Re: A Prozperous New Year to You All

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hello Dieter,

      Good to hear from you. After reading your reply to my original
      post, I must point out that I made no mention of Marklin at all. I
      used the abbreviation MR for Model Railroader Magazine not for
      Marklin. I have great respect for Marklin and have never done any
      bashing at their expense. Their support for their invention is
      remarkable considering the size of the market.

      Mea culpa! I did say that Ztrack is the best Z scale publication.
      Now my North American bias is showing. I'm sure that the other
      publications have many fine qualities. But I only write for one! I
      will try to check out the Club Revue and share my opinion with
      the group. Anybody got a copy that you can loan to me?

      You mentioned that there were 3 - 4 Z layouts among the 25
      layouts on display in Cologne in 2000. That is a pretty good
      average. I have exhibited at train shows since 1993 and my
      layout was the only Z scale that I ever saw until I connected with
      Terry Sutfin in 1998.

      There are several Z scalers in the US who take their layouts to
      train shows. They are almost always the only Z to be seen at
      these shows. We are like Z missionaries!

      In 1999 at the NTS1999 in St. Paul, MN, there was only 1 Z scale
      layout. At the NTS2000 train show in San Jose, CA, last August,
      there were 2 Z scale layouts among the exhibits. However, next
      July, there will be 2 layouts and several dozen Z modules at the
      NTS2001 in St. Louis, MI. Things are improving in North America
      as you can see.

      In conclusion, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments...
      "Having this in mind, we scale Z fans have to promote our idea at
      every chance we see!!"

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      --- In z_scale@egroups.com, Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t... wrote:
      > Dear Jeff,
      >
      > yes, I do agree with most of your statements related to the
      problems of scale Z.
      > Also we, at the other side of the Big Pond have some
      problems.
      > Yes, Scale Z has a lower priority at Maerklin than scale HO.
      Scale Z may
      > represent only 3 % of their business. And we have to live with
      this hard fact!
      > We are at the very end of their priority. So is the service and
      efficiency.
      > And, I do agree, that Maerklin is by origin, a toy manufacturer.
      > However, it was the inventur and is still the leading edge of
      scale Z.
      SNIP

      > You mention that the best scale Z magazine is the Ztrack
      Magazine.
      > Yes I am a subscriber of this magazine and I enjoy every copy.
      > However, I like to draw your attention on the 'Club Revue' of the
      Z Club 92.
      > I do think, this publication gives also a broad review of the
      scale z scene.
      > Well, the US-scenery may be a little under represented. But a
      lot of information
      > is included.
      >
      > Related to US-sceneries, I agree, that there are only few
      layouts shown at
      > exhibitions and shows. In scale N or HO, there we see some
      layouts. But in scale
      > Z there we have a lack. At the Model train show in Cologne
      2000, which was
      > marked as the worlds biggest modell rail road show of the
      world, only 3 or 4
      > layouts in scale Z were presented among 25 layouts at bigger
      scales!

      > Having this in mind, we scale Z fans have to promote our idea
      at every chance we
      > see!!
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dieter
      >

      > Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
      > > Greetings Tapio,
      > >
      > > I understand your frustration. My first contact with Z scale
      was through
      > > the MR series on the Feather River Canyon project layout
      which started in
      > > February 1986. Since then there has been only one article
      about Z in the
      > > MAJOR model magazines, a one page vignette in the last
      year about a table
      > > top layout which disappointed many of us who had lobbied
      MR for more Z
      > > coverage.
      > >
      > > The big US magazines have been contacted with article
      ideas for several
      > > years now. I should know since I was offering to produce
      articles for them.
      > > They are not, repeat, not interested in Z. It is a marginal
      scale and
      > > does not fit their readership demographics. At the last 2
      national train
      > > shows, I have personally invited the MR and Great Model
      Railroads editors to
      > > visit my layout which was no more than 100 meters from their
      booth. On both
      > > occasions they said that they would drop by - didn't happen!
      > >
      > > This past summer, I did get a visit from Russ Larsen who
      was in fact, editor
      > > of MR when the Feather River Canyon series was published.
      Russ was an

    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
        Dear Jeff,

        the remarks on Maerklin-bashing I made were misleading, I do agree. Please
        apologize, it was not ment to disturb you. It was the general spirit in this
        group on Maerklin I was commenting.

