Re: [z_scale] roadbed

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2001
      bjkronen@... wrote:

      > Dale:
      >
      > > Hello, I am going to start constuction on my layout soon.
      >
      > Excellent !!! Take pictures of your progress.
      >

      > With cork:
      >
      > 1. Looks "right"
      >
      > 5. One commonly forgotten aspect of roadbeds is that they always have
      > drainage ditches next to the right of way. With roadbed, and a foam
      > base, it would take almost nothing to scribe in a ditch next to the roadbed edge.
      >
      > Life as seen though one set of eyes. Other thoughts out there?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Bill Kronenberger
      > Houston

      Bill is right. Go out and look at some full size RR tracks. If you are
      modeling mainlines go look at mainlines. Same for yards or branch
      lines.

      You must look at both the track and the area adjacent to the tracks.
      You can recognize where the railroad track property ends and the
      neighboring non railroad property begins. Your model track should
      include all of this. You will probably have to compress your model
      because actual RR track including the drainage ditches, cuts and fills
      take a lot of space.

      The problem with model railroaders is that they copy what other modelers
      do and seldom go out and examine what the real RR's do. Take pictures
      of what you see and use them as reference to build your model track.

      If you are contemplating a fairly large Z scale layout you can take
      advantage of your space and build some truly realistic railroad right of
      way.

      The guys who model in the gigantic scales complain the Z scale lacks
      details. For Z scale we can add details that the big clumsies leave
      out.

      And, try not to lay your railroad ties directly on your base board. Use
      some type of road bed. Almost all track is raised above the surrounding
      area because of drainage. If you use a substantial roadbed you can use
      it to start grades. You can use a thinner roadbed to model sidings and
      yards, for they are almost always lower in elevation than the mainline.

      Your base board is the absolute bottom level of your scenery. Rivers or
      lakes may be lower but you must cut those out. Roads, houses and
      buildings should be made on separate baseboards. Imagine if it should
      rain on your layout. Where would all the water go. Would the homes
      and business on your layout be flooded.

      This may sound picky but it will improve the looks of your railroad.
      Maybe YOUR should be capitalzed.

      Bill
      El Toro
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2001
        Here's something I wrote about cork roadbed and ballast that might help:
        http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/ballast.html

        At 08:33 PM 1/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hello, I am going to start constuction on my layout soon. It is going to
        >be 40in by 8 ft. I am planning to use a base of 2inch foam topped by 1/2
        >in. high density foam board using the cookie cutter technique for the
        >elevations. I am trying to decide whether ornot to use cork roadbedover
        >the foam or mount the track directly to the foam.
        >I would like to have some opinions pro or con on each procedure
        >Thanks, Dale

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In z_scale@egroups.com, Dale Halterman <dnhalt@m...> wrote:
          > Hello, I am going to start constuction on my layout soon. It is
          going to
          > be 40in by 8 ft. I am planning to use a base of 2inch foam topped
          by 1/2
          > in. high density foam board using the cookie cutter technique for
          the
          > elevations. I am trying to decide whether ornot to use cork
          roadbedover
          > the foam or mount the track directly to the foam.
          > I would like to have some opinions pro or con on each procedure
          > Thanks, Dale

          Hi Dale,

          I like both approaches and have used them successfully on the Val
          Ease Central. I have no particular preference.

          Now, if I were to begin a modest new layout, I would probably use
          cork. However, on a large layout with long runs of mainline, I would
          be tempted to lay the track on the foam and carve landscape features
          (I like to save a few bucks here and there, symbolically of
          course!).

          Everything my associates have contributed to this thread is valid. I
          think the sound deadening argument in favour of cork gives it an edge
          over foam. Another consideration that I just thought of is, if
          someone asked me to build a layout for them, what would I choose?
          Answer: cork, no question!

          Have fun with whatever you choose, or do both and see
          what you prefer.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey
        • Rev. Charles Hanna
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
            Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
            start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
            suggestions anyone might have.

            Thanks,

            Charles
          • Paul Hertel
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
              I have used AMI on my module and in my cigar box. I like it a lot. I have
              HO scale and it worked great for the double lines. For single it needs to
              be cut.
              For my cigar box, I cut it in thirds and it looks good. For my layout I
              will try N scale cut in half. It's easy to use. It's sticky on both sides.
              Stays where you put it and holds track ballast very well. You can mold it a
              bit to flatten the edges so it appears more realistic and can be painted
              with acrylics.
              It can be curved with ease.
              We have a Reverend in our club the MidweZt HaulerZ.

              Happy Z'ing
              Paul
              Berger Meister, Hertzberg.
              Car A
              MidweZt HaulerZ
              Belleville, IL
              www.midwezthaulerz.com <blocked::http://www.midwezthaulerz.com>

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=229250/grpspId=1601533816/msgId=
              47759/stime=1160421399/nc1=3848615/nc2=3848446/nc3=3848527>

            • Larry Donsbach
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                I have not used the AMI as much as I am going to in the future but I
                have found one thing about it, it sure cuts down of the drum effect that
                is produced when you glue cork roadbed to thin plywood. In addition, I
                have been considering using a thin piece of it to dampen the vibration
                of the new MTL track on plywood.

                The Ttrak Z modules that I have currently use the 195mm R track and
                Marklin 220MM R. I have noticed a really big diffenence in sound
                deadening using the AMI under the Marklin track. I think that I will be
                using a lot of the AMI in the future for its sound deadening qualities.

