RE: [Z_Scale] Re: RRampMeter and Fast Tracks

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
      Robert

      Let me know when I can send you 4 photos -- about 4.5 Mg. Your site
      refused my e-mails to you due to being full.

      ....don
      d.f.avila at att.net
      Akron, Ohio - USA

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
        Robert:

        Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
        morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
        first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:

        > "zbarr474" wrote:
        > Fast Tracks solution
        > > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
        > > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
        > > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
        > >
        > > ....don
        >
        > Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
        > first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
        > modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
        > their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
        > solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
        > Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
        > by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
        > wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.
        >
        > Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
        > http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm
        >
        > I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
        > solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.
        >

        > Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
        > my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
        > round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
        > modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
        > yard module.
        >
        > -Robert
      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
          zbarr474" wrote:
          > Robert:
          >
          > Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
          > morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
          > first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.
          >
          > ...don

          I received the photo's in my mail this morning. I will post them on
          my page after work tonight so everyone can see the modifications that
          Tim of Fast Tracks had done to solve our Z Scale jigs problem. Thanks
          for sharing Don!

          -Robert
        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
            Can anybody steer me to a good deal on about 200 feet of Micro
            Engineering code 40 rails. I would prefer the pre weathered style.
            Thanks in Advance
            Ed Scullin

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Robert Ray
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
              Hi Ed, I'm still working out the details of laser cut ties, and I got
              the cost down with 1/32" basswood but...

              Try to avoid the pre-weathered track if you can. I bought some, and
              had nothing but trouble soldering it to PC ties. It really looks
              great, but is a hassle to sand away the weathering where you are going
              to solder to pc ties. It requires extra heat, and at about every 3 or
              4 ties, the copper clad lifts off the pc tie from the heat.

              I switched to unweathered rail, and it is so much better to solder. (I
              use a pc tie every inch) I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
              works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
              don't weather much at all.

              I am on my third attempt at weathered rail, this time by painting it
              with Floquil Roof Brown (rail brown looks too light to me) then wiping
              the tops of the rail with a paper towel wet with Dio-Sol thiner. Later
              a bright boy to seal the deal. So far this is my favorite method to
              weather rail.

              -Robert

            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
                In a message dated 11/7/04 10:53:28 PM, pray59@... writes:

                > I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
                > works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
                > don't weather much at all.

                I use Blacken-It and love it. I use it for all off my catenary wires. I found
                that the wires in my case need cleaned prior to using the Blacken-It. I soak
                the wires in alcohol then dry on a paper towel. I am careful not to touch the
                wires after they have been cleaned since oil will repel the Blacken-It. I then
                soak the wire in the Blacken-It for about a minute. If you go to long, the
                metal will go from black to a rust brown. I have tried brushing on the
                Blacken-it, but the result was not so good. Dipping is the way to go.

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine
                6142 Northcliff Blvd
                Dublin, OH 43016
                www.ztrack.com

              • Tor-J.Moskaug
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                  Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                  the convention from Norway.
                  Take a look at
                  http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                  for some off my creations.

                  Regard
                  www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                • JohnL
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                    Some of us would be happy if you bring just yourself so we can meet you in person. In addition to your modeling skills, my father was born in Molde, so I am interested in meeting folks from Norge.

                    John

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tor-J.Moskaug" <tjm@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                    > the convention from Norway.
                    > Take a look at
                    > http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                    > for some off my creations.
                    >
                    > Regard
                    > www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                  • sj_baz_man
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
                      Nice website Torsja. Bring what you want but don't get too carried away. You can always take orders :)

                      Just get here and have fun !

                      Jeff
                      SF Bay Area Z