Re: [z_scale] automatic reversing

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hi Ronald,

      I once built a single mainline layout in N that had an automatic reversing
      loop on each end. I used Circuitron DT-4 with 4 optical sensors, the AR-2
      autoreverse unit and the CD capacitor discharge unit to power the switch
      machines. It worked great. The components that I have will do the job
      for you but will not slow-stop-reverse-start-accelerate the train as you
      might like.
      The trains did not slow down or stop but ran continuously.

      If this is the kind of setup that you are interested in, let me know 'cuz I
      still have all of the electronics in excellent condition. They are looking
      for a good home.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan

      >From: Ronald Duschenchuk <ronpiano@...>
      >To: z_scale@egroups.com
      >Subject: [z_scale] automatic reversing
      >Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:16:15 -0500
      >
      >I am just starting to get involved in model railroading especially in
      >z. I would like to start by building a simple point to point shelf
      >layout that could also be used as a testing track for the engines in
      >my collection. I would like to have continuous operation back and
      >forth. This means that there would have to be some kind of detection
      >device at each end of the track that would reverse the polarity to
      >cause the engine to reverse direction. I would appreciate any help in
      >regards to electrical components needed and any sites I could access
      >that would help me in finding these components.
      >
      >If any members of this group have built such a layout with automatic
      >reversing, please e-mail me or respond to this group.
      >
      >Ron Duschenchuk

    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
        At 1/2/01 07:06 PM, you wrote:
        >Hi Ronald,
        >
        >I once built a single mainline layout in N that had an automatic reversing
        >loop on each end. I used Circuitron DT-4 with 4 optical sensors, the AR-2
        >autoreverse unit and the CD capacitor discharge unit to power the switch
        >machines. It worked great. The components that I have will do the job
        >for you but will not slow-stop-reverse-start-accelerate the train as you
        >might like.
        >The trains did not slow down or stop but ran continuously.

        This is the setup I use on my N scale layout, but I use only two sensors.
        I placed them just before the exits to the two reversing loops, and triggering
        the sensor trips both turnouts and the relay that reverses the mainline
        polarity. I put the sensors as close to the exit points as I could so that
        when I run a train of three locos and 17 cars, I have less than 1/2 of a car
        length between the last truck clearing the turnout and the tripping of the
        turnouts. Make sure that your loop is long enough to hold the longest train
        you want to run.

        I've also noticed that if the train isn't run for a long time, the electronics
        aren't all that reliable for the first few minutes. The problem is the turnout
        firing circuit, which is basically a giant capacitor. It fires two Peco turnout
        machines. The turnout machines don't alway fire. The capacitor always
        discharges. I think the problem is in my turnout machines. But, after they
        warm up, they work like a Swiss watch.

        This is by far the easiest way to wire a pair of reversing loops and a
        reversing main line.

        >Cheers,
        >Jeffrey MacHan

        But, were I to do it over again, I wouldn't do the reversing loops.
        Instead, I'd
        lay a two-track mainline, and just put in loops to move the train from one
        track
        to the other--basically a really strecthed-out oval with the two long sides
        laid
        as a single mainline. Having a train running, and the mainline polarity
        reversing all the time play havoc with any switching maneuvers going on.

        Scott Whitmire
        whitmire@...
      • A H-Ellary
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
          hey guys

          how about going dcc then all that auto reversing is taken care of by either
          a booster or a power management module

          and yes you can get the decoders in z gauge :)

          A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

          now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
          > >I once built a single mainline layout in N that had an automatic
          reversing
          > >loop on each end. I used Circuitron DT-4 with 4 optical sensors, the
          AR-2
          > >autoreverse unit and the CD capacitor discharge unit to power the switch
          > >machines. It worked great. The components that I have will do the job
          > >for you but will not slow-stop-reverse-start-accelerate the train as you
          > >might like.
          > >The trains did not slow down or stop but ran continuously.
          >
          > This is the setup I use on my N scale layout, but I use only two sensors.
          > I placed them just before the exits to the two reversing loops, and
          triggering
          > the sensor trips both turnouts and the relay that reverses the mainline
          > polarity. I put the sensors as close to the exit points as I could so that
          > when I run a train of three locos and 17 cars, I have less than 1/2 of a
          car
          > length between the last truck clearing the turnout and the tripping of the
          > turnouts. Make sure that your loop is long enough to hold the longest
          train
          > you want to run.
          >
          > I've also noticed that if the train isn't run for a long time, the
          electronics
          > aren't all that reliable for the first few minutes. The problem is the
          turnout
          > firing circuit, which is basically a giant capacitor. It fires two Peco
          turnout
          > machines. The turnout machines don't alway fire. The capacitor always
          > discharges. I think the problem is in my turnout machines. But, after they
          > warm up, they work like a Swiss watch.
          >
          > This is by far the easiest way to wire a pair of reversing loops and a
          > reversing main line.
          >

          > >Cheers,
          > >Jeffrey MacHan
          >
          > But, were I to do it over again, I wouldn't do the reversing loops.
          > Instead, I'd
          > lay a two-track mainline, and just put in loops to move the train from one
          > track
          > to the other--basically a really strecthed-out oval with the two long
          sides
          > laid
          > as a single mainline. Having a train running, and the mainline polarity
          > reversing all the time play havoc with any switching maneuvers going on.
          >

          > Scott Whitmire
          > whitmire@...

        • Alex W
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
            > hey guys
            >
            > how about going dcc then all that auto reversing is taken care of by
            either
            > a booster or a power management module
            >
            > and yes you can get the decoders in z gauge :)
            >
            > A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

            Actually, I think that you can use the Digitrax PM-4 Power Management module
            even if you're not on DCC. It will detect a train passing into an
            incorrectly polarized segment of track and automatically reverse it so fast
            that you frequently can't even tell that it's done anything (unless you're
            watching the LEDs on the PM-4). I don't think that it will control your
            switches for you, though. So, either you need switches that will allow you
            to go the "wrong way" through them, or you'll need a trigger to activate the
            switches separately.

            - Alex W.

            "Trust in God.
            Believe in yourself.
            Dare to Dream."
          • ahellary@nccnet.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
              hi guys

              i did try a pm4 well 2 actualy and thay did have a delay unlike a
              booster so i went with a second booster

              i was not aware of the pm4 working on non dcc but there are other
              auto reverers like one from loys toys and another that i cant remeber

              ahelary