RE: [Z_Scale] Making the Pilgrimage

  • Trains
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
      Scott,

      Rob already mentioned the Göppingen Cathedral as a z-scale building of
      interest in Göppingen. There are three others as well, which were all
      available as kits from Märklin. The railway station itself of course, the
      signal tower and, a few kilometers outside the town, on the closed
      Göppingen-Boll railway line, the little station of Dürnau.

      The name of the model train shop next to the museum, is Drehscheibe:
      http://www.drehscheibe-goeppingen.de/

      Happy pilgrimage,

      Tapani Tuominen
      trains@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
        Jumping onto this thread, I don’t know how you are getting to Göppingen,
        but if by car, then you may want to stop off at Eisenbahn-Treffpunkt
        SCHWEICKHARDT Waiblingen-Beinstein… its on the back to Stuttgart from
        Göppingen. (in Biegelwiesenstrasse 31Telefon ( 07151 ) 93 79 31
        http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/). It is a pretty large ‘supermarket
        style’ (yes, you get a shopping cart upon entering) store, with LOTS of
        inventory. Must confess that when I was there I was not a Zed-er, so I
        don’t know the extent of their Z inventory, but HO was very large, with
        LOTS of out of date items.

        The Drehschreibe is a very good store, almost directly across from
        Märklin Museum.

        The Hohenstaufen is a great hotel, but fyi – no elevator! The
        restaurant is VERY good, but a little pricy. If you are into
        book-matched woodwork, check out the ceiling in the restaurant! And the
        Z layouts in the bar are a lot of fun.

        … eric

      • bill.foote
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
          1. ETS has quite a good selection of Z, including a few second-hand items
          from time to time

          2. I do get the impression that Drehschreibe have a fairly close
          relationship with their near neighbours - I have seen people from
          Drehschreibe wandering into No. 8 fairly freely

          3. The Hohenstaufen is by far and away the best hotel in town, hence he can
          be a bit "up market" with his prices - I reckon that both rooms and meals
          are worth the prices asked

          Bill Foote (http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote)