Re: [z_scale] Re: A Prozperous New Year to You All

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
      Dear Jeff,

      the remarks on Maerklin-bashing I made were misleading, I do agree. Please
      apologize, it was not ment to disturb you. It was the general spirit in this
      group on Maerklin I was commenting.

      Well, as you mentioned, obviously we all are influenced by our environment. You
      are living in the USA and you are a contributing writer of Ztrack. I am living
      in Germany and I am connected to the Club Revue team of the Z Club 92.

      If you are able to get hold of the 3/2000 edition of the Club Revue, you may see
      the merrits of the CR. There for example you find a step by step instruction
      (with pictures) to convert a 'normal' Z loco into a 'digital controlled' Z loco!
      Yes, the digital world has arrived Scale Z.
      I read from this article that also an F7 loco may go digital!

      Because I am collecting and running only US models (see CR 4/2000) I am also
      reading Ztrack with great interest. It is a very fine publication. It gives me
      great informations on the American Scale Z scenery!

      I will contact you on your lay out later.
      At the moment I try to complete my American-Texas lay out with moving oil well
      pumps (donkey heads). It has to be ready end of Feb to be shown at an exhibition
      beginning march.
      As you may understand I am a real missionary here in Germany: Scale Z a n d
      showing an American scenery! There was the GP 38 of Rogue on my lay out. 85 000
      visitors were at the exhibition. Only one visitor was asking on the whereabouts
      of this little gem!

      Regards

      Dieter

      Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
      > Hello Dieter,
      >
      > Good to hear from you. After reading your reply to my original
      > post, I must point out that I made no mention of Marklin at all. I
      > used the abbreviation MR for Model Railroader Magazine not for
      > Marklin. I have great respect for Marklin and have never done any
      > bashing at their expense. Their support for their invention is
      > remarkable considering the size of the market.
      >
      > Mea culpa! I did say that Ztrack is the best Z scale publication.
      > Now my North American bias is showing. I'm sure that the other
      > publications have many fine qualities. But I only write for one! I
      > will try to check out the Club Revue and share my opinion with
      > the group. Anybody got a copy that you can loan to me?
      >
      > You mentioned that there were 3 - 4 Z layouts among the 25
      > layouts on display in Cologne in 2000. That is a pretty good
      > average. I have exhibited at train shows since 1993 and my
      > layout was the only Z scale that I ever saw until I connected with
      > Terry Sutfin in 1998.
      >
      > There are several Z scalers in the US who take their layouts to
      > train shows. They are almost always the only Z to be seen at
      > these shows. We are like Z missionaries!
      >
      > In 1999 at the NTS1999 in St. Paul, MN, there was only 1 Z scale
      > layout. At the NTS2000 train show in San Jose, CA, last August,
      > there were 2 Z scale layouts among the exhibits. However, next
      > July, there will be 2 layouts and several dozen Z modules at the
      > NTS2001 in St. Louis, MI. Things are improving in North America
      > as you can see.
      >
      > In conclusion, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments...
      > "Having this in mind, we scale Z fans have to promote our idea at
      > every chance we see!!"
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jeffrey

    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hi Dieter,

        One comment concerning Marklin...the Z_Scale list appears to me to be very
        pro-Marklin. Marklin is doing a good job. We have some new US style sets
        in the stores, we have 5 pole motors in the new products and Marklin USA is
        sponsoring Z scale days.

        Now, if it happens to be on the subject of switches or turnouts, that is
        another matter! Yes, we do a lot of complaining about the state of Marklin
        turnouts. Then again we post solutions to their shortcomings for the
        benefit of our fellow runners. Life in Z scale ain't all that bad. Some
        members like to dream about getting better operating and looking switches.
        There are ways of doing it, as Dave and Bill have demonstrated.

        Our hope is that Marklin or another fearless manufacturer will hear our
        whining, ahem, suggestions and introduce an improved line of switches, even
        ones without switch motors that can be powered easily from under the
        layout....

        Actually, I don't live in the US. I live in Toronto where I can see the US
        on a clear day from my office window :-) I do write for Ztrack but then
        again, earlier today I sent an offer off to Nicola to send an article to CR.
        No answer yet but I'll let you know what he says.

        Dieter, I know that you are a Zealot for USA style railroading in Germany.
        Here in North America, the few of us who brave train shows with our layouts
        are Zealots for Z, period, European or American settings.

