Joerger DeLuxe Speed Regulator and Relco/Gaugemaster

  • Jeremy Brandon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- "DaleHalterman" <dnhalt@c...> wrote:
      >> Will the "System Joerger" Speed regulator work with the RELCO
      >> Track Cleaning generator?
      > Jeremy, This question must have slipped by you since a did not
      > see an answer. I am also interested in knowing about this.

      Dale, it didn't slip by, but I wanted to give a definitive answer, so
      I've been doing further experiments. But I can't beat the laws of
      physics!

      The short answer is: NO, the new "De Luxe" speed regulator will not
      work with electronic track cleaners like the Relco and Gaugemaster.

      The long answer is still "no", but there is an explanation. The
      regulator uses feedback from the motor to keep the speed constant. At
      slow speeds the feedback (counter-EMF) is very small - for example:
      at its slowest, one of my 5-pole motors produces 80 millivolts
      immediately after the end of the pulse, which dies away to zero after
      about 5 milliseconds. This is enough: the slight variations from one
      pulse to the next are used to adjust the pulse width and rate, so
      that the average feedback, and therefore the average speed, is
      constant.

      Unfortunately electronic track cleaners pass the track power through
      a small transformer - this is how the high frequency, high voltage is
      injected onto the track - and the winding acts as an inductance which
      distorts the feedback from the motor. The distortion happens even if
      the track cleaner is not powered! The regulator can make no sense of
      the distorted feedback, so the speed goes haywire and the loco
      travels too fast or not smoothly. There seems to be no cure.
      Distortion also occurs if the track power is passed through a diode
      or a transistor.

      If you want to try it for yourself, if you use a Relco be sure to
      wire the blue capacitor across the track terminals on the regulator -
      the Gaugemaster has a capacitor built in.

      The alternative to an electronic track cleaner is clean track, and
      maybe a touch of Wahl oil. The regulator indicates when the loco has
      lost contact with the track by lighting the LED, so it is fairly easy
      to find the trouble spots and take remedial action. Because the
      regulator uses pulse power it is not as susceptible to track problems
      as a pure-DC controller.

      Jeremy.
    • Torsja
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Brandon"
        <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
        > --- "DaleHalterman" <dnhalt@c...> wrote:
        > >> Will the "System Joerger" Speed regulator work with the RELCO
        > >> Track Cleaning generator?

        > The short answer is: NO, the new "De Luxe" speed regulator will
        not work with electronic track cleaners like the Relco and
        Gaugemaster.

        > Jeremy.

        Thank you for your testing and your answer Jeremy.
        It's good to know if I deside to by one or more off this regulators.

        Torsja - Norway