Re: PS2 Covered Hoppers

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      I take it it's the yet to be applied brakewheel in the foreground?

      Yes! Actually, all the brass pieces have yet to be attached. They
      were just resting on the master. I have close to 20 or so hoppers
      so far. Plan on many, many more. I had to make some minor
      adjustments to the CAD drawing for the coupler was interferring in
      the Brass. Tomorrow I will be etching the improved version. It's
      about time "Z" had some cars to haul that grain to market.

      The MicroMark Photo Etching kit is pretty cool. I was very
      impressed with the quality of work it produced. I followed the
      directions to the "T". I have to say, the only thing you need to
      keep in mind, if you purchase one of their kits, is the size of
      etching you want to produce. The aerator churns the ferric Chloride
      in the center of the tank so the edges take a bit longer to etch.
      If you are very, very careful, you can remove the top and manipulate
      the brass so that the aerator works over all the bass.

      I think I am going to invest in making a spray type etching tank
      like the one described in www.prototrains.com.

      Anyways, I am open to any questions or comments anyone might have on
      any of my techniques or knowledge. Have a great weekend!

      Tim
    • Torsja
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
        Thank you so much for charring with us your experience and comment
        on the MicroMark Photo Etching kit Tim. I'm considering off maybe
        getting me one off these my self some time.

        You wouldn't maybe have some larger detailed quality photos off your
        etching work you could send me "offline"?

        Regard Torsja - Norway
        tjm @ smbservice.no (PS: Take away the spaces)