Re: Laser cut ties

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@y...> wrote:
      > Robert you once mentioned on this list that you had made some ties
      > for use with hand laying code 40 rail.
      > I have just ordered my fast track jigs for # 4 and 9. They
      > advertise some Nn3 wood ties, but yours sounded like a better way to
      > go.
      > Are they available? If so do I get them through you or Feather River
      > trains?
      > Ed Scullin

      Hi Ed, Here is the results of feasibility study of offering laser cut
      tie strips:
      Yesterday I cut enough tie strips for 6 feet of track, and it took
      over 18 minutes to cut them. I have decided that it would be too
      expensive to laser cut tie strips for sale, as my cost of ownership is
      around $1 a minute of laser time, and even though the 1/32" plywood
      cost is only 50 cents for that many ties, my cost is about $3.10 a foot.
      That was with 1/32" aircraft grade plywood.

      A few minutes ago I decided to see how it would work with 1/32"
      basswood. (basswood is not as dimentionaly stable as plywood) I cut a
      sheet with 64" worth of tie strips in 7.5 minutes. The wood cost 40
      cents for the amount used, and that works out to a cost of 83 cents a
      foot with basswood tie strips. The catch is that the basswood tie
      strips break into individual ties real easy. If The tie strips (8 ties
      attached together in a manner similar to flextrack ties) break apart
      that easily, would it be worth the trouble to use them over regular
      individual ties? Maybe. Maybe not?

      If I laser cut individual ties, I could probably get the cost down to
      50 cents a foot, maybe less, but would that be ompetitive with regular
      sawn ties? Are they even available?

      Let me know what you think, and I am always willing to trade at my
      cost for North American Z Scale models of any manufacture or
      scratchbuild. I prefer trade to selling any day. Better deal for you
      and me.

      -Robert
    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        Robert
        I have no idea as to how many ties you got in the experiment with the
        bass wood, but Fast Tracks gets $10.00 for 500 Nn3 ties.
        I would have no problem going 50% higher than that for ties that are
        accurate for Z.
        I have nothing to trade, but If you go through Feather River would
        that work out for you as a trade?
        Maybe you should talk to Fast tracks and you could end up with one of
        each of their jigs :-}
        I'm in no hurry for them as I have a 4 week delay before I get my
        jigs.
        Ed Scullin

        http://mail.yahoo.com