                Larry D
                San Antonio

              • Thomas Welsch
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                  Hello Charles,

                  Paul has already told you about the advantages of AMI Instant Roadbed.
                  I confess, I suggested it since I've been using it for a long time. All
                  of the modules the MidweZt HaulerZ currently display use it for roads
                  and parking lots as well as roadbed. It's flexible, holds track and
                  ballast well, and the track can be re-positioned fairly easily if it
                  hasn't been pressed down too firmly or been there for a long time. You
                  can see it in the pics of my modules here.
                  <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9>

                  Keep ThoZe TrainZ Rollin'
                  Thom Welsch
                  MidweZt HaulreZ

                  Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
                  > start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
                  > suggestions anyone might have.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Charles

                • Thomas Welsch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                    I hate it when links don't work....try this

                    <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9.html>

                    Thom Welsch
                  • Allan Borg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                      I have also used this product to lay track. When I placed the bed on
                      the ground surface I used some Liquid Nails to glue it down so that I
                      didn't have to press hard on a piece of delicate foam. I also glued
                      the track down the same. On the edges I took an Exacto blade and
                      beveled the bed so make it even on both sides. At this point I took
                      the finest ballast and sprinkled it all over the bed and track and
                      pressed it into the gummy material. Once I was satisfied with the
                      appearance I then took a Dust Buster vac to the remaining loose
                      ballast and salvaged the unused portion. This process has to be done
                      all in the same day or else your AMI bed will start to get hard and
                      lose it's flexibility and wond accept the ballast.
                      Allan Borg
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Welsch" <rvn20012000@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Charles,
                      >
                      > Paul has already told you about the advantages of AMI Instant Roadbed.
                      > I confess, I suggested it since I've been using it for a long time. All
                      > of the modules the MidweZt HaulerZ currently display use it for roads
                      > and parking lots as well as roadbed. It's flexible, holds track and
                      > ballast well, and the track can be re-positioned fairly easily if it
                      > hasn't been pressed down too firmly or been there for a long time. You
                      > can see it in the pics of my modules here.
                      > <http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yju3/id9>
                      >
                      > Keep ThoZe TrainZ Rollin'
                      > Thom Welsch
                      > MidweZt HaulreZ
                      >

                      > Has anyone been using AMI Instant Roadbed in Z scale? Getting ready to
                      > > start laying track for my first Z scale layout and could use any
                      > > suggestions anyone might have.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Charles

                    • afazzara
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 6

                        What is the preferred roadbed for z scale? Cork? Woodland Scenic roadbed? None? I had cork roadbed on my HO set when I was a kid (my dad and I never ballasted it) and it was easy to use and gave good sound dampening from the plywood base. I plan on ballasting my z scale layout and the base will be a mix of plywood and plaster/foam.

                        Anthony

                      • jamesmacburney
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 6
                          Anthony,
                          The ZoCal group uses on our Z-Bend modules Neoprene & Cork Strip Gasket, 1/8" Thick, 1" Width, 100' Length from McMaster-Carr.  I cut mine on a Mat Cutter with a 45degree cutter.  Works great even on curves.
                          James
                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7
                            Cork from IBL for me. *;) Clin d’œil
                            Dom

                            De : "afazzara@... [z_scale]" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                            À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                            Envoyé le : Vendredi 6 février 2015 19h31
                            Objet : [Z_Scale] roadbed

                            What is the preferred roadbed for z scale? Cork? Woodland Scenic roadbed? None? I had cork roadbed on my HO set when I was a kid (my dad and I never ballasted it) and it was easy to use and gave good sound dampening from the plywood base. I plan on ballasting my z scale layout and the base will be a mix of plywood and plaster/foam.

                            Anthony

                          • Ken Armstrong
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 7
                              Some recent articles for HO and N scales suggest using two layers of
                              material in the roadbed for best sound deadening. The best combination
                              seemed to be foam tape with cork on top. The foam tape used was "campers
                              tape" which is slightly less dense than the Scotch sticky foam tape.
                              Other good materials were homosote (which is ground up compressed paper)
                              and auto foam tape for sound insulation. In N scale I have used cork
                              roadbed over picture framing matboard (dense paper sheet) or craft foam
                              sheeting which both do well on extruded foam scenery. I like Woodland
                              Scenics scenery glue to hold it down but there are cheaper brands. Most
                              of this material is available over the web at reasonable or even cheap
                              prices. Try Tape.com for starters.
                              Ken Armstrong
                              Irmo, SC
                            • robertallbritton
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 7
                                I can tell you the LOUDEST combination is track glued directly onto pink foam board.

                                Been there - done that.
                              • ellgeib
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 8
                                  Homosote can be a good material. I have a 48 inch by 21 inch portable layout I bought from a friend about 25 years ago. He used 1/2 inch thick Homosote for the base and simply tacked Marklin track to it with small pins. The vast majority of pins are still holding well. I hauled this layout back and forth to two train shows each year for about 15 years and stored it in a garage. It is a paper product and should be somewhat sensitive to humidity changes, but I haven't noticed any problem. It is heavy though. I built a 2nd portable layout, 48 inches by 24 inches, using 3/4 inch Homosote for the base (it's all I could find locally). That layout was a bear to carry - way too heavy. I rebuilt it using foam board and cut the weight by many pounds.

                                  I wouldn't recommend Homosote for a portable layout. It does have some good properties for use on a permanent layout. I don't know if it comes thinner than 1/2 inch. That's pretty thick for z-scale roadbed. And it would require a lot of trimming for the sloped edges. It does have excellent holding power and sound deadening qualities. I know a number of years back that those qualities made it popular, at least for a while, in HO scale.

                                  Ell Geib