I did it !!

  • The Prez
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
      Just to announce to the world that I completed my first railmodel kit, Robert's Center Beam Car kit:

      http://www.theprez.it/milw/milw_cb1.jpg

      http://www.theprez.it/milw/milw_cb3.jpg

      Beside some problems with decals, as usual, it was quite straight forward
      also for a mess maker like me :-)

      I have another Milwaukee and a BN cars ready in the shop to enhance my skill.

      Ciao!

      Alex

      PS. Robert, to have a back-up set of decals in the kit would be really appreciated...

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
        Alex,

        Great job! The center beam looks great. I am sure you are thrilled to have a
        new piece of Milwaukee Road equipment for you layout.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
          Alex

          Most excellent job! Any kit or scratch building is Great Building!
          Keep up the great work! Don't worry about the decals, they look
          good!

          Tim
        • The Prez
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
            > I am sure you are thrilled to have a
            > new piece of Milwaukee Road equipment for you layout.

            Yes ! Never enough!

            Just saw that MTL October announcement does not include the MILW F7 :-(
            I hope it will not be Z style long waiting...

            Alex
          • Michael Hilliard
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
              Your pics do not show any difficulty with decals, looks great. However, I'm very curious about the UP passenger cars in the back ground : ) I have a feeling you'll have no problems getting extra M.R. decals if really needed from Robert, but I can't speak for him. Keep up the great Z work.

              Michael Hilliard
              P.S. I always try to provide 3 decals for each single car in case of mess ups, or defects. In other words, If I say for 2 cars, you can usually do 3 if you don't make any mistakes.

              The Prez <theprez@...> wrote:

              Just to announce to the world that I completed my first railmodel kit, Robert's Center Beam Car kit:

              http://www.theprez.it/milw/milw_cb1.jpg

              http://www.theprez.it/milw/milw_cb3.jpg

              Beside some problems with decals, as usual, it was quite straight forward
              also for a mess maker like me :-)

              I have another Milwaukee and a BN cars ready in the shop to enhance my skill.

              Ciao!

              Alex

              PS. Robert, to have a back-up set of decals in the kit would be really appreciated...

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Robert Ray
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                The Prez wrote:
                > PS. Robert, to have a back-up set of decals in the kit would be
                really appreciated...

                First, you did an excellent job with the kit! Congratulations!

                Second, you are right, cutting decals is the hardest part of
                construction, and prone to ruining the decals. I tried to keep costs
                down as low as possible, with the laser cutting time being the real
                cost of the kit, but I probably should have added another set of
                decals for redundancy, just like I did with the car end ladders in
                case of breakage, and a few other tiny details.

                When I release the next bodystyle of centerbeam cars, I will add a
                second set. :)

                -Robert
              • The Prez
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004

                  > Your pics do not show any difficulty with decals, looks great.

                  I did not post the shots where you can see the problem. :-))
                  In particular the letter "D" of Road is awful.

                  >However, I'm very curious about the UP passenger cars in the back ground
                  >: )

                  It is a wonderful set from Uncle Will, I now use it as consist for the
                  Omaha - Chicago
                  UP-Milw joint service, there is a modified AZL E8 in Milw livery pulling it.

                  http://www.theprez.it/milw/Milw_e9.jpg

                  I have also other 2 custom passenger sets from Uncle Will (that I hope
                  will resume soon from hurricane problems) a Milw set and a NYC one.

                  Ciao,

                  Alex
                • Glen Chenier
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "The Prez" <theprez@f...> wrote:

                    > Just to announce to the world that I completed my first railmodel
                    kit, Robert's Center Beam Car kit:

                    Great work, Alex. That is a very nice looking model.
                  • The Prez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Is the Milw set from Uncle Will something he did just for you or was it offered on Ebay? What was the cost?

                      Jim, Uncle Will had some custom passenger setson ebay I believe in 2002-2003, I don't remember the exact story but
                      I believe he comissioned them from Pennzee. The cost is something that I always accurately and deliberately forget.

                      Alex

                    • Mei Mei/Vincent Goudreault
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                        > Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:47:03 -0000
                        > From: "Robert Ray" <pray59@...>
                        > Subject: Re: I did it !!
                        >
                        > The Prez wrote:
                        >> PS. Robert, to have a back-up set of decals in the kit would be
                        > really appreciated...
                        >
                        > First, you did an excellent job with the kit! Congratulations!
                        >
                        > Second, you are right, cutting decals is the hardest part of
                        > construction, and prone to ruining the decals. I tried to keep costs
                        > down as low as possible, with the laser cutting time being the real
                        > cost of the kit, but I probably should have added another set of
                        > decals for redundancy, just like I did with the car end ladders in
                        > case of breakage, and a few other tiny details.
                        >
                        > When I release the next bodystyle of centerbeam cars, I will add a
                        > second set. :)
                        >
                        > -Robert

                        Any chance the TTX and BN ones will be in stock again soon?
                        I go check out the Feather River site from time to time, and I don't
                        know if I am unlucky or always gets beaten to them, but it seems
                        the BN and the TTX kits are always sold out... :-(

                        CBVG
                      • Robert Ray
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Mei Mei/Vincent Goudreault wrote:
                          > Any chance the TTX and BN ones will be in stock again soon?
                          > I go check out the Feather River site from time to time, and I don't
                          > know if I am unlucky or always gets beaten to them, but it seems
                          > the BN and the TTX kits are always sold out... :-(

                          I think Chuck is swamped, so he did not update his website yet, but he
                          does have them in stock. I shipped him both of those roadnames this
                          week, and when I called him today, he said he just got the package. I
                          have an order of materials coming in next week, so I'll run another
                          batch of BN and TTX to restock Chuck again. I would never have guessed
                          they would be so popular, and originally guessed I would sell 50 or so.

                          I just shipped a few of the new Issaquah Station Kits to Chuck today,
                          so those should show up by tomorrow or Monday. I only made a few to
                          test the demand, but my order of materials is due next week so I can
                          make more if needed. Once Chuck see's the station kits, he will update
                          his site for sure!

                          -Robert
                        • Tom Fisher
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
                            If it is not confidential for marketing, etc. reasons,
                            how many cars have been sold? Broken down by road?

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
                              Can I get one of the station kits directly from you next Sunday?

                              If yes, how much are they?