Are there any fellow female Z scale enthusiasts?

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
      Hi,

      Z-Friends Europe recommended your group, I've been interested in Z
      scale for many years since seeing the adverts with the walnut and
      the matchbox admiring the intricate precision engineering as well as
      the cuteness of the scale.

      Only in 2002 did I start collecting and building kits. I also
      scratch/kitbuild in N scale and O scale plus a little in OO / HO.
      Interested in all aspects of modelmaking including electronics.

      Most Z scale websites and literature I've found so far is German
      text so its even more challenging a scale to understand.

      I'm interested to know if there are any fellow female Z scale
      enthusiasts around the world particularly in the UK and Europe?

      Thanks

      Melissa
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
        Hello Melissa,

        welcome here too :-)

        and no, sorry but I'm not female :-)

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
          Hello Melissa,

          I'm Laura, from Milan, Italy, and I do like modelling in z scale with
          my partner Mauro.
          Probably you have read the past messages about our modular layout we
          presented at the end of September during a train show.

          Mauro is the technician (general design, track laying,
          electric/electronic supervisor...), while I am the art director,
          taking care of all the scenery.

          Please visit our album "Mauro and Laura / Modell Hobby Expo 2004" and
          you will see my trees, weathered structures and tracks, which I have
          also ballasted (thanks to Jeffrey MacHan's shared tricks!!!).

          Ciao,
          Laura

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <melissa.cull@m...> wrote:

          > > I'm interested to know if there are any fellow female Z scale
          > enthusiasts around the world particularly in the UK and Europe?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Melissa
        • Melissa Cull
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hello Laura,

            Thank you for responding, I've been into modelmaking since I was a child but
            have found very few fellow female modellers to correspond with. I find it a
            very relaxing hobby. I haven't yet seen the messages on your modular layout
            but will take a look.

            I am just venturing into Z scale having built half of the building kits I
            have been collecting since 2002. I like all aspects of modelmaking
            including electronics, not too good at woodwork though.

            I enjoy doing scenery and trees too. How do you make yours? I use copper
            wire, branched out in ever decreasing sizes soldered for strength then
            painted in a coating of coloured filler and decorated with Woodland Scenics
            tree foliage.

            I am planning a briefcase and coffee table or picture frame layout Bavarian
            mountain outline, I also like the USA models too.

            Kind regards

            Melissa

            I'm Laura, from Milan, Italy, and I do like modelling in z scale with
            my partner Mauro.
            Probably you have read the past messages about our modular layout we
            presented at the end of September during a train show.

            Mauro is the technician (general design, track laying,
            electric/electronic supervisor...), while I am the art director,
            taking care of all the scenery.

            Please visit our album "Mauro and Laura / Modell Hobby Expo 2004" and
            you will see my trees, weathered structures and tracks, which I have
            also ballasted (thanks to Jeffrey MacHan's shared tricks!!!).

            Ciao,
            Laura

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <melissa.cull@m...> wrote:

            > > I'm interested to know if there are any fellow female Z scale
            > enthusiasts around the world particularly in the UK and Europe?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Melissa

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Anke
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
              Hi Melissa!

              Yes there are some female Z scalers around. I am one of them. I live
              in New York City, but it is very likely that I will go back to Germany
              next year. I am working on a small USA layout right now, but I also
              intend to have a German layout. Both set in the transition aera,
              because I like steam and diesels. I have quite a collection and do
              some kit building, when I get a quiet minute.

              Enjoy the hobby,

              Anke
            • Melissa Cull
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                Hi Anke,

                Thank you for responding. Nice to know I'm not the only female modelmaker
                liking Z scale.

                I have mainly steam but also a couple of diesels. My favourite diesel is the
                Rail Zeppelin but have yet to find one.

                Definately enjoying Z scale more than other scales I worked. Just having
                difficulty finding information in English as I'm hopeless with understanding
                German language.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Hi Melissa,

                  for English information you have come to the right place. Check out
                  the link section, you will find a lot of useful tips.
                  Do you already know about the Ztrack magazine? It is a great source of
                  Z information in English and it covers USA and German/European
                  railroads. You should talk to Rob Kluz, he is also a member of this forum.

                  So long,

                  Anke
                • zbarr474
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Melissa:

                    <<<IF>>> you are using something like Internet Explorer or
                    Firefox/Mosilla for your browser, then you can add the Google
                    Toolbar or if you use FireFox an you can add an add-in translator.
                    The Firefox seems better even though it uses the Google engine, but
                    in Firefox you can translate a half-dozen languages into English and
                    on the fly. Google is a little more restrictive on the fly,
                    although you can pre-plan for many foreign languages. If you find a
                    page in German, and ask the add-in to return the info in English, on
                    a fast system, the translation for an Internet "page" is in the
                    order of 15 seconds or less. The English will NOT be "A" quality,
                    but it will be VERY readable. The only place it does NOT seem to
                    work if the page is in Adobe PDA format -- although I think that is
                    a solvable problem

                    ...don

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@m...>

                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Melissa,

                      Hello and welcome to Z scale! You can find more information about Ztrack on
                      our web site; www.ztrack.com. I would be glad to send you a sample issue if you
                      are interested. We have quite a few subscribers in the UK. This number is
                      growing as well.

                      Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      Dublin, OH 43016
                      www.ztrack.com
                      phone/fax (614) 764-1703

                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 6, 2004
                        Hi Anke,

                        Thank you for the tips, the encyclopedia section is really helpful. Yes
                        I've come across Z-track magazine and have now been in contact with Rob
                        Kluz.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 6, 2004
                          Hi Don,

                          Thank you I'd been using Bablefish and a dictionary to translate.