        By the way, the GP38s only impress the Z scalers here because they know what
        an accomplishment it was to produce a hood unit in Z. Modelers in other
        scales are blissfully ignorant of the challenges we face in our favourite
        scale. While we drool over one, now two hood units, the other scale
        modelers have dozens to choose from. C'est la vie!

        I look forward to seeing and perhaps reading about your Texas oil field
        layout. Good luck at the big train show.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
          Dear Jeff,

          living in Canada is not the worst thing in this world! I lived 2 years in
          Calgary, Alberta and enjoyed every day!

          On Maerklin turnouts: I do have the experiences that only the MTL F7 locos are
          tending to stop at Maerklin turnouts at slow speed and sit there grining at you.
          Maerklin F7s are managing the turnouts even at slow speed.
          Has somebody else this experiences?

          On switches with under the table motors: My English is not so good to detect
          irony. So I comment with some innocence. In Germany we have several persons or
          manufacturers providing a service to convert a 'normal' Maerklin switch into an
          under the table powered switch. Americans should be able to provide the same
          service, I mean. However, at least a switch motor would be needed, I do think in
          my humble mind :-).

          On articles proposed to Nicola: I am sure, Nicola will reply. But I know he took
          some days off.

          A description of my 'Texas Oil Field' layout you find in CR 4/2000.

          By the way, the CR of the 'Z Club 92' is printed in German. However you, as an
          American, get an English translation with it. I do hope, it is understandable.

          On US locos and cars in Germany: Yes, you are right: I am one of the Scale Z
          Zealots of American Modell Rail Roading in Germany.
          I look foreward to see the response on my C44-9W I will show on my layout at the
          next exhibition.

          Dear Jeff, I wish you a very prosperous year 2001

          and remain

          Yours

          Dieter

          Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
          > Hi Dieter,
          >
          > One comment concerning Marklin...the Z_Scale list appears to me to be very
          > pro-Marklin. Marklin is doing a good job. We have some new US style sets
          > in the stores, we have 5 pole motors in the new products and Marklin USA is
          > sponsoring Z scale days.
          >
          > Now, if it happens to be on the subject of switches or turnouts, that is
          > another matter! Yes, we do a lot of complaining about the state of Marklin
          > turnouts. Then again we post solutions to their shortcomings for the
          > benefit of our fellow runners. Life in Z scale ain't all that bad. Some
          > members like to dream about getting better operating and looking switches.
          > There are ways of doing it, as Dave and Bill have demonstrated.
          >
          > Our hope is that Marklin or another fearless manufacturer will hear our
          > whining, ahem, suggestions and introduce an improved line of switches, even
          > ones without switch motors that can be powered easily from under the
          > layout....
          >
          > Actually, I don't live in the US. I live in Toronto where I can see the US
          > on a clear day from my office window :-) I do write for Ztrack but then
          > again, earlier today I sent an offer off to Nicola to send an article to CR.
          > No answer yet but I'll let you know what he says.
          >
          > Dieter, I know that you are a Zealot for USA style railroading in Germany.
          > Here in North America, the few of us who brave train shows with our layouts
          > are Zealots for Z, period, European or American settings.
          >
          > By the way, the GP38s only impress the Z scalers here because they know what
          > an accomplishment it was to produce a hood unit in Z. Modelers in other
          > scales are blissfully ignorant of the challenges we face in our favourite
          > scale. While we drool over one, now two hood units, the other scale
          > modelers have dozens to choose from. C'est la vie!
          >
          > I look forward to seeing and perhaps reading about your Texas oil field
          > layout. Good luck at the big train show.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Jeffrey

        • Alex W
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
            > On Maerklin turnouts: I do have the experiences that only the MTL F7 locos
            are
            > tending to stop at Maerklin turnouts at slow speed and sit there grining
            at you.
            > Maerklin F7s are managing the turnouts even at slow speed.
            > Has somebody else this experiences?

            I saw this on an MTL F7 that I had. I found that only one of the trucks was
            picking up power (tried applying power to each truck individually, only one
            made the wheels turn). I opened up the loco and found that the little brass
            contacts were out of place and dirty on one of the trucks. I bent them back
            into place and cleaned them up. After that I didn't have this problem any
            more...

            HTH

            - Alex W.

            "Trust in God.