RRampMeter and Fast Tracks

  • zbarr474
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      1 Ordered a RRampMeter a few weeks ago. This is a Voltage & Amp
      Meter for DCC. When I got it, there seemed to be a problem. Called
      them and explained the situation. They asked me to send it back and
      offered to send me one more siuited to Z. Further they creditied my
      credit card for the difference for the one better suited for Z than
      the one I originally had.

      2. Fast Tracks. Ordered a jig for making track turnouts in Z. Had a
      terrible time soldering which seemed to be a function of the jig size
      and the small PC-ties used in Z. Sent an E-mail to Tim Warris of Fast
      Tracks with a suggested possible solution and asked what he would
      charge to make the modification. He asked me to send it back and made
      the change "No Charge" and tonight on a quick check of soldering the
      problem is solved. As an aside, someone else from the N scale group
      had the same problem also in Z and posted pictures in the N Group of
      the solution he had come up with the same day I returned the jig to
      Canada. I e-mailed those photos to Fast Tracks. Fast Tracks solution
      is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
      Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
      returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.

      ....don
    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        "zbarr474" wrote:
        Fast Tracks solution
        > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
        > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
        > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
        >
        > ....don

        Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
        first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
        modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
        their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
        solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
        Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
        by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
        wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.

        Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
        http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm

        I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
        solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.

        Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
        my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
        round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
        modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
        yard module.

        -Robert
      • Don
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          What I'll do is send you a photo 'off thread' to you tomorrow. Possibly
          you can then post it on your site so anyone can take a peek. Don't have
          time tonight.

          Don Avila
          d.f.avila at att.net
          Akron, Ohio - USA

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
            Robert

            Let me know when I can send you 4 photos -- about 4.5 Mg. Your site
            refused my e-mails to you due to being full.

            ....don
            d.f.avila at att.net
            Akron, Ohio - USA

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
              Robert:

              Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
              morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
              first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.

              ...don

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:

              > "zbarr474" wrote:
              > Fast Tracks solution
              > > is more elegant and neater, although either way solves the problem.
              > > Fast Tracks made the modification the same day they received my
              > > returned jig, and as I say at No Charge.
              > >
              > > ....don
              >
              > Hi Don, That was my post of the Fast Tracks jig problem I had. When I
              > first mentioned the issue in a post to the Nn3 group, (the Nn3
              > modelers are almost all scratchbuilders and craftsmen by the nature of
              > their scale) some members kept suggesting I did not know how to
              > solder, even though I have 30+ years soldering experience and Western
              > Electric Rule certification. The problem was soldering the .041" wide
              > by .031" thick ties sitting in a .050" deep trench without the .031"
              > wide soldering iron tip from touching the aluminum jig.
              >
              > Here is the link to the page with my solution for those interested:
              > http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm
              >
              > I am really interested in seeing a photo of what Tim came up with to
              > solve the problem. I hope you can post a photo.
              >

              > Tim had offered to modify my jigs also, but I had waited 4 weeks for
              > my initial order, so I did not want to chance waiting even longer for
              > round trip repair. Our group has a deadline of November 28 to have our
              > modules ready, and I still have 10 more turnouts left to make for my
              > yard module.
              >
              > -Robert
            • Robert Ray
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                zbarr474" wrote:
                > Robert:
                >
                > Did you get the Fast Tracks modified jig photos I sent you this
                > morning directly to your E-mail. I tried a couple of times as the
                > first set got entangled in a YAHOO Loop.
                >
                > ...don

                I received the photo's in my mail this morning. I will post them on
                my page after work tonight so everyone can see the modifications that
                Tim of Fast Tracks had done to solve our Z Scale jigs problem. Thanks
                for sharing Don!

                -Robert
              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
                  Can anybody steer me to a good deal on about 200 feet of Micro
                  Engineering code 40 rails. I would prefer the pre weathered style.
                  Thanks in Advance
                  Ed Scullin

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Robert Ray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
                    Hi Ed, I'm still working out the details of laser cut ties, and I got
                    the cost down with 1/32" basswood but...

                    Try to avoid the pre-weathered track if you can. I bought some, and
                    had nothing but trouble soldering it to PC ties. It really looks
                    great, but is a hassle to sand away the weathering where you are going
                    to solder to pc ties. It requires extra heat, and at about every 3 or
                    4 ties, the copper clad lifts off the pc tie from the heat.

                    I switched to unweathered rail, and it is so much better to solder. (I
                    use a pc tie every inch) I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
                    works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
                    don't weather much at all.

                    I am on my third attempt at weathered rail, this time by painting it
                    with Floquil Roof Brown (rail brown looks too light to me) then wiping
                    the tops of the rail with a paper towel wet with Dio-Sol thiner. Later
                    a bright boy to seal the deal. So far this is my favorite method to
                    weather rail.

                    -Robert

                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
                      In a message dated 11/7/04 10:53:28 PM, pray59@... writes:

                      > I also tried that Blacken-It stuff, and it
                      > works kind of spotty. Some rail blackens nice and other stretches
                      > don't weather much at all.

                      I use Blacken-It and love it. I use it for all off my catenary wires. I found
                      that the wires in my case need cleaned prior to using the Blacken-It. I soak
                      the wires in alcohol then dry on a paper towel. I am careful not to touch the
                      wires after they have been cleaned since oil will repel the Blacken-It. I then
                      soak the wire in the Blacken-It for about a minute. If you go to long, the
                      metal will go from black to a rust brown. I have tried brushing on the
                      Blacken-it, but the result was not so good. Dipping is the way to go.

                      Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      Dublin, OH 43016
                      www.ztrack.com

                    • Tor-J.Moskaug
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                        Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                        the convention from Norway.
                        Take a look at
                        http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                        for some off my creations.

                        Regard
                        www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                      • JohnL
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                          Some of us would be happy if you bring just yourself so we can meet you in person. In addition to your modeling skills, my father was born in Molde, so I am interested in meeting folks from Norge.

                          John

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tor-J.Moskaug" <tjm@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, is there anything that I should bring to you when I visit you all on
                          > the convention from Norway.
                          > Take a look at
                          > http://www.torsja.com/modelltog/Models_by_Torsja/Modells_by_Torsja.asp
                          > for some off my creations.
                          >
                          > Regard
                          > www.Torsja.com <http://www.torsja.com/>

                        • sj_baz_man
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
                            Nice website Torsja. Bring what you want but don't get too carried away. You can always take orders :)

                            Just get here and have fun !

                            Jeff
                            SF Bay Area Z