Wahl Oil - was Joerger DeLuxe Speed Regulator vs. Gaugemaster

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
      > I suspect that the oil actually disolved grime that had adhered to
      > the plastic wheels of my MTL rolling stock and metal wheels of my
      > Marklin passenger cars. The locos then picked up the newly
      released
      > crud and performance suffered. It took about 3 wheel cleanings
      with
      > the Speedi-driver and a complete wipe-down of the trackage with a
      > Joerger cleaning wand to remove the oil mixed with the deposit.

      Same happened when i put dirty rolling stock wheels on track still
      wet from alcohol. Then the tracks and wheels dried a few minutes
      later and were much dirtier than before. Nothing would run.
      Annoying, but fortunately was not during a train show.

      The only time i ever saw Wahl Oil cause traction loss was on N scale
      locos with rubber tires. The oil does make the rubber lose it's grip
      on the rail. For metal wheel to metal rail is not a problem.

      Wahl oil does float the crud. It does not eliminate the crud
      accumulation, but does make it much easier to deal with. It
      certainly is a good way to clean rolling stock wheels en masse as
      long as one is willing to wipe the tracks a few times during the
      process. Beats cleaning each wheel one at a time. Continuous use of
      fresh, clean Wahl oil on cleaned rails prevents dirt from
      accumulating on the rolling stock wheels.

      With just a little crud on the rails the Wahl oil seems to allow the
      locomotive to tolerate it by squishing the floating crud aside as it
      rolls. Makes the tracks appear to stay clean longer. Eventually the
      dirt builds up to the point where a wipedown becomes necessary. At
      this time a gentle alcohol rag wipe is all that is needed. No
      scrubbing necessary. Then another drop of fresh Wahl oil to keep the
      next week's (or month's) crud accumulation under control and
      removeable. The time for a quick wipedown is when locomotives begin
      to stall again.

      I've used Wahl oil ever since Bill suggested it. Found it to be very
      useful both in prolonging times between cleanings, keeping rolling
      stock wheels themselves clean, making locomotive wheels very easy to
      clean manually, and turning the regular track cleanings from a
      drudgerous scrubbing chore to a simple alcohol rag wiping.

      Sounds like an interesting poll subject. Will set one up in a bit.
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
        Rags? Chamois (real or synthetic)? What's best for
        not leaving lint or residue when wiping off track?

        --- Glen Chenier <chenierfam@...> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han"
        > <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
        [snip]

        > alcohol rag wiping.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
          > Rags? Chamois (real or synthetic)? What's best for
          > not leaving lint or residue when wiping off track?

          A lint-free cloth? :) Chamois, cotton, old sock - any smooth-surface
          soft cloth that is not fuzzy. Preferably without that fabric softener
          stuff in it; haven't noted any problem from this but better to avoid
          it if possible. You won't need to press hard enough to leave lint.
          Paper towels not recommended, they catch and tear, but will do in a
          pinch if nothing else available.

          It's always good to regularly vacuum the tracks too. Cloth lint is
          minor compared to some of the dust bunnies and spider webs that can
          collect, especially on little-used sidings.
        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
            > Rags?

            The idea is to use any absorbent material to soak up both the oil and
            the suspended liquified dirt with one swipe without scrubbing. One
            material that DOES leave lint behind is Handi-Wipes (aka J-cloth).
            While this stuff is great when cut into strips and wrapped around the
            roller of a N scale Centerline Products track cleaning car (fitted
            with Z scale trucks), it does leave behind big clumps of fuzz at rail
            joints and turnout frogs and points when swiped rather than rolled.
            Most smooth surface cloth will absorb the dirty oil without leaving
            fibres behind.
          • zbendtrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2004
              tfisher10:

              > Rags? Chamois (real or synthetic)? What's best for
              > not leaving lint or residue when wiping off track?

              1. Old cotton "T" shirts cut up
              2. Coffee filters

              Regards,
              Bill K.
              Houston

            • Bill Powers
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2004
                Tom, Real Chamois. Kind of pricey but you get so much that lasts a long time. Works with alcohol or goo-gone etc.
                Rags? Chamois (real or synthetic)? What's best for
                not leaving lint or residue when wiping off track?

                --- Glen Chenier <chenierfam@...> wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han"
                > <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
                [snip]

                > alcohol rag wiping.

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Mark Fielder
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2004
                  >I've used Wahl oil ever since Bill suggested it. Found it to be very
                  >useful both in prolonging times between cleanings, keeping rolling
                  >stock wheels themselves clean, making locomotive wheels very easy to
                  >clean manually, and turning the regular track cleanings from a
                  >drudgerous scrubbing chore to a simple alcohol rag wiping.
                  >
                  >Sounds like an interesting poll subject. Will set one up in a bit.

                  Is there anything special about Wahl Oil (spell checker has just suggested
                  Whale Oil!) or is it just a light machine oil?

                  Mark.
                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2004
                    Hello Mark,

                    > Is there anything special about Wahl Oil (spell checker has just suggested
                    > Whale Oil!) or is it just a light machine oil?

                    I use the stuff that came with my beard clipper for the scissors...

                    --
                    GreetingZ
                    Uwe
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2004
                      "Mark Fielder" <markfielder@m...> wrote:

                      > Is there anything special about Wahl Oil (spell checker has just
                      suggested
                      > Whale Oil!) or is it just a light machine oil?
                      >
                      > Mark.

                      Hi Mark,

                      Wahl Oil is a lubricant sold by Wahl a company that manufactures
                      clippers for giving hair cuts. The Wahl company seems to be a major
                      supplier of hair clippers to professional hair emporiums. Check with
                      your Barber the next time you have your hair trimmed.

                      It think that it is available on both sides of the Atlantic.

                      Bill
                      El Toro, Ca