Re: RRampMeter and Fast Tracks

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      "zbarr474" wrote:
      Fast Tracks solution
      > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
      > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
      > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
      >
      > ....don

      Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
      first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
      modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
      their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
      solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
      Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
      by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
      wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.

      Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
      http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm

      I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
      solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.

      Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
      my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
      round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
      modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
      yard module.

      -Robert
    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        What I'll do is send you a photo 'off thread' to you tomorrow. Possibly
        you can then post it on your site so anyone can take a peek. Don't have
        time tonight.

        Don Avila
        d.f.avila at att.net
        Akron, Ohio - USA

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
          Robert

          Let me know when I can send you 4 photos -- about 4.5 Mg. Your site
          refused my e-mails to you due to being full.

          ....don
          d.f.avila at att.net
          Akron, Ohio - USA

          > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
          > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
          > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
          >
          > ....don

          Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
          first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
          modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
          their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
          solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
          Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
          by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
          wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.

          Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
          http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm

          I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
          solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.

          Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
          my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
          round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
          modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
          yard module.

          -Robert

        • zbarr474
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
            Robert:

            Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
            morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
            first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:

            > "zbarr474" wrote:
            > Fast Tracks solution
            > > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
            > > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
            > > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
            > >
            > > ....don
            >
            > Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
            > first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
            > modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
            > their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
            > solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
            > Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
            > by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
            > wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.
            >
            > Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
            > http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm
            >
            > I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
            > solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.
            >

            > Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
            > my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
            > round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
            > modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
            > yard module.
            >
            > -Robert
          • Robert Ray
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
              zbarr474" wrote:
              > Robert:
              >
              > Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
              > morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
              > first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.
              >
              > ...don

              I received the photo's in my mail this morning. I will post them on
              my page after work tonight so everyone can see the modifications that
              Tim of Fast Tracks had done to solve our Z Scale jigs problem. Thanks
              for sharing Don!

              -Robert
            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
                Can anybody steer me to a good deal on about 200 feet of Micro
                Engineering code 40 rails. I would prefer the pre weathered style.
                Thanks in Advance
                Ed Scullin

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Robert Ray
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
                  Hi Ed, I'm still working out the details of laser cut ties, and I got
                  the cost down with 1/32" basswood but...

                  Try to avoid the pre-weathered track if you can. I bought some, and
                  had nothing but trouble soldering it to PC ties. It really looks
                  great, but is a hassle to sand away the weathering where you are going
                  to solder to pc ties. It requires extra heat, and at about every 3 or
                  4 ties, the copper clad lifts off the pc tie from the heat.

                  I switched to unweathered rail, and it is so much better to solder. (I
                  use a pc tie every inch) I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
                  works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
                  don't weather much at all.

                  I am on my third attempt at weathered rail, this time by painting it
                  with Floquil Roof Brown (rail brown looks too light to me) then wiping
                  the tops of the rail with a paper towel wet with Dio-Sol thiner. Later
                  a bright boy to seal the deal. So far this is my favorite method to
                  weather rail.

                  -Robert

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/7/04 10:53:28 PM, pray59@... writes:

                    > I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
                    > works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
                    > don't weather much at all.

                    I use Blacken-It and love it. I use it for all off my catenary wires. I found
                    that the wires in my case need cleaned prior to using the Blacken-It. I soak
                    the wires in alcohol then dry on a paper towel. I am careful not to touch the
                    wires after they have been cleaned since oil will repel the Blacken-It. I then
                    soak the wire in the Blacken-It for about a minute. If you go to long, the
                    metal will go from black to a rust brown. I have tried brushing on the
                    Blacken-it, but the result was not so good. Dipping is the way to go.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • Tor-J.Moskaug
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                      Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                      the convention from Norway.
                      Take a look at
                      http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                      for some off my creations.

                      Regard
                      www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                    • JohnL
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                        Some of us would be happy if you bring just yourself so we can meet you in person. In addition to your modeling skills, my father was born in Molde, so I am interested in meeting folks from Norge.

                        John

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tor-J.Moskaug" <tjm@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                        > the convention from Norway.
                        > Take a look at
                        > http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                        > for some off my creations.
                        >
                        > Regard
                        > www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                      • sj_baz_man
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
                          Nice website Torsja. Bring what you want but don't get too carried away. You can always take orders :)

                          Just get here and have fun !

                          Jeff
                          SF Bay Area Z