Americans are actually quite comfortable with math we even
                      can go above 10 without taking our shoes off.

                      >From: mikelie@...
                      >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                      >Subject: [z_scale] need input for market research Thank you
                      >Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 02:59:28 -0000
                      >
                      >Hello
                      > I am currently developing a model railroad system that would be smaller
                      >than Z scale. With our onboard motors we are able to scale down to 1-400 or
                      >so for a GP 40 size loco or Zn3. We will be posting photos of the GP 40
                      >w/4 cars soon once endurance testing is complete.
                      >Is thee ore intrest in your group in Zn3 or 1-400?
                      >all items will be sold in the mm system for ease of conversion (We
                      >americans are a bit off with our imperials, and generally bad in math)
                      > My aim is a 1-500 sys for mass production
                      > Any input will be greatly accepted. Thanks
                      > Mike D

                    • Danny Goodman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 9, 2001
                        As long as we're talking small (and I hope this message isn't too far
                        "off-scale"), the so-called TY scale (1:900) has been around for a bit
                        (usually on display at the front table of GATS shows). Close up, it's a
                        little hokey (the motor is under the layout, and drags the wheel-less
                        train around the track), but it is, nevertheless, a conversation piece.
                        For the size, though, the layouts are nicely done. Web site at:
                        <http://www.tinytrains.qpg.com/>.

                        I have one on my desk, so I can try to answer any queries off the group.

                        Danny
                        http://www.dannyg.com
                      • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 10, 2001
                          Dear Mike,

                          I do not like to depress you. However, a scale smaller than Z (1:220) is in my
                          oppinion just a toy, not a serious rail road model. Even with scale Z (1:220) we
                          have enough problems to get to be accepted as a grown up system.
                          In scale 1:400 the problems will grow faster than you may expect, price wise and
                          operational wise. As an example, which kind of motor and gear you intend to put
                          in an GP 38? In scale Z, there are already problems to do this.

                          greetings

                          Dieter

                          Dieter W. Nolte
                          E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                        • Jay & Anne Greer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 11, 2001
                            Hello Mike,
                            I must agree with Dieter concerning a smaller scale. While interesting, I
                            think that 1:400 would be more of a novelty than a practical modelers scale.
                            I am personally undertaking a Zn3 Shay project of my own. I have discovered
                            that while the idea of Zn3 has a romantic appeal to me, the cost tooling
                            alone would put it out of reach of the average modeler unless I were able to
                            mass produce it and that is not on the horizon at present.
                            Best of luck to you in what ever scale you choose to follow.
                            Best Wishes,
                            Jay Greer/Der Wegmann