My Fast Tracks Jigs Modified for Z!

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
      A couple weeks ago, I posted of problems I had soldering the rails to
      the ties on my jigs. Several members of the Nn3 list had offered to help
      me modify them. Well, one of the members of the Nn3 list
      lives nearby so I took him up on his offer.

      Success! Tonight, I started using the modified jigs, and they make the
      project so much easier.

      For those interested in what was done, I posted a page with the
      details here:

      http://raybob.boche.net/projects/page917.htm

      -Robert
    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        Robert you once mentioned on this list that you had made some ties
        for use with hand laying code 40 rail.
        I have just ordered my fast track jigs for # 4 and 9. They
        advertise some Nn3 wood ties, but yours sounded like a better way to
        go.
        Are they available? If so do I get them through you or Feather River
        trains?
        I need enough for 200 Ft of track to start.
        Ed Scullin

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@y...> wrote:
          > Robert you once mentioned on this list that you had made some ties
          > for use with hand laying code 40 rail.
          > I have just ordered my fast track jigs for # 4 and 9. They
          > advertise some Nn3 wood ties, but yours sounded like a better way to
          > go.
          > Are they available? If so do I get them through you or Feather River
          > trains?
          > Ed Scullin

          Hi Ed, Here is the results of feasibility study of offering laser cut
          tie strips:
          Yesterday I cut enough tie strips for 6 feet of track, and it took
          over 18 minutes to cut them. I have decided that it would be too
          expensive to laser cut tie strips for sale, as my cost of ownership is
          around $1 a minute of laser time, and even though the 1/32" plywood
          cost is only 50 cents for that many ties, my cost is about $3.10 a foot.
          That was with 1/32" aircraft grade plywood.

          A few minutes ago I decided to see how it would work with 1/32"
          basswood. (basswood is not as dimentionaly stable as plywood) I cut a
          sheet with 64" worth of tie strips in 7.5 minutes. The wood cost 40
          cents for the amount used, and that works out to a cost of 83 cents a
          foot with basswood tie strips. The catch is that the basswood tie
          strips break into individual ties real easy. If The tie strips (8 ties
          attached together in a manner similar to flextrack ties) break apart
          that easily, would it be worth the trouble to use them over regular
          individual ties? Maybe. Maybe not?

          If I laser cut individual ties, I could probably get the cost down to
          50 cents a foot, maybe less, but would that be ompetitive with regular
          sawn ties? Are they even available?

          Let me know what you think, and I am always willing to trade at my
          cost for North American Z Scale models of any manufacture or
          scratchbuild. I prefer trade to selling any day. Better deal for you
          and me.

          -Robert
        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
            Robert
            I have no idea as to how many ties you got in the experiment with the
            bass wood, but Fast Tracks gets $10.00 for 500 Nn3 ties.
            I would have no problem going 50% higher than that for ties that are
            accurate for Z.
            I have nothing to trade, but If you go through Feather River would
            that work out for you as a trade?
            Maybe you should talk to Fast tracks and you could end up with one of
            each of their jigs :-}
            I'm in no hurry for them as I have a 4 week delay before I get my
            jigs.
            Ed Scullin

            http://mail.yahoo.com