Re: Roads and Cookie-cutter foam

  • Dave Ferrari
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hello everyone, Happy New Year!

      I'm a little behind in my reading but I hope these comments are helpful.

      >>From: "D. A. Karp" <z@...>
      >>Subject: Re: Road width question
      >>Has anyone found a material that looks good for roads?

      I use 1 inch width for regular roads. It looks right. I go wider for
      parking on the side, usually I'll put cars out to size them.

      For material I have used felt. The best is the stuff used to paint backdrops
      on in the theatre because it is more dense and less "fuzzy" prone. Dark grey
      or black look good. I work the dust left over from ballast into the felt to
      dull it and make it look weathered. I have done this in N but not Z yet. You
      can draw cracks and oil spills in first with a fine tip marker too. Lines
      are trickey. I glue the felt down with white glue, almost saturating it.
      Then I add a tape line and rub in the ballast dust (chalk dust might work
      too) before it dries.

      >> From: Dale Halterman <dnhalt@...>
      >> Subject: Re: Elevated track work
      >> I have been wondering about using one-half inch insulation board with the
      old
      cookie-cutter procedure that has been used with plywood for years. Any
      thoughts on this?

      I used the cookie-cutter approach with 1 inch extruded foam but suggest 1/2
      inch. Follow Jeffrey's method for risers. I did use an angled ramp for a
      grade. I just measured rise over run and cut at an agle for the straight
      section. It works and is easy for the straights.

      Happy railroading!
      Dave Ferrari
      Web Master
      http://www.American-Z.com