2001 Moderator's Message

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
      Happy Millennium to One and All!

      Here is a report on the state of our group, even if it's more than you want to know ;-)

      As of January 1, 200,1 Z_Scale@egroups.com has 252 members. That may seem like a lot and it is quite reasonable considering that the N scale group has 1500 members. I had hoped that our group would pass the 10% of N scale membership in 2000. We have done exceptionally well with about 17% of N scale membership numbers.

      We should continue to grow in 2001 since Ztrack readership is aver 500 subscribers. I invite every member to do what he or she can to encourage other Z scale enthusiasts to join us. Tell your colleagues about the list. Add a link to the list to your personal web site (as many have already done).

      Our Z_Scale site has become a rich meeting place for Z enthusiasts. The number of postings to the group has risen steadily to the point where we set an all time record in December 2000. See the attached graphic for monthly posting figures.

      As you can see, postings are way above 1999 levels and more and more members are participating in discussions.

      What can we do to improve the quality of our Z experience on Z_Scale?

      Ist: ask your questions of the group and contribute your own experiences to the discussion.

      Obviously, this is already doing well. Keep it up!

      2nd: introduce yourselves to the group.

      What are your modeling interests? How is the layout coming along? What are your projects? challenges? successes?

      3rd: inform the group of upcoming events where Z will be displayed.

      Post a message to the group and update the 'Calendar'. Don't forget, you have access to all of the functions provided by Egroups to Z_Scale.

      4th: upload pictures, links and files to the group in the 'Files' or 'Links' sections.

      As this group develops, we will be able to offer a great reference resource to the Z community. Your suggestions for new folders are welcome at all times. Some of the Folders that have been created are:

      DCC-info for digital command control in Z
      WhoAreWe-member introductions
      TrackPlanning-software aids
      Photos-pictures of layouts, Z scalers, events, hobby shops etc.
      Z Scalers WELCOME-a new folder listing Z layouts available for visitors

      The WELCOME folder is one that I hope will come to contain dozens of layouts available for viewing by appointment across North America, Europe and Australia. Our world is crisscrossed by tourists and business travelers. There is nothing more satisfying than meeting other Z nuts. Travelling is much more enjoyable when there is the opportunity to visit with another Z scale modeler and to share the wonder of seeing other Z creations. For those of you who are hesitating about listing your layout, there is no obligation to open your home to anyone. However, from my own personal experience, the joy of sharing ideas and perceptions with other modelers is very satisfying and well worth the time invested.

      5th: encourage gatherings of Z scalers through the group.

      As you know, last year was a record year for Z scale gatherings. First, there was the highly successful Richardson, TX, Z mini-meet where over 100 enthusiasts gathered for a day of running trains, gossip and door prizes. Second, there was the annual Marklin day in Long Beach, CA, where many modelers had the opportunity to attend 2 workshops put on by Rob Kluz of Ztrack Magazine. Third, there was the 2000 National Train Show in San Jose, CA, where 19,000 people had the opportunity to see two Z scale layouts in full and glorious operation, the Poor Valley and Debt City RR (Terry Sutfin) and the Val Ease Central RR (myself). We also met with 45 other Z scalers during the show, had door prizes, dressed in formal wear and had a great time at our 1st annual Z Banquet.

      We had so much fun that we want to do even more in 2001. Plan to come to NTS2001 in Saint Louis, MO, July 15-18 even if it's just for a day. NTS2001 will be the site of the world's largest Z scale modular layout. Several Z manufacturers will be in attendance as well as the VEC and the PVDC and perhaps your layout, too! We're planning a banquet (more of a group supper really) and Terry and I will have our formal wear! You won't want to miss this gathering. :-)

      6th: suggest polls to the moderator or start them yourselves.

      I have a poll in mind that will begin later today. I want your feelings about opening the 'Messages' section of our group to the public, that is, non-members of the group. It may be easier to attract new members if beginners had access to the messages without first being required to join Egroups. On the other hand, perhaps you would not feel comfortable posting messages that are are more readily accessible. In any case, keep in mind that this group has an open membership, all are welcome to join without restriction.

      7th: tell me what you like and dislike about the list and send along suggestions for development.

      The list has grown without any real plan up to now. If there are things that you would like to see improved upon, please let me know. How about a 'Storefront' where manufacturers can place web specials for list members? What other ideas do you have?

      That's enough for now!

      Have a safe holiday and I look forward to sharing a great year with you in 2001.

      Best regards,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      Moderator
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2001
        Dear Jeff,

        yes, I am here again.

        I guess, we may have to clarify, if your call is adressed only to American Scale
        Z fans or if subscribers of other countries are invited as well. Sometimes I
        have the impression, Ztrack and z_scale is merely adressed to US citizens.

        Yes, there are Scale z fans of American rail roading out there in this world.

