F-7 headlight bulb

  • Kari Sarmanne
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
      I wanted to look at the small light bulb in the F-7, but
      I failed trying to put it back. Then I replaced it with
      a little bigger one, because I have no original spare
      bulbs. The original was 2 mm bulb, the new 3 mm bulb
      6 V 60 mA. It just could be fitted into the bulb holder.
      Now the headlight gives much brighter light than the
      original (I think it was 10 V).

      Will there be any harm to F-7 using this new bulb?

      The same I have made with some of Marklin's locomotives.
      Original bulbs are 10 V and my replacement bulbs are 6 V.
      The headlight is much brighter when running the trains
      slowly (maybe 3 - 4 V only).

      Has anyone installed LEDs for headlight into F-7?

      Kari
    • kimvellore
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
        Kari,
        A couple of things could happen, you could burnout the bulb if
        you exceed the voltage and if the light looks bright then it is also
        generating more heat which could discolor or deform the plastic shell
        after long runs.

        Kim

      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
          Kari,
          Good idea but be careful. I like that you are going to have a
          brighter bulb, in your F7, but as Kim said... Be Very Careful with
          the Heat! If it gets too hot you will melt your shell or cause your
          paint to soften up. The brighter light will be nice if you have the
          self control to keep the voltage down (a lot of people out there
          have heavy thumbs).

          The LED idea would be nice but there is not much room in there for
          the LED and resistor. I normally try to cram White LED's into
          everything I own but have not had the time. They have recently
          released some very tiny Surface Mount White LED's which will be
          small enough and still have room for the proper resistor. I hope to
          find time this winter to order some of the new LED's but not at this
          point.

          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kari Sarmanne" <kaikari@l...> wrote:

          > <snip>...the new 3 mm bulb 6 V 60 mA.
          > Now the headlight gives much brighter light than the
          > original (I think it was 10 V).
          > Will there be any harm to F-7 using this new bulb?

          > Has anyone installed LEDs for headlight into F-7?

          > Kari
        • Vincent Goudreault
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
            Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:32:50 -0000
            From: "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthonywarburton@...>
            Subject: Re: F-7 headlight bulb

[...]

            Actually, that's one of the thing that I never really understood. Since
            most, if not all,
            LED applications will require a resistor, usually of a fixed known value,
            why doesn't a
            manufacturer somewhere produce a LED that includes the resistor in with the
            diode
            micro component? These days, technology can cram hundred of transistors in
            the width
            of a needle; why couldn't anyone etch a resistor along with the LED itself,
            as a unique
            component?

            CBVG
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
              --- Kari Sarmanne <kaikari@...> a écrit :

              > I wanted to look at the small light bulb in the F-7,
              > but
              > I failed trying to put it back. Then I replaced it
              > with
              > a little bigger one, because I have no original
              > spare
              > bulbs. The original was 2 mm bulb, the new 3 mm bulb
              >
              > 6 V 60 mA.

              Hi Kari, how are you today? Which F7 are you speaking
              about? MTL's or Marklin's?
              Best,
              Dominique

            • Kari Sarmanne
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                > Hi Kari, how are you today? Which F7 are you speaking
                > about? MTL's or Marklin's?
                > Best,
                > Dominique

                Hi Dominique,
                I am all right. I meant MTL F7. I have not yet tested this F7 any
                longer period with this 6 V bulb. So I cannot tell yet if there is
                any overheating. I can try also with 8 V bulb.
                I have used these 6 V bulbs (instead of the original 10 V bulb) in
                some Marklin steam locomotives. The head light is very bright. And I
                have not noticed any overheating, maybe because these locomotives
                have metal shells. I never run my trains with full speed ( 10 V ).
                3 - 5 V is enough for a nice run, but then 10 V bulb gives very dim
                light.

                Regards,
                Kari
              • Bill Powers
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                  All right I give up. Where do you get six and eight volt bulbs for our locos? Thanks
                  > Hi Kari, how are you today? Which F7 are you speaking
                  > about? MTL's or Marklin's?
                  > Best,
                  > Dominique

                  Hi Dominique,
                  I am all right. I meant MTL F7. I have not yet tested this F7 any
                  longer period with this 6 V bulb. So I cannot tell yet if there is
                  any overheating. I can try also with 8 V bulb.
                  I have used these 6 V bulbs (instead of the original 10 V bulb) in
                  some Marklin steam locomotives. The head light is very bright. And I
                  have not noticed any overheating, maybe because these locomotives
                  have metal shells. I never run my trains with full speed ( 10 V ).
                  3 - 5 V is enough for a nice run, but then 10 V bulb gives very dim
                  light.

                  Regards,
                  Kari

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Get unlimited calls to

                  U.S./Canada

                • Kari Sarmanne
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Powers" <wjpo@c...> wrote:
                    > All right I give up. Where do you get six and eight volt bulbs for
                    our locos? Thanks

                    Bill,
                    I get them from a local electronics store in Finland (like Radio
                    Shack in the US). They are the smallest bulbs I can find here,
                    but the diameter is 3 mm. The original spare bulbs have 2 mm diameter.
                    I have looked in Walters catalogue and in Internet, but it really is
                    very hard to find any suitable bulbs. You can find very tiny bulbs,
                    but usually they are 1.5 V or 16 V.
                    Original MTL F7 spare bulbs are not available in Finland, so I just
                    wanted to see if I could quickly find some other solution.
                    Regards,
                    Kari