Re: RRampMeter and Fast Tracks

  • zbarr474
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
      Robert:

      Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
      morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
      first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:

      > "zbarr474" wrote:
      > Fast Tracks solution
      > > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
      > > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
      > > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
      > >
      > > ....don
      >
      > Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
      > first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
      > modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
      > their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
      > solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
      > Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
      > by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
      > wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.
      >
      > Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
      > http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm
      >
      > I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
      > solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.
      >

      > Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
      > my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
      > round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
      > modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
      > yard module.
      >
      > -Robert
    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
        zbarr474" wrote:
        > Robert:
        >
        > Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
        > morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
        > first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.
        >
        > ...don

        I received the photo's in my mail this morning. I will post them on
        my page after work tonight so everyone can see the modifications that
        Tim of Fast Tracks had done to solve our Z Scale jigs problem. Thanks
        for sharing Don!

        -Robert
      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
          Can anybody steer me to a good deal on about 200 feet of Micro
          Engineering code 40 rails. I would prefer the pre weathered style.
          Thanks in Advance
          Ed Scullin

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Robert Ray
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
            Hi Ed, I'm still working out the details of laser cut ties, and I got
            the cost down with 1/32" basswood but...

            Try to avoid the pre-weathered track if you can. I bought some, and
            had nothing but trouble soldering it to PC ties. It really looks
            great, but is a hassle to sand away the weathering where you are going
            to solder to pc ties. It requires extra heat, and at about every 3 or
            4 ties, the copper clad lifts off the pc tie from the heat.

            I switched to unweathered rail, and it is so much better to solder. (I
            use a pc tie every inch) I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
            works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
            don't weather much at all.

            I am on my third attempt at weathered rail, this time by painting it
            with Floquil Roof Brown (rail brown looks too light to me) then wiping
            the tops of the rail with a paper towel wet with Dio-Sol thiner. Later
            a bright boy to seal the deal. So far this is my favorite method to
            weather rail.

            -Robert

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
              In a message dated 11/7/04 10:53:28 PM, pray59@... writes:

              > I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
              > works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
              > don't weather much at all.

              I use Blacken-It and love it. I use it for all off my catenary wires. I found
              that the wires in my case need cleaned prior to using the Blacken-It. I soak
              the wires in alcohol then dry on a paper towel. I am careful not to touch the
              wires after they have been cleaned since oil will repel the Blacken-It. I then
              soak the wire in the Blacken-It for about a minute. If you go to long, the
              metal will go from black to a rust brown. I have tried brushing on the
              Blacken-it, but the result was not so good. Dipping is the way to go.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin, OH 43016
              www.ztrack.com

            • Tor-J.Moskaug
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 13 3:55 PM
                Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                the convention from Norway.
                Take a look at
                http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                for some off my creations.

                Regard
                www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

              • JohnL
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 13 6:37 PM
                  Some of us would be happy if you bring just yourself so we can meet you in person. In addition to your modeling skills, my father was born in Molde, so I am interested in meeting folks from Norge.

                  John

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tor-J.Moskaug" <tjm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                  > the convention from Norway.
                  > Take a look at
                  > http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                  > for some off my creations.
                  >
                  > Regard
                  > www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                • sj_baz_man
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 17 5:43 PM
                    Nice website Torsja. Bring what you want but don't get too carried away. You can always take orders :)

                    Just get here and have fun !

                    Jeff
                    SF Bay Area Z