        In Switzerland e.g. a special group of American rail roaders does exist. And
        they organize an annual exhibition of American rail roads.

        regards

        Dieter

        Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:

> [...]
        > non-members of the group. It may be easier to attract new members if
        > beginners had access to the messages without first being required to join
        > Egroups. On the other hand, perhaps you would not feel comfortable posting
        > messages that are are more readily accessible. In any case, keep in mind
        > that this group has an open membership, all are welcome to join without
        > restriction.
        >
        > 7th: tell me what you like and dislike about the list and send along
        > suggestions for development.
        >
        > The list has grown without any real plan up to now. If there are things that
        > you would like to see improved upon, please let me know. How about a
        > 'Storefront' where manufacturers can place web specials for list members?
        > What other ideas do you have?
        >
        > That's enough for now!
        >
        > Have a safe holiday and I look forward to sharing a great year with you in

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
          Hi Dieter and Zealots everywhere,

          In reponse to your observations, this list is open to Z modelers from across
          the universe. In fact we have members residing in 19 countries last time I
          tried to do a census. The largest group is from the USA however an earlier
          poll of our members showed a good mix of NA and European Z interests.

          My NY2001 comments were designed as an invitation to the world wide Z
          community. As you may have noticed, we have regular postings from Sweden,
          Finland, Japan, Germany, Canada, Australia, Italy, Belgium, France, USA
          amongst others. I am interested in reading reports of Z happenings anywhere
          and seeing pictures of everyone's layouts etc. I can't get enough Z!

          As for favoring US Z, I do a lot of reporting to this list about my
          adventures which, so far, have taken place in Canada and the US. I'm hoping
          that great ambassadors of Z like you, Dieter, will contribute their Z
          experiences and anecdotes. Invite your Swiss friends to join the list so
          that we can put their train show on our vacation calendar.

          Corresponding with the members of this list is like chatting with a group of
          friends. Two years go I had a wonderful visit for a couple of days from a
          Swedish Z scaler living in Norway. We had a great time because we had a
          shared passion for our miniature trains. Hopefully, some day, I'll get a
          chance to visit with my Z friends outside of North America. But in the
          meantime, I get to visit with you through the list.

          I have known many model railroaders but the finest people I have met in the
          hobby are Z enthusiasts. Maybe some of you have an opinion on why that
          might be the case. :-)

          I'm looking forward to your March train show report, Dieter... ;-)

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
            Dear Jeff,

            first of all, please call in at my home in Essen-Kettwig in Germany, if you are
            able to make it to this part of the world!!! I do promise: We will have a great
            time!! Within and outside of scale Z.

            Why Z-enthusiasts are so fine people?? Easy answer: they are, at 1:220 scale,
            finetuned by definition. So, they read between the lines and listen carefull.
            Therefore they are able to respond very gentle!

            Greetings

            Dieter

            E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
              In a message dated 1/3/01 8:45:30 PM, Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... writes:

              << I guess, we may have to clarify, if your call is addressed only to
              American Scale
              Z fans or if subscribers of other countries are invited as well. Sometimes I
              have the impression, Ztrack and z_scale is merely addressed to US citizens. >>

              I am sorry if we have given you that impression. Ztrack is open to all Z
              scalers every where! We currently reach subscribers in 18 countries. Of
              course our base is in the United States, but we try to include information
              about Z scale from all corners of the world. I am actually looking for more
              articles on European Z scale layouts and products. As stated in the my last
              Perspective, we seem to receive a large number of articles about US western
              and southern railroads. We are eager to see more articles on Eastern US roads
              and European layouts.

              A side note, Ztrack is an English print only magazine. I would love to offer
              a German language supplement, but unfortunately, we cannot do this at this t
              ime.

              Dieter, keep up the good work promoting US Z scale in Europe. My home layout
              is actually of German prototype! When I go to shows, it is rare to see any
              European rolling stock, no matter what the scale may be.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com
            • Jeffrey MacHan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2001
                Hi once again, Dieter,

                I was thinking that you should get the last word on this thread but I
                changed my mind :-)

                You can expect a call from me whenever I get the opportunity to visit
                Germany. The best time to visit from a Z point of view would be the Cologne
                train show, I suppose? I did some research about it and learned that there
                were 135,000 visitors at the last edition! 135,000!!! I thought that our
                NMRA nationals were impressive with 21,000...lesson learned.

                ***Warning: the following 2 paragraphs are a shameless unpaid advertisement
                for the Val Ease Central Railroad. No animals were harmed in the production
                of this text***

                I should find a way to take my layout over to the world's largest model
                train show. I'm trying to reach 1 million passengers on the VEC and Cologne
                would certainly move me closer to that goal. The VEC has carried 610,000 up
                to now. "Passengers" are the number of official attendees at the train
                shows where the VEC has been on exhibit.

                The largest "event" in terms of attendees where I am sure that every one of
                them actually saw the VEC was at the Qu�bec Museum of Civilization in Qu�bec
                City where the VEC was on exhibit for a full year (April 1997-April 1998) as
                the only operating element of the exhibition. 385,000 paid visitors came to
                the apply named "Zoom sur les miniatures". It was an amazing show and a
                great honour to have been invited to participate by the Museum.

