Fw: [Z_Scale] Re: System Joerger Speed Regulators

  • DaleHalterman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      Jeremy, This question must have slipped by you since a did not see an
      answer. I am also interested in knowing about this... Dale
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
        --- "DaleHalterman" <dnhalt@c...> wrote:
        >> Will the "System Joerger" Speed regulator work with the RELCO
        >> Track Cleaning generator?
        > Jeremy, This question must have slipped by you since a did not
        > see an answer. I am also interested in knowing about this.

        Dale, it didn't slip by, but I wanted to give a definitive answer, so
        I've been doing further experiments. But I can't beat the laws of
        physics!

        The short answer is: NO, the new "De Luxe" speed regulator will not
        work with electronic track cleaners like the Relco and Gaugemaster.

        The long answer is still "no", but there is an explanation. The
        regulator uses feedback from the motor to keep the speed constant. At
        slow speeds the feedback (counter-EMF) is very small - for example:
        at its slowest, one of my 5-pole motors produces 80 millivolts
        immediately after the end of the pulse, which dies away to zero after
        about 5 milliseconds. This is enough: the slight variations from one
        pulse to the next are used to adjust the pulse width and rate, so
        that the average feedback, and therefore the average speed, is
        constant.

        Unfortunately electronic track cleaners pass the track power through
        a small transformer - this is how the high frequency, high voltage is
        injected onto the track - and the winding acts as an inductance which
        distorts the feedback from the motor. The distortion happens even if
        the track cleaner is not powered! The regulator can make no sense of
        the distorted feedback, so the speed goes haywire and the loco
        travels too fast or not smoothly. There seems to be no cure.
        Distortion also occurs if the track power is passed through a diode
        or a transistor.

        If you want to try it for yourself, if you use a Relco be sure to
        wire the blue capacitor across the track terminals on the regulator -
        the Gaugemaster has a capacitor built in.

        The alternative to an electronic track cleaner is clean track, and
        maybe a touch of Wahl oil. The regulator indicates when the loco has
        lost contact with the track by lighting the LED, so it is fairly easy
        to find the trouble spots and take remedial action. Because the
        regulator uses pulse power it is not as susceptible to track problems
        as a pure-DC controller.

        Jeremy.
      • Torsja
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
          <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
          > --- "DaleHalterman" <dnhalt@c...> wrote:
          > >> Will the "System Joerger" Speed regulator work with the RELCO
          > >> Track Cleaning generator?

          > The short answer is: NO, the new "De Luxe" speed regulator will
          not work with electronic track cleaners like the Relco and
          Gaugemaster.

          > Jeremy.

          Thank you for your testing and your answer Jeremy.
          It's good to know if I deside to by one or more off this regulators.

          Torsja - Norway