        Well, as you mentioned, obviously we all are influenced by our environment. You
        are living in the USA and you are a contributing writer of Ztrack. I am living
        in Germany and I am connected to the Club Revue team of the Z Club 92.

        If you are able to get hold of the 3/2000 edition of the Club Revue, you may see
        the merrits of the CR. There for example you find a step by step instruction
        (with pictures) to convert a 'normal' Z loco into a 'digital controlled' Z loco!
        Yes, the digital world has arrived Scale Z.
        I read from this article that also an F7 loco may go digital!

        Because I am collecting and running only US models (see CR 4/2000) I am also
        reading Ztrack with great interest. It is a very fine publication. It gives me
        great informations on the American Scale Z scenery!

        I will contact you on your lay out later.
        At the moment I try to complete my American-Texas lay out with moving oil well
        pumps (donkey heads). It has to be ready end of Feb to be shown at an exhibition
        beginning march.
        As you may understand I am a real missionary here in Germany: Scale Z a n d
        showing an American scenery! There was the GP 38 of Rogue on my lay out. 85 000
        visitors were at the exhibition. Only one visitor was asking on the whereabouts
        of this little gem!

        Regards

        Dieter

        Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
        > Hello Dieter,
        >
        > Good to hear from you. After reading your reply to my original
        > post, I must point out that I made no mention of Marklin at all. I
        > used the abbreviation MR for Model Railroader Magazine not for
        > Marklin. I have great respect for Marklin and have never done any
        > bashing at their expense. Their support for their invention is
        > remarkable considering the size of the market.
        >
        > Mea culpa! I did say that Ztrack is the best Z scale publication.
        > Now my North American bias is showing. I'm sure that the other
        > publications have many fine qualities. But I only write for one! I
        > will try to check out the Club Revue and share my opinion with
        > the group. Anybody got a copy that you can loan to me?
        >
        > You mentioned that there were 3 - 4 Z layouts among the 25
        > layouts on display in Cologne in 2000. That is a pretty good
        > average. I have exhibited at train shows since 1993 and my
        > layout was the only Z scale that I ever saw until I connected with
        > Terry Sutfin in 1998.
        >
        > There are several Z scalers in the US who take their layouts to
        > train shows. They are almost always the only Z to be seen at
        > these shows. We are like Z missionaries!
        >
        > In 1999 at the NTS1999 in St. Paul, MN, there was only 1 Z scale
        > layout. At the NTS2000 train show in San Jose, CA, last August,
        > there were 2 Z scale layouts among the exhibits. However, next
        > July, there will be 2 layouts and several dozen Z modules at the
        > NTS2001 in St. Louis, MI. Things are improving in North America
        > as you can see.
        >
        > In conclusion, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments...
        > "Having this in mind, we scale Z fans have to promote our idea at
        > every chance we see!!"
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeffrey

      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hi Dieter,

          One comment concerning Marklin...the Z_Scale list appears to me to be very
          pro-Marklin. Marklin is doing a good job. We have some new US style sets
          in the stores, we have 5 pole motors in the new products and Marklin USA is
          sponsoring Z scale days.

          Now, if it happens to be on the subject of switches or turnouts, that is
          another matter! Yes, we do a lot of complaining about the state of Marklin
          turnouts. Then again we post solutions to their shortcomings for the
          benefit of our fellow runners. Life in Z scale ain't all that bad. Some
          members like to dream about getting better operating and looking switches.
          There are ways of doing it, as Dave and Bill have demonstrated.

          Our hope is that Marklin or another fearless manufacturer will hear our
          whining, ahem, suggestions and introduce an improved line of switches, even
          ones without switch motors that can be powered easily from under the
          layout....

          Actually, I don't live in the US. I live in Toronto where I can see the US
          on a clear day from my office window :-) I do write for Ztrack but then
          again, earlier today I sent an offer off to Nicola to send an article to CR.
          No answer yet but I'll let you know what he says.

          Dieter, I know that you are a Zealot for USA style railroading in Germany.
          Here in North America, the few of us who brave train shows with our layouts
          are Zealots for Z, period, European or American settings.

