Re: roadbed

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2001
      --- In z_scale@egroups.com, Dale Halterman <dnhalt@m...> wrote:
      > Hello, I am going to start constuction on my layout soon. It is
      going to
      > be 40in by 8 ft. I am planning to use a base of 2inch foam topped
      by 1/2
      > in. high density foam board using the cookie cutter technique for
      the
      > elevations. I am trying to decide whether ornot to use cork
      roadbedover
      > the foam or mount the track directly to the foam.
      > I would like to have some opinions pro or con on each procedure
      > Thanks, Dale

      Hi Dale,

      I like both approaches and have used them successfully on the Val
      Ease Central. I have no particular preference.

      Now, if I were to begin a modest new layout, I would probably use
      cork. However, on a large layout with long runs of mainline, I would
      be tempted to lay the track on the foam and carve landscape features
      (I like to save a few bucks here and there, symbolically of
      course!).

      Everything my associates have contributed to this thread is valid. I
      think the sound deadening argument in favour of cork gives it an edge
      over foam. Another consideration that I just thought of is, if
      someone asked me to build a layout for them, what would I choose?
      Answer: cork, no question!

      Have fun with whatever you choose, or do both and see
      what you prefer.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey
    • Rev. Charles Hanna
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
        Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
        start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
        suggestions anyone might have.

        Thanks,

        Charles
      • Paul Hertel
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
          I have used AMI on my module and in my cigar box. I like it a lot. I have
          HO scale and it worked great for the double lines. For single it needs to
          be cut.
          For my cigar box, I cut it in thirds and it looks good. For my layout I
          will try N scale cut in half. It's easy to use. It's sticky on both sides.
          Stays where you put it and holds track ballast very well. You can mold it a
          bit to flatten the edges so it appears more realistic and can be painted
          with acrylics.
          It can be curved with ease.
          We have a Reverend in our club the MidweZt HaulerZ.

          Happy Z'ing
          Paul
          Berger Meister, Hertzberg.
          Car A
          MidweZt HaulerZ
          Belleville, IL
          www.midwezthaulerz.com <blocked::http://www.midwezthaulerz.com>

          .

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=229250/grpspId=1601533816/msgId=
          47759/stime=1160421399/nc1=3848615/nc2=3848446/nc3=3848527>

        • Larry Donsbach
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
            I have not used the AMI as much as I am going to in the future but I
            have found one thing about it, it sure cuts down of the drum effect that
            is produced when you glue cork roadbed to thin plywood. In addition, I
            have been considering using a thin piece of it to dampen the vibration
            of the new MTL track on plywood.

            The Ttrak Z modules that I have currently use the 195mm R track and
            Marklin 220MM R. I have noticed a really big diffenence in sound
            deadening using the AMI under the Marklin track. I think that I will be
            using a lot of the AMI in the future for its sound deadening qualities.

            Larry D
            San Antonio

          • Thomas Welsch
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
              Hello Charles,

              Paul has already told you about the advantages of AMI Instant Roadbed.
              I confess, I suggested it since I've been using it for a long time. All
              of the modules the MidweZt HaulerZ currently display use it for roads
              and parking lots as well as roadbed. It's flexible, holds track and
              ballast well, and the track can be re-positioned fairly easily if it
              hasn't been pressed down too firmly or been there for a long time. You
              can see it in the pics of my modules here.
              <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9>

              Keep ThoZe TrainZ Rollin'
              Thom Welsch
              MidweZt HaulreZ

              Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
              > start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
              > suggestions anyone might have.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Charles

            • Thomas Welsch
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                I hate it when links don't work....try this

