Re:newbie oldie (long)

  • Pattie Brixen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hi All!
      I am one of the original Marklin z gauge owners from the 70's. Due to a theft, most of my collection walked out during the early 80's and since my train time had become limited then due to other factors, I never quite got round to restarting...well, all that has once again changed and I am actively re pushing my dream.
      I grew up on Lionel standard gauge and was allowed to tinker with and run my dad's layout. I always said "when I grow up, I am going to have...." but with hobbies such as being a SCUBA dive master and traveling and living my wild and woolly youth, the train went low on the priority list. Z gauge fit perfectly into my life and now will do so again some 20 years later!!
      My DH is also a train buff and we will hop the Capitol express or the Cal Train commuter just to spend a few hours on a train! We have traveled most of the main Amtrak routes over our 24 year marriage, but due to my spine problems, travel to other countries is impossible. He is thinking of getting involved with garden railway, but living where we we do in San Francisco, gardens are too small here. Maybe when we buy our dream retirement house...we also have 9 cats, a large dog, 4 parrots and numerous other small things that find their way home with me from the veterinary E.R.
      So, moms' train will stay hidden from sight...they already chase the N gauge so there is no hope that if they got hold of a piece of z rolling stock, I would never see it again!
      Sorry this ran so long. Looking forward to meeting you all and hearing all about your layouts!
      Pattie in chilly San Francisco
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2001
        Hi Pattie,

        First let me say that you don't know the meaning of long ;-)

        I really enjoyed your intro. BTW you have been officially immortalized in the 'WhoAreWe' folder of the 'Files' link. You seem to have answered a question I asked hypothetically recently about why Z scalers are such nice people. The answer that seems to be immerging is that they have so many other passtimes, hobbies, life experiences, jobs, etc. Z is only part of a rich fabric of interests that our members explore.

        It's good to have you aboard, Pattie.

        Cheers from sunny snow covered Toronto,
        Jeffrey MacHan