PS2 Covered Hoppers

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      I just posted 2 photos of my latest creation in the TNT'z folder.
      It is an improved version of my first creation so many months ago.
      This one by far is super detailed by comparison.

      I have been playing with my MicroMark Photo Etching kit today. It
      turned out a very pretty brass etching of my CAD work as you can see
      detailing the ends and the roof walk. Now for the fine tuning and a
      paint job and I'll be moving grain to market. All comments
      appreciated. :)

      Tim
    • Michael Hilliard
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        All I can think of is incredible work!!! Now I'm sold on the micromark etching kit. I take it it's the yet to be applied brakewheel in the foreground?

        Michael Hilliard

        sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
        I just posted 2 photos of my latest creation in the TNT'z folder.
        It is an improved version of my first creation so many months ago.
        This one by far is super detailed by comparison.

        I have been playing with my MicroMark Photo Etching kit today. It
        turned out a very pretty brass etching of my CAD work as you can see
        detailing the ends and the roof walk. Now for the fine tuning and a
        paint job and I'll be moving grain to market. All comments
        appreciated. :)

        Tim

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          They look great Tim! I, glad the etching kit works OK. I can't wait
          until my etching kit shows up. Any day now!

          -Robert
        • sgt_tim7
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            I take it it's the yet to be applied brakewheel in the foreground?

            Yes! Actually, all the brass pieces have yet to be attached. They
            were just resting on the master. I have close to 20 or so hoppers
            so far. Plan on many, many more. I had to make some minor
            adjustments to the CAD drawing for the coupler was interferring in
            the Brass. Tomorrow I will be etching the improved version. It's
            about time "Z" had some cars to haul that grain to market.

            The MicroMark Photo Etching kit is pretty cool. I was very
            impressed with the quality of work it produced. I followed the
            directions to the "T". I have to say, the only thing you need to
            keep in mind, if you purchase one of their kits, is the size of
            etching you want to produce. The aerator churns the ferric Chloride
            in the center of the tank so the edges take a bit longer to etch.
            If you are very, very careful, you can remove the top and manipulate
            the brass so that the aerator works over all the bass.

            I think I am going to invest in making a spray type etching tank
            like the one described in www.prototrains.com.

            Anyways, I am open to any questions or comments anyone might have on
            any of my techniques or knowledge. Have a great weekend!

            Tim
          • Torsja
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
              Thank you so much for charring with us your experience and comment
              on the MicroMark Photo Etching kit Tim. I'm considering off maybe
              getting me one off these my self some time.

              You wouldn't maybe have some larger detailed quality photos off your
              etching work you could send me "offline"?

              Regard Torsja - Norway
              tjm @ smbservice.no (PS: Take away the spaces)