                <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9.html>

                Thom Welsch
              • Allan Borg
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                  I have also used this product to lay track. When I placed the bed on
                  the ground surface I used some Liquid Nails to glue it down so that I
                  didn't have to press hard on a piece of delicate foam. I also glued
                  the track down the same. On the edges I took an Exacto blade and
                  beveled the bed so make it even on both sides. At this point I took
                  the finest ballast and sprinkled it all over the bed and track and
                  pressed it into the gummy material. Once I was satisfied with the
                  appearance I then took a Dust Buster vac to the remaining loose
                  ballast and salvaged the unused portion. This process has to be done
                  all in the same day or else your AMI bed will start to get hard and
                  lose it's flexibility and wond accept the ballast.
                  Allan Borg
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Welsch" <rvn20012000@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Charles,
                  >
                  > Paul has already told you about the advantages of AMI Instant Roadbed.
                  > I confess, I suggested it since I've been using it for a long time. All
                  > of the modules the MidweZt HaulerZ currently display use it for roads
                  > and parking lots as well as roadbed. It's flexible, holds track and
                  > ballast well, and the track can be re-positioned fairly easily if it
                  > hasn't been pressed down too firmly or been there for a long time. You
                  > can see it in the pics of my modules here.
                  > <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9>
                  >
                  > Keep ThoZe TrainZ Rollin'
                  > Thom Welsch
                  > MidweZt HaulreZ
                  >

                  > Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
                  > > start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
                  > > suggestions anyone might have.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Charles

                • afazzara
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2015

                    What is the preferred roadbed for z scale? Cork? Woodland Scenic roadbed? None? I had cork roadbed on my HO set when I was a kid (my dad and I never ballasted it) and it was easy to use and gave good sound dampening from the plywood base. I plan on ballasting my z scale layout and the base will be a mix of plywood and plaster/foam.

                    Anthony

                  • jamesmacburney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 6, 2015
                      Anthony,
                      The ZoCal group uses on our Z-Bend modules Neoprene & Cork Strip Gasket, 1/8" Thick, 1" Width, 100' Length from McMaster-Carr.  I cut mine on a Mat Cutter with a 45degree cutter.  Works great even on curves.
                      James
                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7, 2015
                        Cork from IBL for me. *;) Clin d’œil
                        Dom

                        De : "afazzara@... [z_scale]" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                        À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        Envoyé le : Vendredi 6 février 2015 19h31
                        Objet : [Z_Scale] roadbed

                        What is the preferred roadbed for z scale? Cork? Woodland Scenic roadbed? None? I had cork roadbed on my HO set when I was a kid (my dad and I never ballasted it) and it was easy to use and gave good sound dampening from the plywood base. I plan on ballasting my z scale layout and the base will be a mix of plywood and plaster/foam.

                        Anthony

                      • Ken Armstrong
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 7, 2015
                          Some recent articles for HO and N scales suggest using two layers of
                          material in the roadbed for best sound deadening. The best combination
                          seemed to be foam tape with cork on top. The foam tape used was "campers
                          tape" which is slightly less dense than the Scotch sticky foam tape.
                          Other good materials were homosote (which is ground up compressed paper)
                          and auto foam tape for sound insulation. In N scale I have used cork
                          roadbed over picture framing matboard (dense paper sheet) or craft foam
                          sheeting which both do well on extruded foam scenery. I like Woodland
                          Scenics scenery glue to hold it down but there are cheaper brands. Most
                          of this material is available over the web at reasonable or even cheap
                          prices. Try Tape.com for starters.
                          Ken Armstrong
                          Irmo, SC
                        • robertallbritton
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7, 2015
                            I can tell you the LOUDEST combination is track glued directly onto pink foam board.

                            Been there - done that.
                          • ellgeib
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 8, 2015
                              Homosote can be a good material. I have a 48 inch by 21 inch portable layout I bought from a friend about 25 years ago. He used 1/2 inch thick Homosote for the base and simply tacked Marklin track to it with small pins. The vast majority of pins are still holding well. I hauled this layout back and forth to two train shows each year for about 15 years and stored it in a garage. It is a paper product and should be somewhat sensitive to humidity changes, but I haven't noticed any problem. It is heavy though. I built a 2nd portable layout, 48 inches by 24 inches, using 3/4 inch Homosote for the base (it's all I could find locally). That layout was a bear to carry - way too heavy. I rebuilt it using foam board and cut the weight by many pounds.

                              I wouldn't recommend Homosote for a portable layout. It does have some good properties for use on a permanent layout. I don't know if it comes thinner than 1/2 inch. That's pretty thick for z-scale roadbed. And it would require a lot of trimming for the sloped edges. It does have excellent holding power and sound deadening qualities. I know a number of years back that those qualities made it popular, at least for a while, in HO scale.

                              Ell Geib