Making the Pilgrimage

  • Scott Douglass
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I am getting ready to head to Germany and Goppingen (Mecca? Center
      of the European Z universe?) is on the iterary . I was thinking of
      bring a few items back from the factory and remembered someone saying
      model trains can be brought back to the US duty free. I can't for
      the life of me find the Customs regulation number if I get questioned
      by Customs. Does anyone have it at their fingertips? I tried a
      search and came up empty and have no time to really dig for it.

      Any other suggestions about what to see in Goppingen? I have taken
      note of Jeffery's notes on shops in Munich.

      Thanks,

      Scott
    • FR.model@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        "Scott Douglass" <carrera86@...> schrieb:

        >Hi Everyone,
        >
        >I am getting ready to head to Germany and Goppingen (Mecca? Center
        >of the European Z universe?) is on the iterary . I was thinking of
        >bring a few items back from the factory and remembered someone saying
        >model trains can be brought back to the US duty free. I can't for
        >the life of me find the Customs regulation number if I get questioned
        >by Customs. Does anyone have it at their fingertips? I tried a
        >search and came up empty and have no time to really dig for it.
        >
        >Any other suggestions about what to see in Goppingen? I have taken
        >note of Jeffery's notes on shops in Munich.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Scott

        Scott,

        you have luck. I use this number every day. Here it is:

        95031010

        Harald
        --
        FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
        Harald Freudenreich

        phone: +49 38209 49160 fax: 49161 e-mail: FR.model@... internet: www.fr-model.de
      • bill.foote
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          THE place to visit is ETS at Beinstein - http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/ -
          VERY attractive pricing and some good value second-hand (the shop at
          Oberturkheim is more limited in what is in stock there)

          If staying in Goppingen I do strongly recommend the Hotel Hohenstaufen (but
          it is not cheap) - http://www.hotel-hohenstaufen.de/

          Bill Foote (http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote)

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
            Thanks Harald! That's what I love about this group, the people, the
            info!

            Cheers,

            Scott

            internet: www.fr-model.de
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
              Scott,

              I have had no problems with customs in the past when it came to model trains.
              I actually brought a suitcase home full of trains after a meeting with the
              owner of American Z Line. Not a problem!

              Just outside of the Marklin museum is a great model train shop. I can't think
              of the name, but I have done business there. There are other wonderful shops
              in the town. Yes, the Hotel Hohenstaufen is a great place. In their bar, they
              have four tables with Z scale layouts built into them. WOW!

              Also, take a good look at the Cathedral. It is the one Kibri modeled in Z
              scale. Have a great trip.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com

            • Trains
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                Scott,

                Rob already mentioned the Göppingen Cathedral as a z-scale building of
                interest in Göppingen. There are three others as well, which were all
                available as kits from Märklin. The railway station itself of course, the
                signal tower and, a few kilometers outside the town, on the closed
                Göppingen-Boll railway line, the little station of Dürnau.

                The name of the model train shop next to the museum, is Drehscheibe:
                http://www.drehscheibe-goeppingen.de/

                Happy pilgrimage,

                Tapani Tuominen
                trains@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Jumping onto this thread, I don’t know how you are getting to Göppingen,
                  but if by car, then you may want to stop off at Eisenbahn-Treffpunkt
                  SCHWEICKHARDT Waiblingen-Beinstein… its on the back to Stuttgart from
                  Göppingen. (in Biegelwiesenstrasse 31Telefon ( 07151 ) 93 79 31
                  http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/). It is a pretty large ‘supermarket
                  style’ (yes, you get a shopping cart upon entering) store, with LOTS of
                  inventory. Must confess that when I was there I was not a Zed-er, so I
                  don’t know the extent of their Z inventory, but HO was very large, with
                  LOTS of out of date items.

                  The Drehschreibe is a very good store, almost directly across from
                  Märklin Museum.

                  The Hohenstaufen is a great hotel, but fyi – no elevator! The
                  restaurant is VERY good, but a little pricy. If you are into
                  book-matched woodwork, check out the ceiling in the restaurant! And the
                  Z layouts in the bar are a lot of fun.

                  … eric

                • bill.foote
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
                    1. ETS has quite a good selection of Z, including a few second-hand items
                    from time to time

                    2. I do get the impression that Drehschreibe have a fairly close
                    relationship with their near neighbours - I have seen people from
                    Drehschreibe wandering into No. 8 fairly freely

                    3. The Hohenstaufen is by far and away the best hotel in town, hence he can
                    be a bit "up market" with his prices - I reckon that both rooms and meals
                    are worth the prices asked