                ***End of unpaid advertisement. We now return to our regular posting.***

                I read the ZClub92 Revue English version of your Texas layout article today.
                Congratulations! It sounds like a super layout and one that will
                certainly entertain the crowds at the March train show. From your
                description, you have some interesting projects on the drawing board. How
                has the work progressed so far? Do you have a couple of photos that you can
                share with us?

                I used to operate a trencher during a summer job with the CNR in Thunder
                Bay, Ontario. I'm curious to see your pipeline trencher as well as your
                well heads ;-)

                Take care,
                Jeffrey MacHan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2001
                  Dear Jeff,

                  well, the last word may switch back and forth between us. Why not? Also this
                  results in a lively and fruitful dialogue, isn't it?

                  Timing of a visit to Germany, Z-related:
                  There are also other important exhibitions in Germany related to scale Z.

                  In March, we have a big Modell Train Show in Sinsheim. There, I intend
                  to show my layout, because this exhibition-management asks modell rail
                  roaders to bring foreward to the open their home layouts.
                  In April, we have a big Show of modells of all sorts, also of modell
                  rail roaders in Dortmund. This show is as big as Cologne.
                  In May, in odd years, i.e. in 2001, we have a Maerklin sponsored show in
                  Goeppingen. This is also a big event, you may expect.

                  So, pick your date, there are several chances to visit a fair (and to visit my
                  home!).

                  Is there a chance to get a more close description of your VEC layout? I am keen
                  to learn American rail roading.

                  Pictures of my lay out you may find in my article in CR 4/2000 of the 'Z Club
                  92', the English translation (I did) you already read.

                  Regards

                  Dieter

                  -Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2001
                    In a message dated 1/6/01 7:05:50 PM, Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... writes:

                    << In May, in odd years, i.e. in 2001, we have a Maerklin sponsored show in

                    Goeppingen. This is also a big event, you may expect. >>

                    Märklin Inc is sponsoring a trip for their club members to Germany. The trip
                    is scheduled from Thursday, May 3rd through Friday, May 11, 2001. One of the
                    first items on the agenda is a day and half at the Modelbahn Treff show in
                    Goeppingen! The group will also receive a tour of the Märklin factory in
                    Goeppingen. A lot of sightseeing is planned as well.

                    This is the 2nd time Märklin Inc has done a club tour to Germany in
                    conjunction with the Treff show. And yes, I know of one Z scaler who will be
                    going on the trip . I can't wait! The last time I was in Germany, I purchased
                    my fist Z scale starter set. Wow, that was 16 years ago now.

                    For more information on the trip and their club, contact Märklin Inc. at
                    (262) 784-0717, ask for Brenda or Tracy.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com
                  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 10, 2001
                      Dear Jeff,

                      sory that you were not aware of this event.
                      Please give me an e-mail, if you attend a Treff in Goeppingen sometimes in
                      future. Then I am keen to meet you there or to meet you in my house.
                      Your VAL lay out looks very impressive. How do you 'bridge' the tracks between
                      the three modules?

                      Well, I try my best to finalize my lay out for the Sinsheim Fair. However, as of
                      today I had no time to 'Model Rail Roading'.

                      I let you know of the outcome.

                      Cheers

                      Dieter

                      Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
                      > Hi Rob,
                      >
                      > You sneaky devil! Why didn't you tell me earlier? I need about a year's
                      > warning before an event so that I can make arrangements for freeing up
                      > vacation days and cash reserves. :-(
                      >
                      > I'm sad for me but happy for you, lucky dog.
                      >
                      > I expect a full report to the list although you'll certainly write something
                      > for Ztrack, natch.
                      >
                      > Will have to add this event to the 'Calender', fer shur.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Jeffrey MacHan
                      >

                      > >From: ztrack@...
                      > >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                      > >Subject: Re: [z_scale] 2001 Moderator's Message
                      > >Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:28:57 EST
                      > >

                      > >In a message dated 1/6/01 7:05:50 PM, Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... writes:
                      > >
                      > ><< In May, in odd years, i.e. in 2001, we have a Maerklin sponsored show in
                      > >
                      > > Goeppingen. This is also a big event, you may expect. >>
                      > >
                      > >Märklin Inc is sponsoring a trip for their club members to Germany. The
                      > >trip
                      > >is scheduled from Thursday, May 3rd through Friday, May 11, 2001. One of
                      > >the
                      > >first items on the agenda is a day and half at the Modelbahn Treff show in
                      > >Goeppingen! The group will also receive a tour of the Märklin factory in
                      > >Goeppingen. A lot of sightseeing is planned as well.
                      > >
                      > >This is the 2nd time Märklin Inc has done a club tour to Germany in
                      > >conjunction with the Treff show. And yes, I know of one Z scaler who will
                      > >be
                      > >going on the trip . I can't wait! The last time I was in Germany, I
                      > >purchased
                      > >my fist Z scale starter set. Wow, that was 16 years ago now.
                      > >
                      > >For more information on the trip and their club, contact Märklin Inc. at
                      > >(262) 784-0717, ask for Brenda or Tracy.
                      > >
                      > >Rob Kluz
                      > >
                      > >Ztrack Magazine
                      > >6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > >Dublin, OH 43016