          By the way, the GP38s only impress the Z scalers here because they know what
          an accomplishment it was to produce a hood unit in Z. Modelers in other
          scales are blissfully ignorant of the challenges we face in our favourite
          scale. While we drool over one, now two hood units, the other scale
          modelers have dozens to choose from. C'est la vie!

          I look forward to seeing and perhaps reading about your Texas oil field
          layout. Good luck at the big train show.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
            Dear Jeff,

            living in Canada is not the worst thing in this world! I lived 2 years in
            Calgary, Alberta and enjoyed every day!

            On Maerklin turnouts: I do have the experiences that only the MTL F7 locos are
            tending to stop at Maerklin turnouts at slow speed and sit there grining at you.
            Maerklin F7s are managing the turnouts even at slow speed.
            Has somebody else this experiences?

            On switches with under the table motors: My English is not so good to detect
            irony. So I comment with some innocence. In Germany we have several persons or
            manufacturers providing a service to convert a 'normal' Maerklin switch into an
            under the table powered switch. Americans should be able to provide the same
            service, I mean. However, at least a switch motor would be needed, I do think in
            my humble mind :-).

            On articles proposed to Nicola: I am sure, Nicola will reply. But I know he took
            some days off.

            A description of my 'Texas Oil Field' layout you find in CR 4/2000.

            By the way, the CR of the 'Z Club 92' is printed in German. However you, as an
            American, get an English translation with it. I do hope, it is understandable.

            On US locos and cars in Germany: Yes, you are right: I am one of the Scale Z
            Zealots of American Modell Rail Roading in Germany.
            I look foreward to see the response on my C44-9W I will show on my layout at the
            next exhibition.

            Dear Jeff, I wish you a very prosperous year 2001

            and remain

            Yours

            Dieter

            Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
            > Hi Dieter,
            >
            > One comment concerning Marklin...the Z_Scale list appears to me to be very
            > pro-Marklin. Marklin is doing a good job. We have some new US style sets
            > in the stores, we have 5 pole motors in the new products and Marklin USA is
            > sponsoring Z scale days.
            >
            > Now, if it happens to be on the subject of switches or turnouts, that is
            > another matter! Yes, we do a lot of complaining about the state of Marklin
            > turnouts. Then again we post solutions to their shortcomings for the
            > benefit of our fellow runners. Life in Z scale ain't all that bad. Some
            > members like to dream about getting better operating and looking switches.
            > There are ways of doing it, as Dave and Bill have demonstrated.
            >
            > Our hope is that Marklin or another fearless manufacturer will hear our
            > whining, ahem, suggestions and introduce an improved line of switches, even
            > ones without switch motors that can be powered easily from under the
            > layout....
            >
            > Actually, I don't live in the US. I live in Toronto where I can see the US
            > on a clear day from my office window :-) I do write for Ztrack but then
            > again, earlier today I sent an offer off to Nicola to send an article to CR.
            > No answer yet but I'll let you know what he says.
            >
            > Dieter, I know that you are a Zealot for USA style railroading in Germany.
            > Here in North America, the few of us who brave train shows with our layouts
            > are Zealots for Z, period, European or American settings.
            >
            > By the way, the GP38s only impress the Z scalers here because they know what
            > an accomplishment it was to produce a hood unit in Z. Modelers in other
            > scales are blissfully ignorant of the challenges we face in our favourite
            > scale. While we drool over one, now two hood units, the other scale
            > modelers have dozens to choose from. C'est la vie!
            >
            > I look forward to seeing and perhaps reading about your Texas oil field
            > layout. Good luck at the big train show.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jeffrey

          • Alex W
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
              > On Maerklin turnouts: I do have the experiences that only the MTL F7 locos
              are
              > tending to stop at Maerklin turnouts at slow speed and sit there grining
              at you.
              > Maerklin F7s are managing the turnouts even at slow speed.
              > Has somebody else this experiences?

              I saw this on an MTL F7 that I had. I found that only one of the trucks was
              picking up power (tried applying power to each truck individually, only one
              made the wheels turn). I opened up the loco and found that the little brass
              contacts were out of place and dirty on one of the trucks. I bent them back
              into place and cleaned them up. After that I didn't have this problem any
              more...

              HTH

              - Alex W.

              "Trust in God.