Re: [Z_Scale] PS2 Covered Hoppers

  • Michael Hilliard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      All I can think of is incredible work!!! Now I'm sold on the micromark etching kit. I take it it's the yet to be applied brakewheel in the foreground?

      Michael Hilliard

      sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
      I just posted 2 photos of my latest creation in the TNT'z folder.
      It is an improved version of my first creation so many months ago.
      This one by far is super detailed by comparison.

      I have been playing with my MicroMark Photo Etching kit today. It
      turned out a very pretty brass etching of my CAD work as you can see
      detailing the ends and the roof walk. Now for the fine tuning and a
      paint job and I'll be moving grain to market. All comments
      appreciated. :)

      Tim

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        They look great Tim! I, glad the etching kit works OK. I can't wait
        until my etching kit shows up. Any day now!

        -Robert
      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          I take it it's the yet to be applied brakewheel in the foreground?

          Yes! Actually, all the brass pieces have yet to be attached. They
          were just resting on the master. I have close to 20 or so hoppers
          so far. Plan on many, many more. I had to make some minor
          adjustments to the CAD drawing for the coupler was interferring in
          the Brass. Tomorrow I will be etching the improved version. It's
          about time "Z" had some cars to haul that grain to market.

          The MicroMark Photo Etching kit is pretty cool. I was very
          impressed with the quality of work it produced. I followed the
          directions to the "T". I have to say, the only thing you need to
          keep in mind, if you purchase one of their kits, is the size of
          etching you want to produce. The aerator churns the ferric Chloride
          in the center of the tank so the edges take a bit longer to etch.
          If you are very, very careful, you can remove the top and manipulate
          the brass so that the aerator works over all the bass.

          I think I am going to invest in making a spray type etching tank
          like the one described in www.prototrains.com.

          Anyways, I am open to any questions or comments anyone might have on
          any of my techniques or knowledge. Have a great weekend!

          Tim
        • Torsja
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
            Thank you so much for charring with us your experience and comment
            on the MicroMark Photo Etching kit Tim. I'm considering off maybe
            getting me one off these my self some time.

            You wouldn't maybe have some larger detailed quality photos off your
            etching work you could send me "offline"?

            Regard Torsja - Norway
            tjm @ smbservice.no (PS: Take away the spaces)